XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing Wheels?

So here is a picture of my current wheels, and my brother is telling me it would be really easy to pull those off the car and polish those out this winter. I would rather have those wheels be polished I think they would look better but I am curious if anyone has ever done that or not and if my brother is up in the night or not. Anyone know?

Attached Thumbnails Polishing Wheels?-photo.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Polishing will bring out the clear's shine, but you'll be left with the same 'color' of the wheel. I do know (as having my wheels all refurbished at one time or another) that there are at least two shades of jaguar 'hypersilver' to generalize that color to chose from. mine is the lighter of the two, and contains more silver flake in the paint. So unless you only want to to just shine it up, polishing won't change the look much.

If he's talking about removing the clear, polishing (basically prepping) the grey coating, and respraying with a new color paint and re-clearing it, then that's a bigger job, but probably a dramatic improvement to the classic double-five OEM wheel. I personally like the brighter silver look.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 AM

I think he meant that somehow we could make the wheels more shiny with a mirror like finish. And I think since I am asking the question here I am somewhat skeptical .

Hey I have a second question for you, is your car the stock height? I look at that picture above and it seems to sit a little lower to me which looks really nice.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Do you mean to remove the paint and polish the aluminium underneath? That would be quite a task and also labour intensive there after to keep them clean. If you want to go for the really bright look, take a look at what it costs to get them chrome plated?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Do you mean to remove the paint and polish the aluminium underneath? That would be quite a task and also labour intensive there after to keep them clean. If you want to go for the really bright look, take a look at what it costs to get them chrome plated?
I honestly don't know what he meant, he made it sound like it would be easy either way. I am just going to leave it alone at the moment. Thanks guys

Old 12-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the Double 5 Rims on my '01 XKR Coupe. The previous owner had the wheels chromed. I have attached a current closeup picture of my wheels. I think the chrome finish make the wheels pop!

Attached Thumbnails Polishing Wheels?-dsc03456.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Chrome does indeed make the wheels 'pop'. After having them on the first car I would prefer them on the car below. The $1000 hill between clean and chrome is too steep at this time.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts

Chrome rims just look way too ghetto. If you're going to chrome them, why not just go ahead and put some spinners on there? Some cool neon lights shining at the ground would be groovy, too.

h20boy's wheels look great to me just the way they are (I happen to have the identical wheels ).

Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Chrome rims just look way too ghetto. If you're going to chrome them, why not just go ahead and put some spinners on there? Some cool neon lights shining at the ground would be groovy, too.

h20boy's wheels look great to me just the way they are (I happen to have the identical wheels ).

Oh come on Sam, those chrome wheels look nice. I am not saying the stock ones don't look nice as well but that polished look is a nice change.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by stremsjg
I have the Double 5 Rims on my '01 XKR Coupe. The previous owner had the wheels chromed. I have attached a current closeup picture of my wheels. I think the chrome finish make the wheels pop!
Do you have a side view picture of your car so I can see the whole thing not just the wheels?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Veteran member

copesetic, the car has stock suspension. I think my old, original front shocks are allowing the car to sit lower, and I'll measure it before n after when they get replaced in the next couple weeks and let you know if that changes it.

Chrome wheels used to be more popular in years past. I've seen many jaguars with chrome rims and I don't know what it is, but it loses some of the beefiness of the rims, like the mirror allows it to appear less dense visually, maybe distracting from the car's lines...if that makes sense. That throws off the look for me.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Copesetic
Do you have a side view picture of your car so I can see the whole thing not just the wheels?

John (stremsjg) has some very nice pics in his album, I will make it easy and click HERE.

I don't mind chrome wheels the same way I dont mind the stealth look with black wheels, some cars it suits some it dont, it is all down to personal taste

Last edited by XKRacer; 12-10-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

John (stremsjg) has some very nice pics in his album, I will make it easy and click HERE.
Thanks XKRacer for posting the link. I hope this will help Copesetic with the side view.

The "pop" comment refers not only to the chrome wheels but the detailing of the hub and brake caliper that have been repainted for show purposes.

I am one of the few participants in Jaguar Concours that drives his car to compete in the championship class. The car now has 90,000 miles and is a pleasure to drive. The snow today will keep this cat in the garage, its not a snow cat.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Don't be discouraged- Reverend Sam has some very particular views. I have a large poster entitled "Jaguar Evolutions" done by some Jag nut (it's not an official Jaguar poster) and the centerpiece is a 2000 XK8 almost identical to mine (Anthracite) It shows the factory 17", but chrome plated. Stunning! It gives the car a huge boost of attitude. My winter project, along with fresh tires.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Scott Neilly
Don't be discouraged- Reverend Sam has some very particular views.
Yes I do! LOL No one has ever accused me of not being opinionated.

Having said that, I'm all for people doing whatever they want to their cars. I just think flashy chrome rims throw off an image that I'm not a fan of. That's just my opinion, though. To each his own.

I don't know why, but I tend to **** people off online. I guess I have a way of writing things that often doesn't reflect the tongue-in-cheek way in which they were intended. Oh well, it's just the internet. People will move on. This forum is a little different than a couple of the other forums I frequent because the people here tend to be older and more serious. I'm older, but I still have a seventh grade sense of humor.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
copesetic, the car has stock suspension. I think my old, original front shocks are allowing the car to sit lower, and I'll measure it before n after when they get replaced in the next couple weeks and let you know if that changes it.
I don't think you'll see a bit of difference in the height of the vehicle with new shocks. The shock absorbers don't support the weight of the vehicle in any way, they just dampen the oscillation of the springs. I like the look of your vehicle at its current height. Maybe the springs are just worn and weakened a little. I had a Chevy Equinox that I used to tow a very heavy trailer about 800 miles. After that the rear springs never went back to their original height. I had to readjust the aim of my headlights to compensate for the accidentally compressed springs.

I thought about putting the Mena springs on my XK8, but I think the convertibles look to low with an inch and a half of lowering (looks good on the coupes, though). I'd like to find some springs that lower my the front by about 3/4 inch and the rear by about an inch. If you ever decide to replace your old springs I'll buy them from you.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Veteran member

Well, in a few weeks same, we'll see the data! I only say that because the stupid thing sits higher after I lower it from jack stands. Then after a drive, she's back down. I think its probably a combination of both shock/coil. I'll start a new thread after, so we can evaluate my results...lol

Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Yes I do! LOL No one has ever accused me of not being opinionated.

Having said that, I'm all for people doing whatever they want to their cars. I just think flashy chrome rims throw off an image that I'm not a fan of. That's just my opinion, though. To each his own.

I don't know why, but I tend to **** people off online. I guess I have a way of writing things that often doesn't reflect the tongue-in-cheek way in which they were intended. Oh well, it's just the internet. People will move on. This forum is a little different than a couple of the other forums I frequent because the people here tend to be older and more serious. I'm older, but I still have a seventh grade sense of humor.
I don't think you said anything that should rock anybody's world I think we are all here as Jag owners so I assume that we at least have something in common!!!