XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler High Pressure Hose Split

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Unhappy Oil Cooler High Pressure Hose Split

Well I finally finished everything up installing new timing chains, tensioners and guides on my 2000 XKR. Had to wait for a new damper bolt. When I pulled the original, it was tight coming out and I knew something was wrong, I discovered it had damadged threads. I really freaked thinking the crankshaft threads were all crossed, but they weren't bad. Had to order a tap to clean it out. The new bolt went in okay. My torque wrench only goes to 150 lbs/ft so I gave it some extra pull beyond that. Geez 370 NM is about 273 lbs/ft of torque!..roughly 175lbs has got to be enough. Anyway, after putting in 71/2 qts of Mob1 syn I went foe a test drive. A qtr mile away and my Low Oil Pressure Warning Light came on!!! What now? I shut it off within 5 seconds..whew. Opened the hood and oil is everywhere!! After I had detailed the whole engine while fixing the chains..crap. What had happened was the High Pressure Hose from the engine to the oil cooler burst right where it is crimped at the fitting coming from the oil pan. Won't be hard to fix since it has a coupling joint accessable behind the plastic inner fender. Just letting you know to inspect the hose. In fact I had seen it was a little frayed beforehand.

I was going to Slalom the car for my first time ever this weekend at the Roar and Soar near Lakeland Fl. That's out as it will take a week to get the hose. More importantly, I'm 99% confident I didn't hurt the engine. But one hell-of-a mess.

After one month of ownership I still love the car, but it sure is putting it to the test!!!! BTW, the Restricted Perfomance Light was on but I'm hoping its just because the battery was unplugged for two weeks.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Yikes, first time I've heard of a ruptured oil line. At least you have good oil pressure.

As for the hose, can't you find a suitable replacement locally with similar (or exceeding OEM) specs? Sure would save some time.

The restricted performance light should go out on its own if the situation has resolved itself. The CEL has a tendency to stay on until it is manually cleared. Get the codes read, it may be something as simple as too lean air/fuel mixture. Now, break out the paper towels and buy some more $6 per quart oil for your cat.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

Don't want to scare anyone, it is indeed rare, but I also had it once at the same spot(was lucky to detect it early, oil was out very quick!).

Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Oil line leak

I just experienced this today. Mine comes out like a stream of **** at the crimped part. Where did you guys get the replacement hose (is it generic, or JAG dealer only part)?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

There is more info in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-hose-50378/

It is a dealer only item. Try JPAM parts online for the best price. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-24-2012 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Red1bw (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I had a hydraulics company make mine up out of stainless braided hose, never liked all those aluminium tube sections

Name:  IMG_3689.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  132.3 KB

Old 04-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Default oil cooler lines

XK-racer: That indeed is a good looking setup. However, I think I'll stick with stock for mine as I wish to keep it as a reliable and affordable daily commuter. Do you have dual engine oil coolers up front, or what?

I have two lines on order and they should be here by Thursday. I ordered through GaudinJaguar, which I believe is what JPAM was. They have always been the cheapest online for new Jaguar parts in my experience. Mine did burst in the same section as pictured at the beginning of the thread. I ordered both pipes for the left / feed side. When I do replace them, I'll take a look at the return lines and see if I want to do them next oil change. However, from looking around the forum / google, no one seems to have had any section fail other than the section at the front of the thread.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happen to my 2000 XKR . Got the part at dealer for about $450 ( four hoses) and my time about 2.5 hours. Not to bad the dealer wanted $976.00 tondo the job. We have a shop here that could replace the rubber for about $50 per hose so around $200 for the part only. I would pick the dealers updated oil lines for the $450.00. I am just so happy that I was able to see the leak , it could have been the motor.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Default Ruptured oil hose observation / recommendation.

After looking around this forum, google, and elsewhere; as I'm waiting for my oil cooler lines to arrive, I've come to the following conclusion. The oil cooler line bursting, splitting, or breaking is always in the same spot. It is not uncommon. I find no single instance of any of the other 3 lines having any issues. Also, it appears this only happens after the car is 7 years old or older. It appears to break over internal oil pressure and age. Salt / outside environment doesn't seem to be an issue as it happens to Florida cars as well as northern cars; but these cars are generally garage kept most of their life anyways; especially when bought new and expensive; and probably are kept cleaner than most cars.
Jaguar, for whatever reason, has a newer crimp in that area on newer parts. I believe both old and new lines share the same part number, C2N2208. Whether this is coincidence, such a change of supplier meeting spec with their own crimp, or an intentional redesign to prevent bursting is unknown. However, my XKR was a 2004 and had the newer hose. I am guessing this is what it came with, but I really don't know as I am not the original or only owner of this car. Also, when using the same part number for old and new (which I believe to be the case), it could be possible that there are some old part numbers in inventory somewhere (I didn't find any case of this); so I would recommend paying attention to which lines you receive. You want the multi-crimped part as pictured in the link WhiteXKR provided earlier.
My recommendation: Before your XKR is 7 years old, replace 1 of the 4 oil cooler lines. Order line C2N2208 ($113), which comes with the O-rings as Jagsinfl pointed out below. If you order the O-rings separately, they are: O-ring middle KSR609001 ($1), and O-ring rear KSH119530 ($6). Based on others, it appears to be a 2-3 hour job. Now if you're feeling rich, bored, or you're OCD, then you may want to replace all 4; but this does not seem necessary.

Last edited by Red1bw; 05-19-2012 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fredd60 (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The o ring did come with the oil cooler lines that I got from the dealer. I did all four line so it's a done deal. And the lines were the updated ones. We love the car and going to have it for a long time. Right now we are at 89,000 miles and replace the lines at 85,000.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM

While the online parts catalog doesn't show the o-rings coming with the lines, they do come with the lines.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Default Fixed.

Total time was about 2.5 hours. It simply consists of jacking the front of car, removing the scraped up plastic valence from parking, one "exhaust hanger" type bracket on oil cooler line, and one bolt at each end of each line you replace. Also, you're doing an oil change (and probably oil filter) as you should drain the oil prior to or while disconnecting oil lines.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Default Ground cable question.

Anyways, while replacing these feed oil lines I found a ground cable not attached to anything. Does anyone know where it goes? I was aware that this car had a minor accident in the front left bumper / fender area when it was about 1 years old, so I suspect this was disconnected during parts replacement or repair. Please see attached picture. I pulled the ground cable up and hood is open.

Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler High Pressure Hose Split-ground.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Red1bw
Anyways, while replacing these feed oil lines I found a ground cable not attached to anything. Does anyone know where it goes? I was aware that this car had a minor accident in the front left bumper / fender area when it was about 1 years old, so I suspect this was disconnected during parts replacement or repair. Please see attached picture. I pulled the ground cable up and hood is open.

I think that is the one that just goes under a hinge bolt on the hood to ground the hood through a proper ground.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Thanks. That would have been my guess, but it also looked like the two metal hinges would have done the grounding too. The picture does my jag no justice...all that dirt / grime you see on the platinum paint is oil from pissing out of the oil cooler line. Between the fans running, air, and speed some went up through the hood vent holes on the top of the car, all over the engine, and under the car coming up the rear getting my rear license plate and rear of car all oily too.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsinfl
The o ring did come with the oil cooler lines that I got from the dealer. I did all four line so it's a done deal. And the lines were the updated ones. We love the car and going to have it for a long time. Right now we are at 89,000 miles and replace the lines at 85,000.
The hose used on the XK series cars is a oil handling hose made by Aeroquip. This is the same hose used in the X300 V12 models of which I had one. I had a hose split nowhere near the crimp and lost oil. Replaced that hose with a new Jaguar hose and it split at the crimp a week later. I then took them off and had some real hydralic hoses installed and never had another problem. Fast forward and I get a 05 XKR. Same hoses installed. Took them off, welded on fittings and installed Stainless braided style hose. My boss had a 05 XK8 and one of his hoses blew and it ate the engine. As Jaguar had a service bulletin on the hoses for his VIN range, he got a new engine. As soon as the engine warranty was over, the hoses were also replaced with the Stainless hoses.
On another note, not all XK8s have cooler hoses. Not sure when they do or don't but I have seen them both ways. I have not seen a XKR without them though.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. That would have been my guess, but it also looked like the two metal hinges would have done the grounding too.
In reality the hinge does, but it is not an 'engineered ground'.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks. I saw pictures of the exact bolt it goes to somewhere online. The likely main reasons hood is grounded appears to be for radio reception, corrosion resistance, general discharge of static from air moving across it, and sometimes the return path (for an attached hood light).

Old 05-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Do you have dual engine oil coolers up front, or what?
One is for the transmission as I do not have a standard radiator, I needed extra cooling to cope with the other mods I have

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

@XKRacer

Is the arrangement of the oil flow such that it is suitable for an easy addition of a bypass filtration system via one of the oil cooler hoses? The usual install on other vehicles usually involves a bypass adapter plate to divert part of the oil flow through the bypass system.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler High Pressure Hose Split