Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is This the Octopus Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts
Default Is This the Octopus Hose?

To the experienced: just want to verify this is indeed the infamous octopus hose before I pay the big bucks to order one. I believe the part number would be MJA6728AC if it is indeed the octopus monster.

It has a slow leak just to the right of the connector circled that isn't getting any better. Just after that connection (not shown) towards the firewall it branches into a "Y". One side appears to go to the heater valve body and the other looks like it goes to the bottom of the expansion tank.

Really hard to see in there. In fact, this is not even my picture. I copied it from an old thread by Roadhogg when he fixed his heater.

Trying to convince myself I can do this, but I have nightmares of breaking one of the many brittle plastic pieces associated with this repair.

Attached Thumbnails Is This the Octopus Hose?-slide1.jpg  
Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Does the lack of response mean no one is sure?

I really need some guidance please before I invest the $150-$200 needed for this part.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Wait until this evening when more knowledgeable members are likely to be perusing the forums....

Old 06-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Difficult to be sure from the photograph, and I'm not sure whether the 2001 car is the same as the 1997 model, but the "octopus hose" is item 1 in this diagram :

Is This the Octopus Hose?-heater-pump.jpeg

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Difficult to be sure from the photograph, and I'm not sure whether the 2001 car is the same as the 1997 model, but the "octopus hose" is item 1 in this diagram
Yeah, the picture is not the best. Everything is pretty packed in there.

I'm assuming that since the diagram does show one end going into what appears to be the heater valve, that this is indeed what I need.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

The connector you have circled is a separate T-piece that connects one of the valley hoses to the octopus. Part # is NNE3944BA. I've attached a snippet from JEPC that shows it in more detail.

(3) on the diagram is clamp just under the red arrow, and you can see the hose (10) is the vertical one in the pic.
If the leak is just to the right of the circle, then it's going to be (9) on the diagram which is one half of the crappy plastic 'Norma' connector, the other half of which is on the octopus. It's a push and twist connection with a seal sandwiched in the middle. Can't remember the exact construction as it's a while since I did the job

Some have advocated replacing the T-piece with a metal one and three clamps if you want to get in and out quickly.

But if you're intending to replace the octopus then, unless you're a contortionist with v. small indestructible hands, the TB has to come off. Once you get that far, you might as well replace the valley hoses if they're original because they will fail. You will need something beefy to get the clamps off - I used a pair of 'Mole' grips to expand them enough to be able to wiggle them clear. The octopus part # MJA6728AC you quote appears to be correct.

The only casualty I had was the part-load breather hose broke getting it off the TB as it gets brittle.

On the plus side, if you do go the whole hog at least you won't have a supercharger to remove.

HTH,
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Is This the Octopus Hose?-capture.jpg  

Last edited by michaelh; 06-22-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: check part # for octopus
The following 3 users liked this post by michaelh:
Jag#4 (06-22-2015), St. Stephen (03-28-2021), waltwagner (04-10-2023)
Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

This repair can be done, knuckle buster if ya got big hands. Takes time and patience getting parts that have been connected for some time to come off. REMEMBER where the hose goes across the BACK of the motor almost directly above the trans there are some vacuum like hoses zip tired to the octo hose. Make sure you cut that tie before you go yanking that hose out or you could pull what ever that small hose is.

The following 2 users liked this post by brgjag:
Jag#4 (06-22-2015), waltwagner (04-10-2023)
Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
The connector you have circled is a separate T-piece that connects one of the valley hoses to the octopus. Part # is NNE3944BA. I've attached a snippet from JEPC that shows it in more detail.

(3) on the diagram is clamp just under the red arrow, and you can see the hose (10) is the vertical one in the pic.
If the leak is just to the right of the circle, then it's going to be (9) on the diagram which is one half of the crappy plastic 'Norma' connector, the other half of which is on the octopus. It's a push and twist connection with a seal sandwiched in the middle. Can't remember the exact construction as it's a while since I did the job

Some have advocated replacing the T-piece with a metal one and three clamps if you want to get in and out quickly.

But if you're intending to replace the octopus then, unless you're a contortionist with v. small indestructible hands, the TB has to come off. Once you get that far, you might as well replace the valley hoses if they're original because they will fail. You will need something beefy to get the clamps off - I used a pair of 'Mole' grips to expand them enough to be able to wiggle them clear. The octopus part # MJA6728AC you quote appears to be correct.

The only casualty I had was the part-load breather hose broke getting it off the TB as it gets brittle.

On the plus side, if you do go the whole hog at least you won't have a supercharger to remove.

HTH,
Mike
Thanks so much, this helpful and explains why I couldn't match up what I was seeing with he pictures of the octopus hose.

The valley hoses are new and I have small hands. However, I also have short arms so looks like my back will get a workout.

Wish motorcar man was just a little closer. I'd job this out. My problem is that this is my daily driver, so an involved job like this eats the weekend. Maybe it's time to pickup an XJ for a backup. Wife complains I don't have a sedan.

sweez (09-20-2022)
Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

This is not a weekend job, long afternoon perhaps. I would replace the plastic T mentioned earlier in the thread here while you have it apart. Just take your time, have the right tools and it can be done in 4 hours or so. The hard part is getting it out. Goes in pretty quick. BE CAREFUL of surrounding parts, plastic hoses etc, ya don't want to replace those.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Odd that the octopus wasn't done at the same time as the valley hoses, 'cos it a lot easier to get at once the TB & intake stuff is out of the way.
Or maybe it was? If the 'Norma' on the other side looks good it could be worth trying to reseal this one first if you haven't already.

If you do manage to R&R without removing the TB I'd be curious to know any tricks you find. It wasn't easy stretching - even with no TB to work around, although a basketball player might describe me as vertically challenged. There's also a row of connectors on the top of the trans. that makes the space even tighter. Beware the cunningly hidden zip tie as brgjag notes & have the cuts and grazes cream handy for afterwards.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Jag#4
My problem is that this is my daily driver, so an involved job like this eats the weekend. Maybe it's time to pickup an XJ for a backup. Wife complains I don't have a sedan.
Your case has been made for you

Old 06-23-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

With the guidance of this group, I have just about decided my issue is with the connecting piece (plastic "T") leading to the octopus hose. The local Jag dealer has one for $5 after tax, so may just give this a go first.

It looks like I will need to remove the expansion tank, but should be able to get to it without removing the throttle body. Or so I hope. I guess we will see.

Thanks for all the help. It is much appreciated.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

I replaced mine on my 03 without removing the TB of anything around it. I did remove my Expansion tank. Just be careful when pulled the hose out, pull slowly so ya don't yank other things around when you take it out. It prob will be hard to take off on the pass side tube. Some try to save the connector there. Don;t know why since it is on the new hose. Mine was stuck on so I cut the plastic up and it came off. While that pipe on that side is exposed ya should clean it up some. I took fine grit sand paper to clean it up and wiped it down.

Jag#4 (06-24-2015)
Old 06-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Default Oops. Stuck in the middle

The good news is that my problem was the T-connector (Part# NNE3944BA). Thanks michaelh.

The bad news is that the norma connector from the octopus hose has an ear broken off. No problem, I says. I'll just use the metal replacement method. So I cut off the offending norma nightmare.

Problem now is I cannot find a hardware store with the right T-fitting in brass. It looks to be a 7/8x7/8x1/2. I could only find 3/4" or 1" T's. Bad news.

Might have been able to glue the norma connector ear back on, but was worried it would not hold and I'd be back to square one. Either way, too late now.

Any suggestions on alternates to the brass plumbing approach is appreciated. Gotta go now and start calling some hardware stores.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

I think this can be marked as fixed. As usual, thanks for all the help and encouragement.

I had a friend make up an aluminum (aluminium) fitting that works like a champ. It should easily last the life of the car. Looks better too. Eliminates the frustrating norma connector.

Lessons learned?
  • ALL the plastic in there is brittle.
  • It is a very tight squeeze, but can be done by removing the expansion tank. Small hands preferred and cursing helps as well.
  • A cable operated hose clamp tool is worth every cent ($36 at Sears).
  • You do not need to drain the radiator, but you will need a catch pan for about a quart or less of coolant
  • A wine cork is perfect for stoppering the hose to the bottom of the expansion tank (learned this trick on the forum. forgot who suggested it, but thanks)

Attached Thumbnails Is This the Octopus Hose?-20150628_143325.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jag#4:
Aaron Cox (11-11-2019), cjd777 (06-28-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

Mike, well done and thanks for all the tips. When is your buddy going to offer these three ways to us. I for one would be glad to have it on hand for any trip or replacing it when the time comes.
Again, thanks.

Wayne

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cjd777
When is your buddy going to offer these three ways to us.
Wayne
I think he is open to 3-ways, but tends to be picky about his partners.

I'll ask him if he is willing to make some more connectors up if there is interest from the forum.

Jon89 (06-29-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

After a few drive cycles I would check the radiator fluid in the expansion tank. The level should be just at or under the bottom of the opening of the tank.

Jag#4 (06-28-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

Mike, thanks for the update.

A very elegant fix for a 'one-eared Octopus'

I was going to suggest a 22x15x22 reducing plumbing tee with some short extensions added but this is much neater. IIRC the other Norma can be replaced with a piece of hose and a short metal tube...

Mike

Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
...IIRC the other Norma can be replaced with a piece of hose and a short metal tube...

Mike
Let's hope I never have to test that method. It's really tight in there. Let's just say I paid my blood debt to the gods of Coventry.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

This was VERY helpful for me! My 3-way connector has just started leaking. (and it's been hard tracking down this piece!) Has the metal piece held up for you? Any idea how your friend made the piece and what the dimensions were? I can buy the 3 way connector on ebay, but this method seems cleaner to me. I have a 2001 Vanden Plas.