XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Fill Capacity...2006 XK8 4.2L non-SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Fill Capacity...2006 XK8 4.2L non-SC

Here's a dilemma: owners manual says 8.2 qts, including filter. Amsoil website says 7.4 qts, including filter. Took the car to a quick oil change, told them 8.2 qts., now dipstick shows filled above "MAX" line. so, what's the correct capacity, why would owners manual say 8.2, am I in trouble running a quart over, any suggestions??

Thanks to all for any guidance on this.....

Old 07-01-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It may well be 8.2 if all (that's all) the old oil was removed but rather less in the typical case where just most is removed.

The manuals nearly always say to add oil to a position on the dipstick rather than add a specific amount (and to check / top up after running the engine / etc).

With it above MAX I'd remove some down to MAX.

The following users liked this post:
cobratom (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the same issue the first time I changed the oil in my XK8. I drained the oil. Filled with the specified amount. Checked the level and it was over-filled.

The dipstick reading before I changed the oil was in the acceptable range.

The amount of oil I drained was less than the fill spec.

I couldn't understand that.

I suspect all the oil was not drained even though I gave it plenty of time to drain and I removed the old oil filter.

I ended up draining some of my overfill to bring the oil level to the acceptable range.

Bottom line... add just enough oil to show an acceptable reading on the dipstick after the motor has been run and the new filter is full of oil.

Jack

The following 2 users liked this post by BlkCat:
cobratom (07-02-2017), Orthodixie (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The oiling system, like the cooling system, is hard to empty out by gravity alone. Look at the plumbing of the oil cooler. The supply/return lines are at the top (you should see it through the "grille". Trust the dip stick.

cobratom (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Common sense says: Fill with 1qt LESS than the minimum of all the conflicting specs.
Then, run the engine to fill the filter.
Stop Engine and check level.
Add incrementally to Max mark on Dipstick.

The following 5 users liked this post by Paul Pavlik:
cobratom (07-02-2017), CyJag (06-15-2019), GordoCatCar (07-04-2017), Norri (07-01-2017), Orthodixie (07-01-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by BlkCat
I had the same issue the first time I changed the oil in my XK8. I drained the oil. Filled with the specified amount. Checked the level and it was over-filled.

The dipstick reading before I changed the oil was in the acceptable range.

The amount of oil I drained was less than the fill spec.

I couldn't understand that.

I suspect all the oil was not drained even though I gave it plenty of time to drain and I removed the old oil filter.

I ended up draining some of my overfill to bring the oil level to the acceptable range.

Bottom line... add just enough oil to show an acceptable reading on the dipstick after the motor has been run and the new filter is full of oil.

Jack
Thanks for the tip....how did you manage to drain some of the overfill??? BTW, similar taste in cars: my XK8 is technically a Carbon Fibre edition, I had a '66 Cobra replica w/ 351C engine (most people at car shows were convinced it was real) and '95 Miata w/ supercharger....just have the Jag now

BlkCat (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

Right at 8 quarts for my wife's 2006 XK8. I run Castrol GTX 5W30 conventional. The car is approaching 111,000 miles....

I typically drain-and-fill with 7.5 quarts, let her drive the car for one day, then top it off with the remaining half-quart. The dipstick level then stays right at the full indicator mark until it is time for the next oil-and-filter change after 6,000 miles....

cobratom (07-03-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cobratom
Thanks for the tip....how did you manage to drain some of the overfill??? BTW, similar taste in cars: my XK8 is technically a Carbon Fibre edition, I had a '66 Cobra replica w/ 351C engine (most people at car shows were convinced it was real) and '95 Miata w/ supercharger....just have the Jag now
To drained some of the overfill by unscrewing the drain plug for a couple of seconds, then tightening it. Messy. Then adjust after reading the dipstick.

Before I had the '99 Miata I had one of the first 1990s. A few years later I installed a Sebring supercharger developed and sold by Downing Racing here in Atlanta. It was the first one in town. It was an Eaton supercharger adapted to the Miata. Great power boost. No loss of reliability. It was a great car I sold to a friend in 1999 when I bought the "new" one. I sold the 1999 to a different friend in 2010 when I bought the 2006 Jag. I regretted the sale. A year and a half ago my friend told me they were thinking of selling the Miata. Said they almost never used it. Put only 2,000 miles on it in their five years of ownership. Kept it garaged. It was still perfect. I bought it back. I don't think I'll sell it again.

Jack

Old 07-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Smile oil fill capacity

Jack, you7r reply was what I pictured....loosen the drain plug and let some drain out, but I figured it would really be messy, which is why I asked how you did it. I thought maybe I'd remove the filter, drain that, reinstall and then check the oil level again...may have to do it a couple times to get it down to the proper level. As for the Miata, I bought it from a guy in Florida, it had over $4000 in extras (that was his claim so I cataloged everything when I got the car, checked the prices, and confirmed it.....17" wheels with Z profiles tires...REALLY makes a difference in appearance and handling....upgraded sound system, custom seats, etc....then I added about another $3000 with the supercharger and other upgrades). The supercharger was from BRPerformance in NC. It was Eaton based, and they made the supercharger for JR Racing. Easy install and impressive performance. During the 10+ years I had it, I put on less than 1000 miles/yr. Some years I wouldn't even burn through a full tank of gas (it was garaged from October to May each year). I hope the guy who bought it is happy!!

BlkCat (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:01 AM

I read somewhere (can't find it now) the difference in oil quantity in the engine between the "MIN" mark and "MAX" mark on the dipstick. I checked dipstick this morning and it's only slightly over "MAX" so I'm thinking it may not be worth the hassle to drain any oil if it's only a pint or so over "MASX". Any ideas???

Thanks

Old 07-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

As a general statement, (minor) excess oil seems to always find its way in the intake, somehow. So you end up burning oil, not so good for emissions, plugs, cats and sensors.

If you happen to have a vacuum pump with suitable lines, you can use the dipstick tube to pull some oil. Some car places sell a more complete setup for complete oil changes from the top that way, too (I do not). Still have to do the filter...

Depending on how picky you are, you can check the oil level procedure in the owner's manual. Some folks check it stone cold (after resting a long time), some check warm, 2 minutes after shutting down. There is probably a small difference there. It's oiling, you will have opinions...

If it was me, I would spend a few min and correct this. Nothing good comes from over filling oil.

cobratom (07-04-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Right now, with the engine cold, the dipstick shows over "MAX" by about half the distance between "MAX" and "MIN". Don't know how much oil that really is or how much risk it puts me at if I do nothing. Still thinking about it but if I do anything I'll probably remove the filter and drain it and see how that measures on the dipstick. Seems like the easiest and less messy alternative.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:53 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Right now, with the engine cold, the dipstick shows over "MAX" by about half the distance between "MAX" and "MIN". Don't know how much oil that really is or how much risk it puts me at if I do nothing. Still thinking about it but if I do anything I'll probably remove the filter and drain it and see how that measures on the dipstick. Seems like the easiest and less messy alternative.
You are 1/2 quart over.

There was some discussion regarding an updated dipstick for certain performance upgrades, wheels I think. Allowed a higher fill for tight cornering. What could you possibly do in a GT that would slosh close to two gallons of oil away from the pickup, whatever. Supposedly the manuals were updated at some point and this became standard. Based upon what I saw when I dropped my pan for a gasket replacement, you have extra capacity. Dump the filter out and you will be fine. Then you can search for the updated dipstick thread.

cobratom (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 05:58 AM
Default Oil Capacity

1/2 qt is what I figured, but wasn't sure. The real question is, regardless of how it reads on the dipstick, how much do I REALLY have and is it the correct dipstick (with the weird things on this car, I'm not so sure). A fellow Jag owner pointed out that the dipstick is not seating all the way in the tube; it hangs up on the little metal collar that secures the handle, so I could possibly be a full qt over. Can't seem to identify the correct dipstick and not sure what the correct length should be for the portion that is actually in the tube. Oh well, just another challenge.

Thanks again for your feedback and comments. Happy 4th!!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Probably easy & cheap to buy a known good one from a wrecker/ebay.

cobratom (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:00 AM

my thoughts exactly.....thanks

Old 07-04-2017, 09:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Your are checking this on LEVEL gound?

Even a slight incline front to rear and/or side to side of the vehicle makes a significant difference to the level shown on the dipstick.

Graham

cobratom (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:26 AM

yes, checking it on level ground, cold....wondering if it is the correct dipstick because it won't fully seat in the tube. Don't know what actual length of the dipstick should be for the shaft that goes into the tube (excluding handle)

Old 07-04-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

There should be an 0-ring in the groove of the red plastic T handle. That o-ring seals the engine crankcase from outside air, and helps seat the dipstick.

If you are in doubt, measure the length of the metal blade, from the tip to the base as it meets the plastic. I am sure someone can confirm this length later.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

....wondering if it is the correct dipstick because it won't fully seat in the tube. Don't know what actual length of the dipstick should be for the shaft that goes into the tube (excluding handle)
Unbelievable that Jaguar can make the dipstick so complicated.

In 2000, the recommended engine oil capacity was increased on the 4.0 litre engine by 1.0 litre and a revised dipstick introduced for the new level. This was covered by a TSB:

TSB 100-17 Oil level.pdf

On the later 4.2 litre engine, there are three different dipsticks listed in JEPC according to VIN range although recommended oil capacity does not vary.

Graham