Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions?

Morning all.

I know this is all subjective opinion but I wanted to know what others thought about some questions I have raised in my mind. I own a 96' XK8 and love it. Had him about three months now and after driving classic minis for five years its a dream.

Now, my dilemma is whether to spend money on him or not. He really needs a respray and I'd like to make some cosmetic changes as the interior is looking shabby. BUT, in a couple of years I might be able to afford an XKR. It's tempting me. I'm thinking, though, that I couldn't really use the extra power anyway, except for thrill. Tax would be much higher too, seeing as it's a later vehicle. If I go XKR then there's no point doing the XK8 up, but I don't know whether to stick to the devil I know.

Thoughts?

Jake

Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Talking

Both look pretty much the same except for a few minor refinements on the grill, boot spoiler etc. The main difference is in performance, I live quite rural so could not justify an XKR, and to be honest I love my 8 and have not regretted buying it one little bit. Both come with a history of problems and the R is more expensive to fix and maintain. This is just my humble opinion and maybe 15/20 years ago I would have gone for the R as a status symbol, now I dont really care as long as I am happy.

Arty.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:26 AM

I'm in a rural area too and rarely get to put my foot down tbh, hence why I was leaning towards the 8, which I already have. It has just over 100k on the clock but I do look after him well. I just don't know how I feel about spending money on what is, essentially, the inferior model. But then again, I guess its not about that and in terms of running costs etc. it may be superior.

bah. decisions...

Old 05-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

So I have to ask what kinda rural area do you live in. I lived in a "rural" area when I had my R but rural for me was a paved road with virtually no traffic for 18 miles from the closest city and or congestion. I loved having the R, I loved rolling at 100 with the top down, when I could safely, which was quite often.

Here is my take...... first off the paint will never get better, so when you go to sell it will effect your resale value. Same feeling on the interior also. While having that extra horsepower was nice for driving in traffic (to get around the morons) they (R's) do need a little more attention IMHO because you absolutely don't want engine problems. I personally liked the look, the little subtle things that make it different but in the end its up to you. I am currently looking for another R, 07 or newer though, that will fill the void left after selling my last one.

Good luck... it comes down to how much do you love the car now. If you fixed the interior and exterior then say modded it with some new tires and wheels you would probably love it more since now it looks new again compared to buying something you might have to do some fixing on right after you buy it. Again just my opinion and you did ask, LOL.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobtomos
........ really needs a respray and I'd like to make some cosmetic changes as the interior is looking shabby. .......
1. a respray is going to cost around the same as a '96 XK8 is worth in the UK at the moment. Any idiot can put a coat of paint on but quality prep takes a lot of time and consequently big money.

2. Jaguar trim is expensive

Between the two, you may make selling easier but won't increase the value sufficiently to recoup costs.

It's impossible to make a judgement on the paint without seeing it but if it's original then thorough cleaning, attention to scratches and chips followed by swirl removal will be a lot better and considerably cheaper than anything falling short of an OE standard spray.

If the shabby interior is the usual worn leather on the driver's seat then recolouring is very successful as many on the forum will attest.

I know it's tempting to put everything right but saving towards an eventual replacement is better than throwing a lot of money at a low value car.

Graham

Old 05-05-2014, 09:39 AM

cheers for the input guys. I wasn't really thinking resale value since I know form my experience modding minis that you never get out what you put in.

I know a good respray will cost around 3K, the interior needs a new headlining (it currently sags over my eyes), the seats are worn, as is the armrest.

With that much at stake I don't know whether to just wait until next year, sell it for around 3K and put some extra up to get an R and THEN sort out paintwork etc.

It's quite a while to hold out for, though, when I'm not sure whether I would enjoy the 8 just as much. By rural I mean Cornish backroads, max 20mph most of the time. I guess I could see if I could test drive an XKR to 'feel' the difference and see if it's worth holding out for before I personalise the 8...

Old 05-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jacobtomos
cheers for the input guys. I wasn't really thinking resale value since I know form my experience modding minis that you never get out what you put in.

I know a good respray will cost around 3K, the interior needs a new headlining (it currently sags over my eyes), the seats are worn, as is the armrest.

With that much at stake I don't know whether to just wait until next year, sell it for around 3K and put some extra up to get an R and THEN sort out paintwork etc.

It's quite a while to hold out for, though, when I'm not sure whether I would enjoy the 8 just as much. By rural I mean Cornish backroads, max 20mph most of the time. I guess I could see if I could test drive an XKR to 'feel' the difference and see if it's worth holding out for before I personalise the 8...
Whatever you do don't test drive an "R" if you do you will scrimp and scrape till you can afford to buy one...they are absolutely awesome !!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You might try waiting

When I can't decide between choices, if waiting carries no real liability, I simply wait. Sooner or later, something will present itself that informs your decision. When that happens, you will know what to do.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

For me if I had no way to use the extra power of the R then I would fix up the 8 and be proud of my accomplishment and enjoy showing off my handy work.

By the way, I don't think I have ever heard anyone refer to a car as "he" before... Interesting!

Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I would consider the mechanics first. Do you have all the latest updates on tensioners, etc? If you have, you could personalize the car to your taste. If you have doubts about the mechanics, then start with those. The car will still drive the same - good paint ot not. In my opinion, the older models seems to have more issues, but may be easier and sometimes cheaper to fix.

For the days I want power and accelleration, I have a bike. Most of the time I just drive my XK8 with the top down enjoying the ride.

At the end of the day only you can decide what you really want to do. I will not replace my XK8..