Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pirelli Tires

Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
I wish I'd had the money available to get a set of Continental DW tires for Kat while they were still available from TireRack but I had just bought her and paid for service and repairs. The next week when I could buy them they were all gone.

WA, Come to Houston! We've got everything over here but a Quarterback....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Another great tire choice is the Yokohama YK580 available exclusively from Discount Tire. I have been running these tires on my wife's 2006 XK8 since 2012 and still believe they are one of the best bang-for-the-buck grand touring tires on the market....

Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Originally Posted by bcprice36

Billy Clyde in Houston
W.A.,
Whoops! I opened my big mouth to soon......Looks like we do have a Quarterback over here as of last night.......Something about Clemson's Deshaun Watson.......Houston's new Mr. Watson......and heavy on the Mister!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-29-2017, 05:45 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Another great tire choice is the Yokohama YK580 available exclusively from Discount Tire. I have been running these tires on my wife's 2006 XK8 since 2012 and still believe they are one of the best bang-for-the-buck grand touring tires on the market....
I'd actually looked for Yokohama tires as one of my acquaintances is running the YK580 in the 18" size. Discount told me they aren't available in the 17" size that our older XK8's use. Tire Rack had the Continentals at closeout pricing and I'm a very happy with them though.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been in the tire business for longer than I want to remember and when someone asks me who makes the best tires I always reply, "It depends on how you drive and what you expect from them." Tires are like sneakers, it's a personal choice based on what you want from them. In my case when replacing the Pirelli P-Zero Asymetrico Z rated tires I chose to go with the Pirelli Centurato P7 Plus. I lowered the speed rating down from a Z to V because I don't drive as fast as I use to. The handling is almost the same but the biggest improvement is in the ride. Now I love driving my car. It still responds well but now it has a soft ride. I am also a fan of the Conti DWS for all season driving. I would rate it's traction better than the Pirelli but with a more aggressive tread design it is likely to be a little bit louder that the Pirelli.

Just ask yourself, "What do I want from my tires?". Once you determine that, then have fun shopping.

The following users liked this post:
Scottsgreenjag (04-30-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Jon89,

I just looked this Tire (Yokie YK580) up on Discount Tires website and it looks great, has sort of a double tread like the DWS and only cost $85.98 + a $50.00 rebate, if you buy 4 and use a DT Credit Card! Jon, All this is good for you but my Jag has 20" Wheels and I don't see any Yokies for it.......So, I'm stuck with Connies starting at $198.00......Good luck to you and yours!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-29-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Billy Clyde,

Pay no attention to the Discount Tire website. Call your local Discount Tire store and ask the local guys if they can order the tire you want in the size you need. Chances are that they can. My local Discount Tire store manager has been able to do this for me for at least the past five years if not longer. Discount Tire is the best, but you have to work with your local crew, not the website....

Old 04-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

Billy Clyde,

Pay no attention to the Discount Tire website. Call your local Discount Tire store and ask the local guys if they can order the tire you want in the size you need. Chances are that they can. My local Discount Tire store manager has been able to do this for me for at least the past five years if not longer. Discount Tire is the best, but you have to work with your local crew, not the website....
Jon,
I've used Discount Tire for years and have always had a Store Manager that I befriended but lately they have start moving them around quiet a bit, so I started using the Store about a mile from the House......First thing they did was break one of my BBS Air Valves in their Mounting Machine....That was about 2 months ago now and they still don't have a replacement for it! I figured something like this would happen, so I ordered one from eBay the day after they broke it and have a new one just in case.....$24.00 just to make sure! Strange that I could get one within a week and they still don't have a replacement for me....Of course, that Manager has been moved......
Oh well!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear of your bad experience at your local Discount Tire store....

My local Discount Tire store guys have been so good to us over the years that every Christmas Eve morning I take them a big platter of my wife's homemade ham biscuits. They scarf those things down in minutes and treat me like a king for the rest of the year. They know me by name and bend over backwards to help me with whatever we need....

Old 04-30-2017, 05:38 AM
Received 105 Likes on 65 Posts

Jon,
I've used Discount Tire for years and have always had a Store Manager that I befriended but lately they have start moving them around quiet a bit, so I started using the Store about a mile from the House......First thing they did was break one of my BBS Air Valves in their Mounting Machine....That was about 2 months ago now and they still don't have a replacement for it! I figured something like this would happen, so I ordered one from eBay the day after they broke it and have a new one just in case.....$24.00 just to make sure! Strange that I could get one within a week and they still don't have a replacement for me....Of course, that Manager has been moved......
Oh well!

Billy Clyde in Houston
I understand that too well. I bought tires there for over 20 years when we lived in Colorado. In that time, they destroyed two tire pressure sensors in my 89 Vette (try finding those) overtorqued and destroyed four lugs on my 80 TR7 (oops, wrong torque tool) and tire rotation time, consistently over-inflated the tires on my 02 LR (specific pressures printed on the work order, front and rear are different). I stayed with them because they always made good on their goofs (well, they couldn't find replacement tire sensors for the Vette) had great prices, had a great nation wide warranty, and were across the street from where I worked...

Old 04-30-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Billy Clyde in Houston
Haha!

I'm not unhappy with the tires that were on the tire when I bought it (Yokohama YK580) but I know that there are better rides and better wet handling tires available in a summer tire than is available in an "All Season" tire.

For now I can live with them while I do my best to wear them out.