XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, so what is the average age of the Jaguar owner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Ok, so what is the average age of the Jaguar owner?

This is a very touchy subject for me!
I'm 48 going on 28 and just so I'm not sure where this is heading! I've always had jaguars since I was 17 years old. My first car was a triumph tr6 and traded for a 68 XKE. Since then I've had XJ's, XJS, S types, X types, and now I have an XF, and XK8.
I just joined the JCNA at the North Carolina event but I was surprised to see barely 3 people there even near my age it seemed. (Or maybe I just look fantastically young for my age!! LOL!!!!) the youngest people were the children of the members!! (Most seemed in their 60's plus)
My friends always tell me they like my cars but they're just to "old man" for them!!(ouch!) They drive bmw and merc. Usually 3 or c class. Now maybe they're just jealous because they can only afford the entry level in those makes and I'm driving a much nicer XF, or could they be right?!?!?! Is jaguar really for, as much as they try to grab the younger market, an older buyer? I've modified my XK8 and it looks very mean and aggressive! Not "old man" at all!!! (See pic) but I see younger people driving much more expensive 5 series and e class cars also.
Now the F type is attracting a younger eye, but my friends and myself included simply can't afford to snap ne up. Had it been dropped at the original target competitor, the boxster, I could have swung it.
So, with out insulting everyone, what is your age? I'm really curious to see if there's anyone under 40 driving Jaguars!! I have to admit, I'm starting to feel 10 years older since the JCNA event!! Lol
Ok, so what is the average age of the Jaguar owner?-image.jpg

Last edited by philhef; 07-27-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Here is a head start:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...-owners-63564/

There was another one done not too long ago primarily on the XK8/R forum. I'm one year older from that reply.

Last edited by test point; 07-27-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

when I'm driving the Jag - 32, otherwise 50

Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by test point
Here is a head start:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...-owners-63564/

There was another one done not too long ago primarily on the XK8/R forum. I'm one year older from that reply.
Why is it when I search a topic, I can never find it!!! Ugh!!! Maybe I'm focusing more on club members.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The vBulletin search function is pretty weak. I go outside and do a Google search and begin with JaguarForums. That limits it to this forum and does a much better job. Incidentally, the vBulletin search does not work on less than 4 characters. You will never get a response to 'old'.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (10-07-2017)
Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
The vBulletin search function is pretty weak. I go outside and do a Google search and begin with JaguarForums. That limits it to this forum and does a much better job. Incidentally, the vBulletin search does not work on less than 4 characters. You will never get a response to 'old'.
Agreed. It also fails when looking multi-word phrases. BTW 50+

Last edited by Bad Cattitude; 07-27-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

+1 I always use Google.

60 by the way, but have owned Jags on and off since I was in my late 20's.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I've decided to hell with what my friends say!! We buy these cars because they're stunning, timeless automobiles! And fast too!! And they are having just as many expensive repairs too!!
After all, don't they say "with age comes wisdom"?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts
Old 07-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

20 years old. Owned jags since 7th grade.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

philhef,
I'm 60 years old, but don't feel like it and certainly own a series of cars all over the map. As for Jags being an old man's car (as Buick and Lincoln have always been known for), XF's are so commonplace in Los Angeles now that they're seen everywhere, sold to mostly young (40 and under) owners, and I would venture to say are on a sales pace near that of E-class Mercedes as well as 5 series BMW's.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

One of these days this topic will come in poll format.

32 going on 52. Also an Audi zealot- my other car is an older S8, also black/black. I'm attracted to beautiful European modern classics. Like Heidi Klum. The kinds of cars that wear dapper smoking jackets, have a single malt scotch in one hand, and an AR-15 in the other.

Last edited by Sentinelist; 07-28-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 AM
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

When I'm driving the Jag, 52.
In my Trans Am, about 40.
On my Hayabusa 22ish.

I mostly drive the Jag!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Average age here is probably somewhere between "whippersnapper" and "geezer"....

But who cares? We drive what we want to drive....

Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

Ok! I'm no longer going to worry about Jaguar being an old mans car.
I just went to a friends porsche club meeting and and they were all just as old as the Jaguar club!! I noticed the older guys were driving boxsters! Thought that was funny!!
I also noticed something else. Porsche owners really love to modify their cars and even the older owners really supported and got into even the strangest modifications.
That's one thing I do find fault with a lot of Jaguar owners. There's a LOT of flack for modifying Jags! And for me, that's why I love my cars! I make them mine!! I'll be modifying my cars till they put me in the ground!!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
This is a very touchy subject for me!
I'm 48 going on 28 and just so I'm not sure where this is heading! I've always had jaguars since I was 17 years old. My first car was a triumph tr6 and traded for a 68 XKE. Since then I've had XJ's, XJS, S types, X types, and now I have an XF, and XK8.
I just joined the JCNA at the North Carolina event but I was surprised to see barely 3 people there even near my age it seemed. (Or maybe I just look fantastically young for my age!! LOL!!!!) the youngest people were the children of the members!! (Most seemed in their 60's plus)
My friends always tell me they like my cars but they're just to "old man" for them!!(ouch!) They drive bmw and merc. Usually 3 or c class. Now maybe they're just jealous because they can only afford the entry level in those makes and I'm driving a much nicer XF, or could they be right?!?!?! Is jaguar really for, as much as they try to grab the younger market, an older buyer? I've modified my XK8 and it looks very mean and aggressive! Not "old man" at all!!! (See pic) but I see younger people driving much more expensive 5 series and e class cars also.
Now the F type is attracting a younger eye, but my friends and myself included simply can't afford to snap ne up. Had it been dropped at the original target competitor, the boxster, I could have swung it.
So, with out insulting everyone, what is your age? I'm really curious to see if there's anyone under 40 driving Jaguars!! I have to admit, I'm starting to feel 10 years older since the JCNA event!! Lol
Attachment 49326
Turned 46 earlier this month. I agree that Jags in general are driven by older folks. Jaguar is trying to change it through their marketing in attempt to lure younger consumers and no model makes it more evident than the F-Type. However, for $100K for the top of the line car, the customer is looking at MB SL and BMW 645. Although sensuous and muscular at the same time on the outside, on the inside it feels plasticky and screams boy racer way too hard. For $50-60K, it would appeal to the younger crowds in the mid 30+, who'd be able to actually afford it.
I, for one, enjoy the exclusivity of our cars. Although there are many XFs on the road, as well as the new XJs, it's a rare treat to see a timeless design of an XKR roaring down The interstate, no matter how old the pilot of that beauty is.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

The car hobby in general seems to be either an older man's game or for the very young. I got started with restoring a 1966 Mustang in 1986 when I was a teenager. I joined the North Texas Mustang Club and back in the 80's I was then less than half the age of the next youngest member with most being in their 50s. I sold the Mustang in 1988 to begin playing with Japanese sports cars as that was where the young people were. Slowly, all of my friends with Toyota Supras began to drop out of the hobby as they got married, had kids, focused on careers, (wrecked their Supras), etc. I remained single and kept buying cars, eventually getting back into classic domestic cars. I bought a 1969 Corvette and joined the NCRS. Even at 45, I'm still 20 years younger than their average member. A few years ago, I added a 1968 Mustang to the collection and rejoined the North Texas Mustang Club. Now that's completely changed. The local Mustang club today is dominated by younger members with 2005+ models. I really don't know where us middle-aged guys fit in, what sort of car we're supposed to have. I'm sitting on that fence between I love my sports cars, but now my back hurts and my butt hurts and so I bought this X308, the consummate "old man's Jag" and I absolutely love it.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Age

I'm 18 Lol. And I got my 1996 XJ6 when I was 15. also there's another kid that is 18 and he had a 2002 S Type until he sold it to another kid that is 19. So That's three of us that like the cars. Which I don't care for S Types or X Types...

Old 06-10-2015, 04:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaytonKO
I'm 18 Lol. And I got my 1996 XJ6 when I was 15. ..
Welcome to the forum ClaytonKO,

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Guilty as charged. I'm 73 (and when I drive my Jag, I'm still 73, go figure). It's all about attitude; I do almost of the my own work on my car, own and sail a 34-foot sailboat, and play keyboards in a classic rock band where the next oldest guy is 57. I just had a shoulder replacement, and scheduled a hip replacement, and none of that is remotely slowing me down. And yes, I get a lot Grandpa and Geezer jokes from the guys in my band, but I also get a lot respect for who I am and where I've been. Know any other 73 year-old keyboard players who can play a kick-*** version of Deep Purple's "Highway Star"?

All about attitude, dudes............

The following users liked this post:
Sentinelist (06-12-2015)

Quick Reply: Ok, so what is the average age of the Jaguar owner?