XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.

Hello all,

I have done a few new modifications in the last couple of weeks.

I will not bore those that have already viewed pictures from a previous thread but I will post link at bottom for those that may have not seen the previously.

Here are the latest modification pictures.

For those contemplating changing the factory yellow side markers and adding clear repeater lenses here are some pictures. The front clear side marker lens have clear bulbs and come on automatically with the headlights. The clear repeaters with yellow bulbs replaced a Factory leaper badge ( which I liked) but feel the blinking repeater or turn signal offer a lot of safety as, drivers can see your turning or lane change intentions even from the side, the repeaters blink same as front and rear turn signal. If you want to compare colors of lenses just click on link below.
I feel safer already!

The leaper on the door handle was an after thought , I bought them to go above the repeater but they did not look good, I added the Jaguar Coventry badge below the repeater and there was just too much going on?

I Found a great home for the leaper on the door handle the chrome on chrome looks great. A very classy and sublime addition.

I painted the Supercharger with the same red G2 paint as I used for the Brake Calipers. I plan on either sanding the letters of supercharger down to brushed aluminum or paint the letters black, just not sure how I'm going to do that, don't want to mess up paint with running.
The first picture is of naked supercharger is after it was cleaned, ready for paint. The rest are self explanatory.

As always I appreciate any and all comments pro or con. It is fun to the read peoples comments about my car, I love my Jaguar 2001 XKR want it to have it's own identity with an updated appearance and I believe I have achieved that in a very nice and classy manner.
Hope you do too!

I have nothing else planned for modifications. Except possibly lower springs, I think that would be a great modification, but do not have anyone that I feel comfortable with doing it. oh yes, I do plan on recovering my A-Pillars and header with same material that my new headliner is made from. I am sure ideas will come along in time, will keep you updated as things progress.

Happy Motoring to all...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-17/2001-xkr-pictures-reconditioning-7
2253/

Attached Thumbnails Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.-dscn2234.jpg   Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.-dscn2239.jpg   Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.-dscn2245.jpg   Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.-dscn2257.jpg   Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.-dscn2261.jpg  

Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.-dscn2277.jpg   Pictures of newest 2001 XKR modification.-dscn2371.jpg  

Last edited by vettegood; 06-01-2012 at 11:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
eszpulecki1 (05-25-2021)
Old 05-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default No pix

Uh, oh, the pictures did not load into your post!

OOOPS! Now they're up. (edit)

Old 05-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Intake color

It may only be worth a few degrees, but intake parts need to be light in color for performance. White parts reflect heat, black parts absorb heat. The red is a bit dark, but not so much as to be darker than the original grey. White painted parts can actually reduce heat soak and ever-so-slightly increase performance.

Since you're not drag racing this thing or driving it in a NASCAR event, it's cool to see that you're having fun! I appreciate your continued posting of photos.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I really like your new mods, all of them. I also plan on doing the clear side repeaters, even though I liked the leaper. I'd rather be safe but I hadn't thought of adding a badge below the repeater. That allows having your cake and eating it too. Where did you get the leapers for the door handles and how did you attach them? Very understated and classy. One suggestion for the red supercharger: buy red hoses from XKRacer, they'll look great. You've got to paint JAGUAR on the supercharger but I'm not sure is black or white would look best.

Mark

Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I think Vettegood is aiming for appeareance rather than out and out performance so the heat soak probably isn't an issue, I doubt the performance difference between white and black would be noticable.
Are you going to do the lettering on the cover?
I was thinking about the repeaters also so it's good to see how they look, did you say where you got them in the other post.
I like the leapers on the door handles too, I wasn't sure reading your post but the picture looks good.
What's next?

vettegood (05-28-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

I like most of your mods, but think that colour paint finish would be better with the original amber side markers.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I am not one for badges, I prefer the "decluttered look"...

When I paint the charge coolers I then go over the lettering with some 180 grit wet and dry, once the paint is off go over with 1000 grit, you can then get a good polish on the aluminum just using paint rubbing compound so it does not upset your paint work..... This looks way better than trying to paint the letters

Take a look at this pic and you will see what I mean

Name:  IMG_4155.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  80.3 KB

Last edited by XKRacer; 05-28-2012 at 02:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by XKRacer:
MFoncerrada8 (09-27-2013), vettegood (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Good work mate,love it all now just hope you got rid of them foot mats.

Last edited by graham11; 05-28-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer

And THAT, gentlemen, is how it's done.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 AM

Yes XKRACER,
Now that is BEAUTIFUL!
Without question as good as it gets!

Where did you get the metal caps oil,brake,dipstick and Jaguar cover?

XKRACER you do this professionally don't you? If you don't you should...

I was pretty much planning on the sanding of the letters, like you have done.
The 180 grit wet was tough enough to get thru the epoxy paint huh?
Did you use it wet or dry?
All by hand or did you use a machine or a sanding block?
Did you use a clear coat after all done or leave the letters.

The V8 area did you sand that to shine or is that painted?

What about colored hoses, anything I should consider with those?

I really like the metal accessories please let me know where to get them. Are they pre painted?
Are they chrome or aluminum?

Thanks for your post.
Happy Motoring

Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegood
Yes XKRACER,
Now that is BEAUTIFUL!
Without question as good as it gets!

XKRACER you do this professionally don't you? If you don't you should...

I really like the metal accessories please let me know where to get them.

Thanks for your post.
Happy Motoring
You'll find a clue in the link in his signature.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Yes I must admit I do this for a living....

You should click on my web address below my signature (thanks Norri ), then look on the lefthand side and click on Engine Upgrades and Detailing (I made that a link for those that dont want to go through the whole site!)

Here's one I finished the other day

Name:  IMG_1502a.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  75.8 KB

I do not use epoxy paint but 2K, stands up to the heat no probs and easy to look after, but doing the lettering the way I said will still work but like you say a little more elbow grease is involved.... All the bling you see is made by me and as far as I know I am the only supplier of purpose made silicone hoses for the XK range (X100)

The V8 top plate is polished as well is the main water pipe/thermostat set up. The coil pack covers are billet aluminium engraved, polished and then the lettring painted red to match the hoses.... The polished aluminium induction pipes are also made by me, basically I can do anything you want even change the engraving, I have done the coil packs with R logos before, I would even put something on there of your own liking if you wished........ All in the aid of good fun tinkering with your favorite toy!

Jeff in Tucson (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Thanks XKRACER, your "Stuff" is really cool.
Wish you here in Arizona. I could clean your floors for trade.

The unfortunate thing is I'm retired and would have to go get a job to do the things I would like and as we all know the job market is not so good here in the good 'ol USofA.

So I guess I will need to stick to what I can do myself. Not so perfect as you, but not so bad for me.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post pictures and all, they are works of ART.

Happy Memorial Day to all
and of course
Happy Motoring...

Old 05-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

In answer to colors and heat radiation. White and lighter colors absorb less illuminating light and thus heat up less. Black and darker colors actually emit heat faster than lighter colors. We use this trick in the electrical industry by painting bus bar black on test heat runs to cool the bus and it works very well. So unless you're driving around in Florida or Arizona without the hood on you're OK.

Marc (07-14-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by The Coupe
And THAT, gentlemen, is how it's done.
+1

Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Yes I must admit I do this for a living.... :icon_wink
Your engine details always leave them looking like new again so I have to ask, what is your advice for dealing with those sunburned and shabby looking plastic parts under the hood?

Is there some magic potion involving eye of newt, snake spit and a splash of gin that works wonders?