XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over heated

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over heated

This past 4th of July on my way home my car over heated. I pulled over and waited few minutes then drove again until it got hot, and pulled over again. A friend stopped by and gave me water for it, and started driving again, once again it over heated, I pulled over, friend suggested give it a couple of minutes he lived half a mile away, so I drove to his house I had him replace my water pump thermostat and anti freeze.

Now my Restricted Performance Check Engine light goes on, he suggested I try changing my plugs and cleaning my coil pac, First possible problem, I searched Spark Plugs on this thread and someone suggested double platinum plugs, so I got AutoLife P3924 double platinum, and found a thread that provided the steps to change them and I did, I also used contact cleaner to clean my coil connections,used Bounty to absorb any oil in my plug chamber which there was some on the first 3 on the right side only.

When I first started the car it didn't start on first turn of the key like normal, but did when I tried again. I drove it around the block and it bucked twice, my friend said it was probably clearing the msfired clylinder. I took it for about a 10 mile ride and everything seemed back to normal, no hot temperture reading, no hestition at all, my only concern is my Restricted Performance light stays on along with my Check Engine amber light. I started the car again and it won't start on my first turn of the key, but did again on my second turn.

Am I all right, is there anything else I can do, did I use the wrong plugs and thats causing my starting problem? What implications are there to driving it with the Restricted Performance/Check Engine lihts on.

Hey I love my Jag and have to admit I'm a little scared.

Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Markarras
This past 4th of July on my way home my car over heated. I pulled over and waited few minutes then drove again until it got hot, and pulled over again. A friend stopped by and gave me water for it, and started driving again, once again it over heated, I pulled over, friend suggested give it a couple of minutes he lived half a mile away, so I drove to his house I had him replace my water pump thermostat and anti freeze.

Now my Restricted Performance Check Engine light goes on, he suggested I try changing my plugs and cleaning my coil pac, First possible problem, I searched Spark Plugs on this thread and someone suggested double platinum plugs, so I got AutoLife P3924 double platinum, and found a thread that provided the steps to change them and I did, I also used contact cleaner to clean my coil connections,used Bounty to absorb any oil in my plug chamber which there was some on the first 3 on the right side only.

When I first started the car it didn't start on first turn of the key like normal, but did when I tried again. I drove it around the block and it bucked twice, my friend said it was probably clearing the msfired clylinder. I took it for about a 10 mile ride and everything seemed back to normal, no hot temperture reading, no hestition at all, my only concern is my Restricted Performance light stays on along with my Check Engine amber light. I started the car again and it won't start on my first turn of the key, but did again on my second turn.

Am I all right, is there anything else I can do, did I use the wrong plugs and thats causing my starting problem? What implications are there to driving it with the Restricted Performance/Check Engine lihts on.

Thanks
After fixing the Problem, It will take a number of "Driving Cycles" to clear the Trouble Code and Check Engine Light. The Driving Cycles are complex, involving number of trips, trip length, driving time, speed etc.

Or, you could Read and Clear the Trouble Codes/CEL.

After Clearing the Codes/CEL, a number of Driving Cycles will be required before the "Emission Monitor" tests are completed.

If the CEL comes on again, you will have to investigate further.

If you can, read the Trouble Codes (Using your own Code Reader or at Autozone etc.), Forum members may be able to help.

Edit: My response above assumes that the Problem has been Fixed. If the Temperature actually got high enough, Engine Damage is Possible. The Temp Gauge is notorious for not reporting High Engine Temp until just before Damage had occurred. Best to drive carefully and monitor Temp Gage for any sign of High Temp. Also, if the reason for the "Restricted Performance" message is fixed, the RP message should clear rapidly even if the CEL stays on.

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 07-08-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

+1 on Paul's advice.

It looks like you used the correct spark plugs, so no worries there.

You do, however, have leaking seals in your spark plug wells. It is not an emergency, but you should have all the valve cover seals and gaskets replaced. Oil in the spark plug wells can cause misfires.

If you do not know if your secondary tensioners have been upgraded to the metal type, it is the perfect time to evaluate and upgrade them if needed while the valve covers are removed to replaced the gaskets and seals.

Also consider a full time temperature monitor such as 'UltraGauge' or a Coolant Gauge upgrade such as 'RealGauge' because your current coolant gauge does not give early indication of impending overheating until an overheating event has already occured. These aluminum engines are not very tolerant of overheating. Hopefully you were lucky this time.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks
Keep in touch with what you find. Very important area you are in and the info can be helpful to all.

EZDriver

Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Brought the car to my shop and had the comptuer generate the codes
P0300
P0306
P0307
P0308
P0102
P0112

which indicated I forgot to plug in the switch to the intake, once that was done now my car starts on first turn of the key again
The other were mis-fires.
Going ot for ride now, the errors have been cleared and no Check Engine or restricted Performance. Hoping they don't come back

Thanks again fpr all your help, this forum is unbelievably helpful

Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

I forgot to plug in the switch to the intake,
Thanks again for all your help, this forum is unbelievably helpful
I assume that you mean that you didn't have the MAF/IATS Connector connected on the front end of the Air Tube (right behind the Air Cleaner Housing).

Old 07-09-2012, 04:47 PM

OK just drove it for 45 minutes after 30 minutes my CE light came back on, restricted performance hasn't popped it ugly head yet. Temperature remains normal, and accerlation seems fine.

I'm I in big trouble, any suggestions?

Trending Topics

Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Yes I didn't have it connected, took it off wen changed my plugs and neglected to plug it back in. Starts fine again. but CE back on.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Now you should take it to the shop or Autozone/Advance Auto for a code read and see which codes came back.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 PM

will do thanks I'll let you know

Old 07-09-2012, 05:43 PM

I just checked my oil gauge and my oil is real low, is that a symtom from my issues?
but you should have all the valve cover seals and gaskets replaced.
how expensive is it to have this done?

Just need to prepare my savings as times are not what they use to be.

Thanks again for all your help

Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Which do you mean...oil pressure gauge on the dashboard or the oil dipstick on the engine?

Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM

I got the codes and had it reset again but these are totally different codes
P0171, Po174 and P1000,

Thanks again
Mark

Old 07-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Oil dipstick, had the codes checked after my car was parked since my ride and the oil level looks normal again, is that because I checked right after driving it?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Oil dipstick, had the codes checked after my car was parked since my ride and the oil level looks normal again, is that because I checked right after driving it?

Thanks
Most likely yes. I'm not sure if there is an official recommendation from Jaguar but the rule of thumb I have always heard was to give 10 minutes or so for the oil to drain down before checking.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:12 PM

Any idea what these codes mean and how thry could have become the after effects of my actions?

P0171, Po174 and P1000,

Thanks
Mark

Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

You should make sure that your air intake has been refitted properly and is not leaking.
They are also prone to cracking so check for that if it all looks good with the connections.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

You can run with oil 1qt over top mark, assuming you have original dipstick. That is not your most important issue at present, but something to remember.
RJ___________________
97 XK8 Conv 85K mi

Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM

I bought a new air intake about 4 months ago as you said this had black tape on it. The one question about that the rubber ring I put in the hose was that correct, or should it be in the metal carb like thing?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
You should make sure that your air intake has been refitted properly and is not leaking.
They are also prone to cracking so check for that if it all looks good with the connections.
+1. The air intake pipe and the smaller tubes coneected to it must all be properly seated and not cracked. Air leaks are the most common cause of these codes. If your friend did not put these back correctly that could be your problem.

Quick Reply: Over heated