Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picking up my 2005 Jaguar XK coupe tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Picking up my 2005 Jaguar XK coupe tomorrow

Hi guys,

I'll be picking my new 2005 XK8 coupe tomorrow...the car currently only has 36K miles on it and has a check engine (P0455) which leads me to the canister purge valve? I read that it's a common issue for this car. Anyway, I wonder what kind of preventative maintenance that I should tackle right away? at 36 K would the plugs needs change? tranny fluids? differential fluids? I came from Saab World (well still do) so I usually do my maintenance myself. This would be my first V8 ...yeees..

2. Where would majority of you find get your parts from? As soon as I drive it home from San Jose to Oregon (with the P0455 code on) I will replace the canister right away.

Thank you guys ...any tips on how I can make sure this Jag last a long time would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:08 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

With a new (to me) Jaguar, regardless of how good the history looks, I always carry out all the items on the Service Schedule to give me a base line for future servicing.

XK Maintenance Schedules 2005.pdf

The one thing I usually do leave out is changing spark plugs. The recommended change interval is 100K miles.

Transmission fluid change is an obvious preventative maintenance task as is checking battery age and condition because these cars are very sensitive to charge level.

Graham

Old 02-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Excellent advice from Graham above....

Study the stickied threads at the top of the XK8 forum. You have much to learn and this is one of the best ways to get up-to-speed quickly. There are many long-time owners here so if you explain your problem in detail in decent English, chances are that you'll get the help you need....

Dealership parts prices are usually quite high. Our cars were built when Ford owned the lion's share of Jaguar so a few parts can sometimes be sourced there. Other options include our forum sponsors such as SNG Barratt Group. Call them at (800) 452-4787 and ask them to mail you their fantastic XK8 parts catalog. It is invaluable for these cars and it is FREE. Call them today....

Good luck and welcome to the forum. As you will quickly learn, it will become by far the most important tool in your toolbox....

The following users liked this post:
zidjan (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

Two valuable tools are JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information Service) and JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue). Both available in "sticky" section.

Attached P0455.

Attached Thumbnails Picking up my 2005 Jaguar XK coupe tomorrow-evap.png  
zidjan (02-18-2015)
Old 02-18-2015, 02:56 PM

Thank you guysss!!! thank's for the quick reply... yes I know I have been reading a lot about the XK8 issues and weaknesses...I am glad I ended up with a 2005 ...no tensioner issue to think about.....I've been reading some of the how to's and yes that's the reason I ended up buying the Jag rather than a Boxster (my other choice)...because the Jag seems a little easier to maintain although I am sure the Boxster can provide me a better smile/dollar. Anyway, you know I'll be coming to this forum a lot for advice...I've been reading about the P0455 now....so let's see where mine will land (broken hose or canister).

Old 02-18-2015, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

smile for the dollar, perhaps not. there are tons of those Porsche cars that look the same to many, this year JAG, NOTHING like it on the road and throw in the fact that you have the coupe, which is RARELY seen.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by brgjag
smile for the dollar, perhaps not. there are tons of those Porsche cars that look the same to many, this year JAG, NOTHING like it on the road and throw in the fact that you have the coupe, which is RARELY seen.
Hahaa...well said...I guess I meant the handling on the Porsche will be superior than the Jag but the again ...the cat looks much prettier and more elegant...although I'm not too fond of the whole burl wood look...I wonder if there's a replacement dash with some lighter wood color...but yeah the reason I picked the Jag is because it's the coupe

Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Dash

E-Bay has full dash wood kits from used cars and different years and models had different woods and finishes and rarely a carbon fiber dash kit will show up. The dash is pretty easy to wrap as well in a variety of finishes. You can also have the dash refinished.

zidjan (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
E-Bay has full dash wood kits from used cars and different years and models had different woods and finishes and rarely a carbon fiber dash kit will show up. The dash is pretty easy to wrap as well in a variety of finishes. You can also have the dash refinished.
Hmm...that's a good idea...I'll see what I can find.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Best advise is to actually believe every word these folks say about the battery charge level. I had gremlins that only disappeared when I broke down and replaced a battery that tested OK, but just barely. Forget what you might have experienced on other cars in this regard. Jaguars love the juice.

zidjan (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by PJMoore
Best advise is to actually believe every word these folks say about the battery charge level. I had gremlins that only disappeared when I broke down and replaced a battery that tested OK, but just barely. Forget what you might have experienced on other cars in this regard. Jaguars love the juice.
so whar are u saying about the battery? chances are the battery is original ....just pay attention to the charge level ú mean? make sure its over 12.3 volts? also i'm assuming the code p0455 should be ok to put off and drive it for 500 miles?

Old 02-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by zidjan
so whar are u saying about the battery? chances are the battery is original ....just pay attention to the charge level ú mean? make sure its over 12.3 volts? also i'm assuming the code p0455 should be ok to put off and drive it for 500 miles?
No harm driving with the P0455 unless you have an overwhelming fuel odor. Before replacing the purge valve, inspect the plastic and rubber pipework under the car connected to the two rectangular black plastic boxes (the charcoal canisters) between the rear wheels. A detached, or broken plastic vapor pipe, or a deteriorated rubber hose could cause this also.

And at least 12.3 volts after 8 hours without the engine running is a good rough guideline for the battery.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-19-2015 at 04:03 PM.
zidjan (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
No harm driving with the P0455 unless you have an overwhelming fuel odor. Before replacing the purge valve, inspect the plastic and rubber pipework under the car connected to the two rectangular black plastic boxes (the charcoal canisters) between the rear wheels. A detached, or broken plastic vapor pipe, or a deteriorated rubber hose could cause this also.

And at least 12.3 volts after 8 hours without the engine running is a good rough guideline for the battery.
thx for the tips....this is a great forum....i thought the saab community is about the best forum out there but this forum impresses me by how active it is ...thx a lot i'll be looking at the car tomorrow morning so wish me luck.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zidjan
Hi guys,

I'll be picking my new 2005 XK8 coupe tomorrow…
Did you see an Alpine green 99 XK8 headed South on a transporter, down I-5, on your way home? I expect to take delivery today here in Grants Pass. Aren't new toys fun.

Russ

Last edited by cruisin; 02-20-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:30 AM

Haha..I havent left Sacramento yet...but I'll be sure to look out for It... and report back if I see a green xk8 :-)

For you experienced xk-er out there....when i drive the car aside from immense pleasure I got out of the 4.2 v8, I notice steering vibration at highway speed.... my wife doesn't feel it...I am guessing its just the steering....which means steering bushing? I'm going to tackle the p0455 first thing, maybe change the steering bushing, check the battery voltage, get her a full treatment at the spa (full details) and start shopping for exhaust....anything else?

Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Try dropping the steering wheel all the way down and see if the vibration goes away.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by oyster
Hi.

Two valuable tools are JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information Service) and JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalogue). Both available in "sticky" section.

Attached P0455.
Do you guys know if the part no LJB1515AB applies to 2005 as well?

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Try dropping the steering wheel all the way down and see if the vibration goes away.
I tried it last night...although at 50mph the steering doesn't shake....I haven't try it at 70mph maybe i'll do that today....what's wrong with it if it only shakes at higher speed? up to 80 mph and then it's fine.

Last edited by zidjan; 02-22-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Do not spend any money on repairing the steering until you:

-Inspect the wheels for dents, especially on the inside rim.
-Have the tires inspected for uneven wear.
-Have the wheels/tires balanced with a Hunter Roadforce balance machine

zidjan (02-22-2015)
Old 02-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

No one's mentioned this yet and while you have a 05 (10 yrs old) the front suspension components will cause this, I had a shake at 70 thought 55 was fine. There are a number of threads on this issue if you do a search some with video on how to do any repairs. Items are top/lower shock mounts, bushings and ball joints. Of course due your due diligence on alignment, note many tire centers won't have the shim kits available to make the alignments but get your readings and post them here on the forums other members can comment on what's acceptable vs needed corrected.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your new ride..

Old 02-22-2015, 01:29 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

[QUOTE=zidjan;1167860]Do you guys know if the part no LJB1515AB applies to 2005 as well?

I think it does.

Attached Thumbnails Picking up my 2005 Jaguar XK coupe tomorrow-purge-valve.png  
zidjan (02-22-2015)

Quick Reply: Picking up my 2005 Jaguar XK coupe tomorrow