XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XK8 Owner here with some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New XK8 Owner here with some questions..

I just picked up a 1998 XK8 convertible and had a few questions..

Out of the two headlights, one of each bulb is burnt out, the small one, the middle, and the outsideside one, can you guys/girls tell me what they are called to find replacements and which kind should I get?

I would like white, what K should I get, or LED, or?

It also says "tail light fail"? not sure what that means...

Does this car have heated seats by chance?

And what are the two round knobs for on the left side of wheel, behind the stereo controls?

Is there a place to buy clear side markers, a replacement for the yellow light covers a foot behind the headlights on the sides of the car?

What about changing the colored small lights on the headlights?

Stereo cover housing if I want to take out the stock radio and replace it with a CD player?

Is there a way to keep the antenna from going up, as in keep it locked down for good, but something that can easily be reversed?

Sorry for all the questions..... hope you guys/girls can help..
that's it for now...... thanks!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 PM

And also the heat works when at idle/parked, but when I drive it becomes cold, any ideas? thanks

Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

for heated seats you should have some controls in center console that look like seats. if not it is an easy addition

Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

do you have the drivers handbook, the info for lights and the knobs is in there. i am away from my car at this time.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum. I will try to answer as many questions as I can right now, but have a look through here too: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

THe headlights are as follows, the outside bulbs are the low beams, the middle lights are high beams, the inside low are signal lights, and the tiny lights are marker lights. I believe the low beams are H1 and the high beams are 9005. Consider HIR bulbs and check out this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e...m-lamps-37558/

For the side reflectors, Adamesh (adamesh.co.uk) has clear ones. Here is a nice thread about them: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-lights-37994/

This thread is a great one for stereo work. Towards the end it outlines the combination of parts you will need to fit a standard DIN unit in the dash: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ubwoofer-6734/

For the antenna, I recommend the switch mod outlined here: Disconnecting the power antenna - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Tail light fail could simply be that one of the rear bulbs is out, or of the wrong type, or it could be more serious.

Check the center controls for two buttons with seats on them to see if you have heated seats (I'd post a picture, but I'm at work right now)

The rear knobs on the steering wheel are for controlling the wheels tilt and telescope as well as turning off the automatic tilt/telescope. The back knob adjusts the instrument brightness.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:57 AM
GGG
Received 16,823 Likes on 12,178 Posts

Is there a way to keep the antenna from going up, as in keep it locked down for good, but something that can easily be reversed?

Keith has given you a link to the switched solution. A simple alternative if you want to keep it locked down for good is to pull Fuse 9 (10 amp) in the Luggage Compartment fuse box whilst the Audio system is switched off and the aerial is down. Then, when you switch on the audio system, the aerial will stay down until you replace the fuse.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Ok thanks for the help.

It says low coolant and I dipped a white paper towel in the coolant and it came out yellow, and if I need to add some coolant, what kind is the yellow? How do I know how much to add and do I add straight coolant or delute it 50% with distilled water?

How hard is it to replace the three lights that are out and is there a video for this?

I tried checking the oil, is it the dip stick with the red handle, between the engine and window washer fluid yellow cap on the drivers side? It was at a level in the middle between the two holes? Is this where it needs to be?

What else should I check if I just bought the car?

I tried downloading the manuals but it wouldn't let me.

How hard is it to check to see if my tensioners are bad or have been replaced? I heard maybe you can remove the oil pan and look for plastic peices?

Is there anyone who can run my vin and email me a print out from a Jaguar dealership to see what has been done to this car?

Anyone in the Chicago area that can help me get my leather seat fixed from the normal wear spot on the drivers seat?

What is a good price to pay for an oil change? And how many miles in-between?

Thanks

Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The only way to check the tensioner situation is to remove one or both valve covers and inspect them. The reason I mention both covers is that more than one owner has posted that one side had been changed and not the other. Your car came with the first generation versions so it is imperative that the metal tensioners be verified or installed. I have removed my covers twice without changing the gaskets but any professional shop is going to insist on replacing them. Here is a pictorial on removing the valve covers. That is about half of the work of the tensioner replacement. Remember that the '00 Lincoln LS used the Jaguar engine and the 'Ford' parts are substantially less than 'Jaguar' parts although exactly the same. Your car cannot use the LS gasket set unfortunately.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...17/#post316489

Old 12-19-2011, 03:52 AM
GGG

Orange coolant is long life. Top up the header Tank to the bottom of the filler neck with 50% solution. If you don't know the service history of your car, it might be a good plan to drain and refill to make sure the concentration is correct.

Lights - not difficult to change bulbs and covered with illustrations in the Vehicle Care Manual. The 'tail light fail' is either exactly what it says (a bulb out) or can be caused by an out-of-spec bulb.

Oil level: yes it's the red 'T' handled dipstick and the level should be in the hatched area with the car standing on level ground.

Oil change: annually or every 10,000 miles - whichever comes first

Other checks: once you reach 10 posts, you'll be able to dowload. The Vehicle Care Manual covers most of your questions so far. Apart from checking the fluids (don't forget the steering reservoir), lights and making sure all the electrics work, I always take all the wheels off to check tyre wear, brake disk condition, brake pad wear, suspension and steering.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 AM

I talked to a local guy and he said he can take of the oil pan and see if there is any "plastic pieces" and this would indicate that they are no good? Does this make sense?

And would it be possible for the tensioners to have been replaced but still have some under this oil pan?

If I have the guy take off both valve covers to check, how long should this take if he knows what he is doing?
=====
If the current coolant is yellow, and I want to top it off, what kind is it, should I buy?

Header tank is where you unscrew the cap where it says "coolan"?

If I pay someone to change the bulbs, all three, two in one headlight and one in the other, how long should that take, again if he knows what he is doing?

Thanks - really appreciate the help!

Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

Pulling the pan is a really strange way of inspecting the tensioners. If you find plastic you still do not know if the tensioners have been changed. Most folks do not clean out the pan even with a failed tensioner as there is a screen on the oil suction to stop big particles. If you do not find plastic you still do not know if the tensioners have been changed.

Pulling and replacing a valve cover should take about 1 hour. If you find plastic change it and then pull the other valve cover. Total time should be about 4 hours, both sides, both tensioners. Took me 4 hours and I didn't know what I was doing.

Without a maintenance history on the car a complete antifreeze flush and refill is appropriate. The big reason to change antifreeze is for the corrosion protection which is based on years, not miles. Fill the system with the type called for on your reservoir tank. Jaguar has used both yellow and orange.

The following users liked this post:
Windycityx (12-19-2011)
Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 AM

What is the cost of the tensioners if I did it myself?

If I did pay a Jaguar tech on the side, what is the going rate per hour to pay him, side money, not normal tech rates?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 PM
GGG

Q. If the current coolant is yellow, and I want to top it off, what kind is it, should I buy?

A. With the same type but you presumably have no bills from the PO to indicate what this is?

I always use Jaguar Coolant. The container is labelled 'passes ASTM D3306'. The Vehicle Care Handbook gives 'WSS M97B44-D' so this is the specification to look for if you want to use another supplier.

Header tank is where you unscrew the cap where it says "coolan"?

A. Yes - ensure the engine is cold before you take this off.

Attachment 15134

Old 12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Take your time and read as many of the older posts that you can.You will need a reasonable tool kit and a good jack and axle stands.Be careful that you know what you are taking on and do it safely.Like I say read the posts and understand them otherwise you could make an expensive mistake.

Keep safe Al

Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

First off welcome to the forum. You must replace the upper tensioners at least with the latest metal tensioners. I did mine my self in April of this year. I posted pics and a detailed discussion dated o5-03-2011. You can find that thread by clicking on my name above "EZDriver". Then click on "Statistics" and then click on " all threads started by EZDriver. The thread is on the second page at the top titled "Experience & pics of replacing upper cam chain tensioners".

If you have any questions you can send me a personnel note.

EZDriver 95XJ6 2000XK8

Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

The tensioners are not difficult to DIY.

If you purchase the Lincoln LS tensioners and the 4 new shorter bolts required and do not replace the gaskets you are looking at something under $130. Add $70 for the gasket set as you cannot use the $40 FelPro set for the LS. Then you have to borrow, rent or buy the cam lock down tools. Usually buy them for $400 or less and get something like $325 back when returned. Or you can do the zip tie method and bypass the special tool issue. The other tools needed are a simple socket set and a 10MM Allen wrench.

Lots of information on the process with pictures on this forum. Read up on everything until you get comfortable.

Cannot really comment on local labor rates. Most dealers get $120+ per hour, indy's maybe $90+. Private cash work less.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 AM

I will try to look into the tensioners a little more later on today, I did send an email to my local Jaguar dealership asking them to run the vin and send me the results, haven't heard back. Anyone here work at a Jaguar dealership who can email me the service history?

I need to add some coolant as I am still waiting to get everything together to see what services to get done, so in the meantime will this coolant be ok to add/top off with?

Prestone 50/50 prediluted antifreesze coolant = it says it is for all makes, all models, and can be added with any color antifreeze on the bottle?

How from the top of the cap do I fill it too?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Hey I need to find, buy and install the two plastic pieces with the round holes in them near the wiindshield on both sides, how hard are these to take off or install?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM

Hey I need to take off the piece of wood like the on in the picture at the top, all the way on the right. I think there may be an air bag behind it?

How do I take off my old one ad put a new one on? I do have a 1998 btw if that makes a difference, as I think the one in the picture may be newer.

The old one has some scratches on it?

Also need to get a new shift knob as it is cracked as well, I was able to simply unsrew it, is that normal, no special tools needed?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Windycityx
I will try to look into the tensioners a little more later on today, I did send an email to my local Jaguar dealership asking them to run the vin and send me the results, haven't heard back. Anyone here work at a Jaguar dealership who can email me the service history?

I need to add some coolant as I am still waiting to get everything together to see what services to get done, so in the meantime will this coolant be ok to add/top off with?

Prestone 50/50 prediluted antifreesze coolant = it says it is for all makes, all models, and can be added with any color antifreeze on the bottle?

How from the top of the cap do I fill it too?

Thanks!
Prestone website says this product is 'extended life' + 'compatible with any antifreeze' + 'suitable for aluminium'. Got to be a better option than running low on coolant or topping up with plain water as a short term fix.

Fill to the bottom of the filler neck - so that's about half an inch from the very top of the tank.

Quick Reply: New XK8 Owner here with some questions..