Sponsored by:

Pirelli Pzero How much difference - New vs. Old? Intersting results

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Default Pirelli Pzero How much difference - New vs. Old? Intersting results

Guys,

This morning I replaced very worn Pirelli Pzero p245 50 r17 Asymitricos in the rear with the same tire. I just had to post this feedback, significant change.

I've run Pzero on the car since I got it. I should acknowledge that this this isn't the first time I've put on new Perilli's, let's face it if they last 18 to 22 months you're really lucky. In the past it was always 4 brand new tires on the car, and of course things change a lot. I always felt like there are so many variables in that equation, it was hard to see which change impacted what. I'd have 4 newly balanced tires, a new alignment, and I had brand new front tires (which bear so much of the load on turns) and brand new rear tires.

Today was different. I somehow managed to wear the rears out much faster than the fronts, I was losing the tire's tread.

I got to thinking - I've got a brand new Pzero spare in the trunk, less than 2 yr old. If I were to just buy 1 new Pzero I could have 2 new tires in the rear for the price of one tire. I'll just put one of the used ones in the trunk as a spare.

I ordered the new tire for rear left and had the unused spare put on the rear right side. This would be interesting I thought, two new Pzeros in the rear - let's see if I can feel a difference before vs. after.

Well the first thing I noticed was that the car felt great driving on a new road with the new asphault, very smooth. Don't laugh but it took about 2 miles to realize this had nothing to do with the "new" road surface - every road is the same - they all feel that way now, this feeling was from the rear tires! Much much quieter; much much smoother.

Before this change I was scratching my head wondering what could have possilbly loosened or worn in the last 6 or 7 months since I replaced all the rubber up front, new shocks, sway bar links. Those changes made a nice improvement to suspension "tightness". The car was getting "lose". A bit too much body sway, I couldn't figure it out, not the worst thing in the world but it was bugging me. Good news: IT IS NOW GONE! The bloody new tires even fixed that.

Do the new Pirelllis stick much better? - Yes, boy they sure do. I was getting used to the ASC kicking in and slowing things down on hard turns - not anymore, and guys I pushed her. The traction didn't blink - stuck to the road without blinking. Big difference.

In case I didn't mention it, I still have the 18 month old Pirellis (same model) on the front tires. I think that is an important point. To me that is the great equalizer in this review. The only thing changed were the rear tires. Wow I am smiling, but really surprised at how different new ones are. I have seen this questioned and discussed before, I am not sure I've ever seen feedback where there was a comparison with just one variable changed. I hope you find it as interesting as I do.

John

The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
cjd777 (05-27-2016), Jag#4 (05-27-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

With the new tires one would expect a bit better ride, the question is aren't you thinking you'll be in the same place 2k miles from now? IF the orig pair of rears wore down odds are the next ones are going to also. Did you measure your wheel arch height on the back? Did you get a 4 wheel alignment or did you just have it in for alignment, most places only do fronts if you do not specify 4 wheel.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

You made me smile, I wondered if I should acknowledge that or not but wanted to stick k to the facts. Bought pirelli cause I had the brand new one in the trunk. Next time it will be continental extreme contact at almost 1/2 the price. So this note was just to highlight the difference found with just this one change. If one were to search they would find many saying that they don't lose traction as they get old, wow they lose alot more than that...

Old 05-28-2016, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Just as a point of discussion, all tires age, and get harder. I change my tires every couple of years because of this. The harder they get, the less traction you get, and the more rubber you lose. Unless you are going for a long lasting hard tire, like a Michelin, it is best to sell your old tires to someone who doesn't know any better, and keep fresh rubber on your own car........Mike