Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on changing paint color

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Opinions wanted on changing paint color

Any opinions on changing paint color?

Currently it's a 2001 XK8 convertible in Pacific Blue (paint and roof).

I'd like to have it repainted white and leave the side moulding blue to match the roof (have always purchased only white cars in the past 14 years mainly for reflecting the Texas heat and because you can't see the dust, it looks clean much longer. From a safety standpoint white is also much more visible). I see with the dark blue that every nick and scratch really stands out. On one hand, I'm afraid to go with a different color because I'm big on having everything factory and have a bias against after-market changes. I bought this one because it was at the right time and at the right price and I wouldn't have to wait any longer. I would have bought it in neon green if need be to have it sooner rather than later.

Am I making a big mistake here? Should I just repaint in the original color and quit whining? Sooner or later I will want to trade-up to a newer model (hopefully factory white) but don't see that happening in under three years. Will I be doing anything detrimental to the value?

Please let me know your thoughts..... Thanks!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

That is the downside of shopping for used. I also originally preferred finding a white car as I have had several past cars in white and that was always a great color for hiding minor amounts of dust and dings. My wife's Acura is dark blue and 5 minutes after I wash it the dust starts to show up.

On the other hand, the XK8/XKR look great in almost any color. During my shopping around, I had seen a used one at a dealer in Pacific Blue with a light interior and it looked gorgeous. It is quite costly to repaint a car so, if it were me, I would just stick with what I got. If it has minor dings and scratches you could always get that taken care of from a good detailer.

Doug

Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

As a old paint and body man to change colors right would be a very expensive undertaking, painting jams under hoods and trunks and engine compartments. you're best bet is to leave it the original color. Then in the future look for a white one.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ +1. And if you haven't gotten the point yet "DON'T DO IT"
Ok... now that I made my point.... I do see your point as I switched all 3 cars from shades of Green to White or (Platinum tri coat). As said above, it is very time consuming and thus expensive to switch colors if done right. And even so, resale takes a hit if the original color is changed. I am aware of new paint techniques by good body shops where for a say $1K- $2K they "buff" the car and it looks spanking new. I am not sure but I think they remove the clear coat apply some kind of rubbing compound to the entire car to fill and even out the scratches etc. and reapply the clear coat. I can find out from a friend who got this done a year or so back if you would like more details.
________
vaporizer volcano

Last edited by sanand911; 02-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, okay, I get it. Changing the color is BAD! I was most afraid that there would be a change in value if I did that and it sound like that is true.

Yes, SANAND911 if you wouldn't mind giving me the details on how the "buff" procedure would be done, it will help me be (and sound) a little more educated when I look for a good place in this neck of the woods to have it done.

Thank you all!

I love this forum. Everybody is helpful and knowledgable!