XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old body XKR or New body XK? For similar money what's better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd lusted for a 96 coupe since the first photograph of it.

I'm a proud, first time owner of my 01 Vert this summer. Nothing like going topless on a scenic drive of the coast, under the stars and moonlight. Even the Leaper on the NAV is a pleasure in the darkness.

I turn the heads of garden variety BMW and M/B and Audi convertibles (they know she's a sexy feline) and am DAMN PROUD of the body lines on my old cat....I'm in the game boyz

Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
The X100 gets passionate approval because it was the first ever modern and proper interpretation of the XKE legacy. I think less so of any relation to the XJS, though there were definitely some excitement to move on from it as well.
Agree and that was actually more of my point, the XJS was SO far removed from the E that it had to find its own audience but the XK8 immediately brought the XKE back to mind!
Having sold mu XJS to buy my XK8, I can certainly understand. I had a 68 XKE years ago so my XK8 was a bit of a flash back, except it actually runs when I turn the key!!
If I could meld the new and old body XK, I'd take the side vents and the hard convertible lid, and maybe the "mesh" used in the grille. I wish someone would make a replacement grille like the newer style. It's the same "mesh" (plastic) as my XF but I really like the scale of the pattern.
And if any of these aftermarket companies, Mina, Adamesh, could design an aftermarket fender vent kit to replace the side leaper with a vent and turn light, I'm first in line!!!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Agree and that was actually more of my point, the XJS was SO far removed from the E that it had to find its own audience but the XK8 immediately brought the XKE back to mind!
Having sold mu XJS to buy my XK8, I can certainly understand. I had a 68 XKE years ago so my XK8 was a bit of a flash back, except it actually runs when I turn the key!!
If I could meld the new and old body XK, I'd take the side vents and the hard convertible lid, and maybe the "mesh" used in the grille. I wish someone would make a replacement grille like the newer style. It's the same "mesh" (plastic) as my XF but I really like the scale of the pattern.
And if any of these aftermarket companies, Mina, Adamesh, could design an aftermarket fender vent kit to replace the side leaper with a vent and turn light, I'm first in line!!!

To my mind there is nothing more ridiculous than a faux vent but I believe the best looking ones out there are on the Kia Optima. Still, why have something that looks like a vent if it is not really a vent and worse, why go through the trouble of installing one after the fact?

Doug

Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
To my mind there is nothing more ridiculous than a faux vent but I believe the best looking ones out there are on the Kia Optima. Still, why have something that looks like a vent if it is not really a vent and worse, why go through the trouble of installing one after the fact?

Doug
I actually would like to open a real vent on the side to help with a bit of the heat buildup on my car. Although it would have to be ducted to have access to the engine bay.
And ironically, the vents on my XF aren't functioning either. Nor are the ones on the XK or XJ.