XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OMG from bad to worse, LOL.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Default OMG from bad to worse, LOL.

If I didnt love the car as much as I do I would shoot it for fun at this point, LOL.

So I had the dreaded ABS, ASC, No Trac, yellow light lights which were intermittent. I knew I needed front pads at least so I had my mechanic guy do the front, cleaned the sensors all around and check the ABS module for the pin cracking thing. There was some so he soldered it all back up, reinstalled everything and now its worse. Besides the things listed there are now the dreaded red light, brake light, wrong part fitted, check engine light and now its running in limp mode.

So, taking some advice thats written here I had him re bleed the brakes, re check all the connections and fuses. I also installed a brand new HP battery when I did the brakes so thats good. We did the electrical plug, unplug with the battery unhooked thing also.

So now comes the new code stuff, p1000 (common), p1637 and p1720 I think, hard to read his writing. Then on and on top of this while putting the top down the drivers side quarter window is now stuck down and there is a grinding noise in the rear quarter. Im not overly concerned about the window though I have no idea what it is but the car not running is driving me nuts.

I am not an electrical wiz so Im asking for help here..... how can I trouble shoot some of this before dropped big money ? I did do some research here and see that the ABS module can control most of the things that are showing so should I just chuck it all and get mine rebuilt ?

35 years of owning different Jaguars and even given some of the PITA things that have happened in the past this one really has me bugged. Maybe its because Im older now or that the ABS light was just showing up every couple days for a minute or two and now its turned into a major issue. I dont know but....I really hope this is something that can be rectified easily.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

This has happened before after a repair to the ABS module. It may be that one of the connector pins has got bent - apparently this is easily done - or that the soldering and general manipulation has broken a track or made a joint go 'dry'.
Check the connector and then decide whether you want to pull the module apart or get one from EBay.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Dam, you are not having a good day. I am not sure what is going on with your car so let me ask a few questions. What took place when you got these codes? Have you had the TB plugs cleaned or replaced? The TB plugs or TB can and will cause a transmission code, ABS code and cruise control codes and failsafe & restricted performance. I do not want to mislead you but we need additional information on this. I am going to attach a few links for you to read and it might help you to identify the problem.

TB Plugs JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
TB JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

As for the rear quarter window Jaguar had a TSB 501-49 but it only covered MY 1999-2000

Window TSB http://jagrepair.com/images/TSB/XK8/501-49.pdf
R&R Quarter window replacement http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...lacement-2.pdf

Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Gus, I've tried without success to find the post but at least one guy bent a pin and another damaged the module. It causes a CAN BUS error and throws all manner of spurious codes, turns on the CEL and also produces the 'wrong part fitted' message.
The fact it all blew up as soon as the ABS module was replaced suggests the module.
EDIT Found the thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ow-what-76548/

Last edited by steveinfrance; 07-14-2012 at 11:40 AM.