XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger side headrest wont stay in position.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:46 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Passenger side headrest wont stay in position.

As the title says, I can adjust the electric headrest to the correct position and as soon as you take your finger off the switch it just returns to the start position?

I would imagine that its something like the windowns, that they need the memory resetting or something? It can't be anything to do with the battery as I have the car on a conditioner whenever its in the garage and parked up for a bit. Its probably been doing this for ages, but I don't sit in the passenger seat very often!! Wife complained she couldn't get the adjustment sorted!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

There are many posts about the headrest problem. Short of it is that the cable drive (with a square end) is a bit too short compared to the sleeve it rotates in and, over time, disengages from the headrest mechanism. It results in the cable spinning with no headrest motion. Maybe yours is a variation of this root problem.

Other possibility is that when you recline the seat forward with the headrest extended, the headrest is automatically retracted to clear the headliner. Maybe the switch that shows the control module the seat is unlatched is faulty and the headrest retracts.

Just my thoughts. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Embarrassingly, it may be that it all works fine!

I think what happened was that in tipping the seat using the button near the top of the side of the seat, we assumed that this was the way the headrest operated! In searching the forum for other ideas, someone had posted a diagram of the headrest controls which showed the up/down control as being part of the forward/back switch located in the base of the seat, which I wasn't aware of!

So I managed to find a part of the car which seems to have a re-occurring fault, and think it has a fault when in fact it works fine!!

Note to self.....Use the search box next time before asking stupid questions.... LOL

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

There are no stupid questions....