XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly Purchased 1997 XK8 Convertible, but.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly Purchased 1997 XK8 Convertible, but.....

Hello all,

I am new to this board. Today i just purchased a 1997 Jag XK8 for a super cheap price, but it has several issues. I was hoping to run these by yall and hopefully yall can give me some direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated
  • Rear Passenger Window - When i try to put the top down, the rear passenger window does not move. It then gets real loose and drops part of the way down, as if it is off track. Is this easily fixed?? It also has a gap between the front window, (very small) when rolled up. I have to manually grab the window and push it up.
  • Convertible top - With the problem mentioned above, it doesn't even budge. The driver side window lowers all the way, the passenger window does not move at first, then partially drops and the top does not budge. Any ideas??
  • The engine has a slight miss. The previous owner had the car parked in his driveway for over a year and didn't run it much, if at all. I drove it home, but it doesn't have much power and has a rough idle. Should i do a normal tune-up? is it easily accomplished on this car? I noticed the air intake hose it cracked up at the flexible portions of it.
  • The convertible roof top is pretty dirty, but doesn't leak. Is there a great product to clean it?
Thanks for your help guys. I have always been a Mustang guy, so i am pretty good wrenching on cars, but this looks like a entirely different beast, so i wanted to get some tips. Thanks again.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I would bet that wrapping some tape around the air intake will make it run much better. It's surprising that you don't have a check engine light on. Normally that crack will cause a lean condition and then the CEL will come on.

The rear window issue is fixable, but I've heard it's a pain in the ***. There's a cable wrapped around a drum and when it comes off you it's a lot of work to get it back on. But still, it's not impossible or anything.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the convertible top. Are you saying that it doesn't go down at all?

Old 08-13-2011, 11:01 PM

no, it doesn't go down at all. It doesn't even budge. all i have to do is press the button right?? sorry the previous owner doesn't have the manual to the car.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Gus will check in shortly, and he'll be helpful on that issue. I would first suggest checking the hydraulic fluid level. It's on the right side of the trunk behind the flexible "wall" above the CD changer. Also, there's a little T-handle on the pump, which is in the same location. Make sure that T handle is fully closed (clockwise).

Old 08-14-2011, 05:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

briand, Did you apply the parking brake prior to lowering the top? It will not work unless the parking brake is engaged.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:14 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The probable reason why your top is not going down is it's not getting a signal from the rear window you are having trouble with. The micro switch on the window is not engaging and telling the top that it's down. The top won't move til you fix the window. The parking brake has nothing to do with the top...when working properly the top can be put up or down at up to 5 mph.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by briand
no, it doesn't go down at all. It doesn't even budge. all i have to do is press the button right?? sorry the previous owner doesn't have the manual to the car.
You can download the manual here: TOPIx - TOPIx

You may have to select model year 2000, it looks like that is the earliest one posted, but it should be 99% applicable.

It will be worth the effort.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

A few quick thoughts as you get started.

It is possible to severly damage ($$) the top by trying to open it manually. Be sure you have read and understand the procedure for this if you decide to try it.

Can you hear the pump spinning when you try to open the top? A very different list of suspects emerges if the pump is running than if it is not. Try to open the top with the car's engine off. That way, for sure you will hear the pump if it is running.

Don't take offense, but the top up/down switch is a rocker ... be sure you're rocking it toward "open".

Good luck.

Last edited by Dennis07; 08-14-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

The rear window doesn't have to be down to lower the top. I installed a switch to manually control my rear windows, and I can raise and lower the top with the windows up (Yes... I forgot one time. That's how I know. No harm done, though )

Old 08-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If your roof is not opening you need to check the fuses and relays, the fluid level and the petcock closed. Also if it is not opening with the button you can put your key in the door lock and turn it clockwise and see what happens. See if you can hear the pump running. I have a lot of information on my page that should help. I will check in as often as I can but want to spend a little time with our new granddaughter. So forgive me if I do not respond quickly. I will provide links but unless you have full access you may not be able to see the pages just manually enter the link to my main page and look around. I am in the process of rewriting all my information. Your 97 xk8 might have the first generation of hoses that should be in your favor. Also if your fluid in the reservoir is green you should be ok if not and it looks brown the fluid will need to be changed. Like I said I will try to check in and help I know others will be involved to help.

Auto Repair
System Evaluation
Hydraulic Fluid
Hyd Roof Operation

Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM

thanks everyone, this gives me a good start.

One more thing, the check engine light came on this morning and also a poor performance reading. Is there an easy way to check codes, if so, does an autopart store have the capability of checking? I am sure that the scanner would cost a bunch of money. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

When you say "poor performance", do you mean "restricted performance"? That's a message that pops up on the display when the ECU detects a problem that could damage the engine. It restricts the output of the engine to allow you to "limp home".

Any auto parts store will read your codes for free, but you could start by taping up that leak in the intake. It's causing the engine to run lean, and that could cause the restricted performance.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:57 PM

i went to the local Auto Zone and they hooked up the code reader and it spit out the following:

Where can i find out what each means? For some reason he didn't know what each stood for????

Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

More than likely, those are all P-codes, and if you do a search on the forum header up there, typing in one, or multiple ones, you'll find much of what you seek.

P0207, P0300, P1316, P1643

P1000 (do not worry about this one, its jag proprietary, means codes were cleared and system cycles not complete). When it changes to P1111, you'll have all systems go.

Remember, the xk8-r (1997-2002) and xj8-r (1997-2003), even a few of the s-types have the same 4.0L engine, so lots of similar cross-reference threads that will apply, so consider including those sub-forums in your advanced search.

My first recommendation, read and read...the XK8-XKR Frequently Asked Questions. Its there for new members and new buyers of these cars, where 90% of your issues have already been addressed and linked - especially the 'major' ones.

Last edited by H20boy; 08-14-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: window

Hey briand, I just fixed my rear window the other day. It is very tricky, and very patience testing, but able to be done. I managed to fix mine in 5 hours, but that was rushing it. I am in the process of writing a how to, but do to the complexity, will take a lot of "steps". If you tackle it before I get it posted, shoot me a PM, and I will give you my telephone number and instruct over the phone. And that goes for anyone else doing this job as well. It can get a little frustrating and overwhelming at first, but once you get all the bugs worked out and fixed right, you will have a great dependable fun car. Dont give up, hang in there.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:14 PM

thanks everyone for the kind help. I didn't get as much done today as what i have liked to, but i have a 7 & 8 yr old, so i am sure yall can imagine. I will keep everyone posted on my progress and take some pics.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

The fact that you had a P1000 code tells me that the seller cleared the codes before you bought it in order to turn off the check engine light. That is pretty unscrupulous, and I wouldn't hold it against you if you tracked him down and slashed his tires.

Have you taped up the hole in your intake yet? That could solve most of your problems.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

With regard to your question about cleaning your top, I use 303 products. They make a convertible top cleaner and a sealer to keep out stains. Most auto part stores carry these products, or you can go to 303products.com to buy online. They both do a tremendous job.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don,t own a "Rag top", being in UK only be useful 2 days a effin year if lucky, but It breaks my heart when I hear stories like this! How the eff can previous owners let there cars get into such disrepair.
I agree with the Reverand, and think the seller was a cad and a charlatan- "Been on my drive a year son, havn,t run it much" What crap! heard it a thousand times!!!! But, with the help of this site it can be fixed! Hoorrarr!
Bob

Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Briand, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

And have you taped up your intake yet?

Quick Reply: Newly Purchased 1997 XK8 Convertible, but.....