XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Seat Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Passenger Seat Problem

When I bought my 2003 XK8, I found the passenger seat would not operate at all - neither the backrest nor the seat would go forward or backward. The lumbar support control worked, and I could hear the headrest motor whine (a problem to tackle at a later date - I've seen the TSB regarding the drive cable sheathing), but seat/backrest forward/reverse switches produced no noise at all. I could also see that someone had pulled the seat control module and seat switchpack loose from their brackets, likely trying to troubleshoot/fix the problem.

After verifying associated fuses and reading several threads here covering seat control modules and repair of said modules, I opened the module case and inspected the printed circuit board for damage. I did find one trace that was burned and repaired that. After doing so, the back rest will now operate properly, but the seat will still not move forwards or backwards. However, I can hear and feel the motor just behind the control module running - which was not happening prior to repairing the control module.

I am assuming this may be a gear or drive cable issue, but was wondering if any of you have any experience with, or fix for this problem? Since the driver's side seat operates properly in all directions (with the exception of also having the headrest issue) I have swapped both the driver side control module and seat control switchpack as a check to see if I may have missed a damaged trace on the control board or have a switchpack problem, but the driver side controls produce the same results on the passenger seat as its own controls do.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by fdbrock
When I bought my 2003 XK8, I found the passenger seat would not operate at all... Any help would be much appreciated!
I do not have a direct assistance to offer, but I did not want to leave you without a response. It looks like you are progressing very methodically down this path of repair. I would have to agree that the next logical step is to investigate the mechanical part of the seat adjustment. The electrical part seems to be taken care of. Folks have reported that removing the seat is no big deal (mostly when replacing the brake switch, or even to replace seat covers). Otherwise, nothing wrong with trying a mechanics mirror or even slide a smartphone and Skype/Facetime with another device to help diagnose. Another source is the parts manual (JEPC), to see if a schematic of the area helps. Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
fdbrock (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your response fmertz! I will certainly try the mirror/smartphone to investigate further. From what I've read on this forum, it is fairly easy to remove the seat - when you can move it fully forward and fully back to remove the four mounting bolts! Right now, the seat is fully forward, so I can get to the back two bolts (torx head), but don't know yet how I'm going to move it backward to get to the back two bolts...

I will certainly check the JEPC for any solutions. Thanks again!

Old 12-20-2015, 06:31 PM

So, today's progress towards fixing this issue...

With the passenger's seat control module removed (two 10mm nuts hold a slotted metal bracket to the seat frame - one must be removed, the other loosened), I was able to access and remove the seat track motor by referring to Jaguar Workshop Manual downloaded from this site. Thank you guys so much!!!

Removing the seat track motor (which moves the seat forward and backward) without the luxury of being able to remove the seat from the car - because the damn motor won't turn the gears to move the seat so one can get to the front and back bolts that hold the seat down - is not for the big boys. It takes a good light, small hands, a 7mm end wrench, and a good bit of patience. Fortunately, there are only two bolts holding the motor in place. Once removed, the motor can be detached from the drive cables and sleeves by lifting slightly and pulling the motor out from under the seat, then disconnecting the motor's electrical connector.

Once I got my seat track motor out, I found the problem immediately - there were no drive cables inside the sleeves! Go figure! Who the hell would go through what I did to remove the drive cables, and then put all that crap back together without replacing them?!!!

So, now I'm on a quest to find replacement drive cables for my seat track motor. Anyone got any ideas where I might find them?

Old 02-07-2016, 03:27 PM

Update: Seat problem fixed!

After much back and forth with a couple of salvage dealers on eBay, and some trial and error in the shop, I finally have my passenger seat properly moving in all directions.

My first attempt to re-install the motor with the seat still mounted in the car (remember, with no drive cables I couldn't move it back and forth to gain access to the four mounting screws), resulted in me screwing up one of the two drive cables I purchased for $20 from a salvage dealer. My mistake here, was starting with the cables inserted in the motor sockets, then inserting one cable into the worm gear socket of the drive screw, and finally trying to coax the other cable into the square receptacle of its worm gear by 'bumping' the motor with the seat switch. Because the motor sockets are smaller diameter than the worm gear sockets, the proper method would have been to install the cables in the worm gear sockets first, and then work them into the motor sockets - BY HAND! Also, one should ensure that the positions of the squared receptacle of all sockets are aligned with each other. In the end, I had to spend another $68 to buy a motor from another salvage dealer in order to get the two drive cables that came with it.

While I waited on the seat motor and cables to arrive, I managed to use the remaining, good cable from my first purchase to zig-zag the seat back and forth until I was finally able to remove the seat from the car.

Now with better access, another set of cables, and learning from my previous mistake, I was able to re-fit the motor and cables in only a few minutes. First, I removed the front two of the four nuts that hold the seat cushion to its frame, and loosened the back two, which allowed me to tilt the cushion away from the frame and give me plenty of room to properly align and install the cables and motor from the top.

Oh, and while I was at it, I performed the headrest cable fix. I did not use the heat-shrink method, but cut off, cleaned out, reinstalled, and re-crimped the chrome end piece that holds the headrest cable into the motor's socket. And, after re-installing my passenger seat and ensuring everything worked like it should, I removed my driver's seat and performed the headrest fix on it too!

Now, I can't wait for warmer weather so I can break out the RaggTopp cleaner and conditioner and get that convertible top beading water...

Old 02-08-2016, 05:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by fdbrock
Update: Seat problem fixed! ......
I've fortunately never been stuck in this situation. Full marks for determination and ingenuity in resolving it.

Graham