XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nikasil engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nikasil engine problems

Looking at a 97 XK8 with 50,000 on it real clean coupe close to home,was wondering just what real problems I would find with the Nikasil engine and should I buy even at buy at low price.
Thanks
Bill

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM

I have three 1997 xk8, you can pay to have them tested. All three cars run great. Gus has some great stuff about it on his website.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 PM

That is great to hear but who is Gus?? and how do I find his web sight.
Thanks
Bill

Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 PM

Sorry about that here you go he has a great web site.
Gus
XK8 1999 113,000mi
XJ6 1995 155,000mi
Rav4 1996 258,000mi and counting
www.gusglikas.com/autorepair.htm
What it is what it ain’t and what it ought to be!
Don’t ask the question if you don’t want to hear the answer!

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

the best thing you can do with a nikasil engine is keep the oil changed every 3k and use engine restore with every change. it does wonders to maintain ring seal which is the issue

Old 02-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There are a lot of great posts on what to look for in a used Jaguar here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=29800

Hope you join us as a Jaguar owners.

tp

Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Nikasil stopped around 2000/2001, (steel liners from then on), so if a Nikasil engine has got to 2010, then it is probably going to last OK, But not Brutal's recommendation.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Nikasil stopped around 2000/2001, (steel liners from then on), so if a Nikasil engine has got to 2010, then it is probably going to last OK, But not Brutal's recommendation
Should read "But NOTE Brutal's recommendation", Sorry !!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Brutal:

Sorry to be so illiterated on this but, what does "engine restore" means?

(I happen to have an OK -so far- Nikasil engine)

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Thanks loads for the help,now just received a email from a friend who found a 2001 XKR with just over 60K on it. At 12000.00 would this be a good buy and would it have steal liners.
Thanks
Bill

Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Was on the phone last night getting the real facts on the Sulfur and the effects on the Nikasil eng. If it makes you feel any better today’s sulfur is <20ppm. If you have good compression and had not shown any evidence of starting issues you should be OK. However, fallowing Brutal’s suggestion is not a bad idea and I am working on that end now. The cylinder was has been a problem on the Nikasil 1997 – 2000 and Jaguar addressed it as cylinder washing. In fact they have a few TSB 303-52 & 303-35 relating to it, however, I do not have a copy of the TSB’s for you to read but I did put a few things together that may help and you can find them on my page at http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairNoStart.htm . This is a continuing process and it has taken me time to get the real information. I will get it to you as I pull it together. For now do not panic over Nikasil just take care of it and be aware of the effects of a short trip.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM

GUS THE BULLETINS BACK THEN APLIED TO A TOOL THAT WAS SENT OUT TO ALL DEALERS IN THE LATE 90'S. IT MEASURED THE AMOUNT OF BLOWBY WITH THE ENGINE IDLING. IF UNDER WARRANTY THE ENGINE WAS REPLACED IF IT EXCEEDED A CERTAIN AMOUNT. BUT IT WAS FOR JAGUAR TO GET A RELIABLE MEASUREMENT OF THE ISSUE RELATING TO BLOWBY CAUSE WE WOULD RECHECK AGAIN DOWN THE ROAD. WE REPLACED A FEW ENGINES, BUT NOT THAT MANY AND WE'RE ONE OF THE LARGEST. I REC ENGINE RESTORE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIANCE. AND FROM 1 CUSTOMER I HAD THAT LET HIS OIL CHANGES GOTO 20K MILES AND HAD SO MUCH BLOW BY THE AIRFILTER AND HOUSING WOULD BE SOAKED. HE SAID HE WAS ALWAYS TOO BUSY TO COME BY..."WHAT, GO TO A QUICK CHANGE THEN CAUSE NOW YOU NEED AN ENGINE!"
ANYWAY AFTER THAT I TOLD HIM TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3K, USE 10-40W INSTEAD OF 5-30W AND USE ENGINE RESTORE, AFTER A COUPLE OIL CHANGES AND CONSISTENT USE OF ENGINE RESTORE, HE WAS ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR ANOTHER 60K MILES AND NO MORE OIL SOAKED AIRCLEANERS. THEN HE TRADED THE CAR IN ON WHAT I DONT KNOW. BUT THE CHIROPRACTER I GO TO FOUND OUT I WORK ON JAGS AND SAID HE HAD A GOLFING BUDDY THAT HAD A POS JAG THAT NEEDED AN ENGINE IN 4 YRS AND 80K AND SAID HE'D NEVER GET ANOTHER. THEN HE TOLD ME HIS NAME AND I LAUGHED. i SAID "DID HE TELL YOU HE DID 20K MILE OIL CHANGES AND THATS WHY THE ENGINE NEEDED TO BE REPLACED?" TO WHICH HE SAID "WHAT A DUMBAZZ, NO HE DIDNT MENTION THAT!"
YOU KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF NIKASIL ENGINES OUT THERE STILL RUNNING STRONG, JUST REALLY DEPENDS ON THE CARE GIVEN THE ENGINE

The following users liked this post:
Bigvettefreak (10-22-2011)
Old 02-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Rev
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brutal
If my 98 XK8 has 110,000 miles on the engine, Has no blow-by or starting problems, would you still recommend 10w40 and restore?

On a side note. just getting ready to put cam tensioners in it, Still has 1st gen tensioner in it, Lucky I guess.

for a quick plug, Ken at Motorcar LTD is the MAN. ordered everything from cam tensioner to water pump, hoses,body parts, everything I needed was in stock and shipped that day, Thanks

The following users liked this post:
mdw1942 (01-23-2013)
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM

I would just to maintain good ring seal, its not gonna hurt.
Ken is great and we talk every couple weeks.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
GUS THE BULLETINS BACK THEN APLIED TO A TOOL THAT WAS SENT OUT TO ALL DEALERS IN THE LATE 90'S. IT MEASURED THE AMOUNT OF BLOWBY WITH THE ENGINE IDLING. IF UNDER WARRANTY THE ENGINE WAS REPLACED IF IT EXCEEDED A CERTAIN AMOUNT. BUT IT WAS FOR JAGUAR TO GET A RELIABLE MEASUREMENT OF THE ISSUE RELATING TO BLOWBY CAUSE WE WOULD RECHECK AGAIN DOWN THE ROAD. WE REPLACED A FEW ENGINES, BUT NOT THAT MANY AND WE'RE ONE OF THE LARGEST. I REC ENGINE RESTORE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIANCE. AND FROM 1 CUSTOMER I HAD THAT LET HIS OIL CHANGES GOTO 20K MILES AND HAD SO MUCH BLOW BY THE AIRFILTER AND HOUSING WOULD BE SOAKED. HE SAID HE WAS ALWAYS TOO BUSY TO COME BY..."WHAT, GO TO A QUICK CHANGE THEN CAUSE NOW YOU NEED AN ENGINE!"
ANYWAY AFTER THAT I TOLD HIM TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3K, USE 10-40W INSTEAD OF 5-30W AND USE ENGINE RESTORE, AFTER A COUPLE OIL CHANGES AND CONSISTENT USE OF ENGINE RESTORE, HE WAS ABLE TO DRIVE THE CAR ANOTHER 60K MILES AND NO MORE OIL SOAKED AIRCLEANERS. THEN HE TRADED THE CAR IN ON WHAT I DONT KNOW. BUT THE CHIROPRACTER I GO TO FOUND OUT I WORK ON JAGS AND SAID HE HAD A GOLFING BUDDY THAT HAD A POS JAG THAT NEEDED AN ENGINE IN 4 YRS AND 80K AND SAID HE'D NEVER GET ANOTHER. THEN HE TOLD ME HIS NAME AND I LAUGHED. i SAID "DID HE TELL YOU HE DID 20K MILE OIL CHANGES AND THATS WHY THE ENGINE NEEDED TO BE REPLACED?" TO WHICH HE SAID "WHAT A DUMBAZZ, NO HE DIDNT MENTION THAT!"
YOU KNOW THERE ARE ALOT OF NIKASIL ENGINES OUT THERE STILL RUNNING STRONG, JUST REALLY DEPENDS ON THE CARE GIVEN THE ENGINE
I understand the blowby test but did not see these as pertaining strictly to the blowby it was specific to the reflashing the ECM. I just read them both. When my car had the no start they were specific in making the statement that the system was reflashed and the icing on the cake was that they did not know or have the equipment for the blowby test when I requested it. I now know what one looks like and how it works because I have since seen it in action. As for the frequency of oil changes I agree. And for the use of a heavier viscosity of oil I agree with this but I need to get additional information before I can be sure.

Cylinder washing is a real concern with Nikasil block and is often caused by the unburnt fuel in the cold cylinder block. The information I am getting from the chemist will explain much of what is not known. And an FYI Sulfur was measured to be 300PPM in the year 2006!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

My tensioners were both cracked at 65,000, but not badly. Be interesting to see what you find.
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with 5,000 mi changes in my '99. Also brand name premium gas..so far no oil blow-by or starting issues, even after short trips. Not sure that I want to use any additional additives, unless there's a proven reason to. I know a lot of people swear by Marvel Mystery Oil but again, not sure its been proven to be helpful with Nikasil engines. Anyone have some information on lab tests, etc. that show a real advantage in using additives?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 PM

yep Gus, Sulpher has been going down in fuel (good), but Zinc has just about totally removed from oil too. was agreat anti wear, but screws with 02's
And Mike, I grew up in the SHOW ME state so I tend to not believe alot until I use it and "SEE" for myself...Just relating what Ive used and know has worked

Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
yep Gus, Sulpher has been going in fuel (good), but Zinc has just about totally removed from oil too. was agreat anti wear, but screws with 02's
And Mike, I grew up in the SHOW ME state so I tend to not believe alot until I use it and "SEE" for myself...Just relating what Ive used and know has worked
Brutal,
I agree with you and feel your idea and application of oil additives is right on.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mike66
My tensioners were both cracked at 65,000, but not badly. Be interesting to see what you find.
I've been using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with 5,000 mi changes in my '99. Also brand name premium gas..so far no oil blow-by or starting issues, even after short trips. Not sure that I want to use any additional additives, unless there's a proven reason to. I know a lot of people swear by Marvel Mystery Oil but again, not sure its been proven to be helpful with Nikasil engines. Anyone have some information on lab tests, etc. that show a real advantage in using additives?
I would say you have a good car and for you to continue to take care of it. I was able to get in touch with a Chemist for one of the largest fuel companies in the world and we spent about an hour on the phone talking about Sulfur content in fuels in the US and it is true that 300PPM was the norm in 2006 and prior to that it was I will say an alarming amount. I want to get his report before I make any statements because I want it to be correct. In the past I quoted others to find that they were not entirely correct. Over the past several months I have contacted them, fuel production co, EPA and many others and now I need to put it together before I give it to you. As for the fuel my quoting another person’s suggestion that hitest or premium were better for Nilasil was incorrect. I will eat crow on that one, it makes no difference.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 PM

I forgot 1 word Gus, the word "DOWN" I corrected. I ment sulpher has been going down and thats good. I guess I should proof read as my fingers tend to not type near as fast as my thoughts

Quick Reply: Nikasil engine problems