XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI Results

I had the local car I have been looking at inspected by a local Jag dealer. Results fair. No compression problems (in the 140psi range all across.) Here are the other items. The question I have is, what would you have done IF you bought this car? The turn signal stuff and minor stuff we can ignore for this topic, I can do that stuff. The mechanic mentioned replacing the cooling stuff, as it is leaking, along with the rear diff, and the rear shock. The rest is regular maint. According to the dealer, for $4500 the car will be in the clear and need nothing (for now at least).

Recommend Wynn's fuel induction service Fail $179.95 X
Replace radiator hoses and by-pass hose and cross-over
pipe and hose reservoir to tower Fail $670.69 X
Replace tower, thermostat, t-stat cover, and tower cap Fail $521.25 X
Replace RR shock Fail $511.33 X
Replace diff right out put bearing and collar Fail $780.93 X
Replace both front and one rear turn signal bulbs Fail $91.71 X
Change engine oil and filter Caution $75.44 X See AI-7
Replace windshield wiper blades Fail $73.45 X See AI-15
Replace brake fluid Caution $179.95 X See AI-26
Replace heater hoses Fail $496.31 X See AI-30
Replace power steering fluid Fail $179.95 X See AI-32
Additional Recommendations Cost Declined Approved
Replace antenna mast $139.83
Fix cup holder with repair kit $350.20
Replace spark plugs $186.64

Estimate Subtotal $4,497.03

Thoughts?

Dave

Old 03-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Is this a 1997-early 2002? If so, where's the timing chain tensioners and transmission service on this list??

If it were me, and I know what I know (which isn't much compared to most on here)

Recommend Wynn's fuel induction service Fail $179.95 (BG 44 Can o' magic!)
pipe and hose reservoir to tower Fail $670.69
Replace tower, thermostat, t-stat cover, and tower cap Fail $521.25
Replace RR shock Fail $511.33
Replace diff right out put bearing and collar Fail $780.93
Replace both front and one rear turn signal bulbs Fail $91.71
Change engine oil and filter Caution $75.44
Replace windshield wiper blades Fail $73.45 DIY
Replace brake fluid (flush service) Caution $179.95
Replace heater hoses Fail $496.31 Why, is the heater not working?
Replace power steering fluid Fail $179.95
Replace antenna mast $139.83 DIY project, easy.
Fix cup holder with repair kit $350.20 DIY project, easy. Link
Replace spark plugs $186.64

Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Is this a 1997-early 2002? If so, where's the timing chain tensioners and transmission service on this list??

If it were me, and I know what I know (which isn't much compared to most on here)

pipe and hose reservoir to tower Fail $670.69
Replace tower, thermostat, t-stat cover, and tower cap Fail $521.25
Replace RR shock Fail $511.33
Replace diff right out put bearing and collar Fail $780.93
Change engine oil and filter Caution $75.44
Replace brake fluid (flush service) Caution $179.95
Replace heater hoses Fail $496.31 Why, is the heater not working?
Coolant is seeping from the hoses and on the tower, its not leaking, he said it is somewhat melted, and it gets so hot here, best to replace that stuff before it gives any trouble.

The "Fail" means it didnt meet inspection, (but could still be working)

Old 03-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Amazing! What year? Miles?

No mention of tensioners or suspension (?).

I cannot believe the cost quoted. Brake fluid flush $180? It would take less than half an hour to do that with a parts cost of $5. Turn signal bulbs $91.71? $1200 for hoses, thermostat?

My long standing philosophy is that these cars, especially the early ones are best owned by hobby mechanics. Other than the differential bearing/seal and rear shock there is nothing that couldn't be done by someone capable of changing a tire for 1/10th the price.

Why not check out the FAQ sticky above? It contains a list of things to look for in buying an used Jaguar. While there you might read through the rest of the links.

TightWadTom

Old 03-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

If a car I was looking at had all these probelms, I would run, not walk away from it. If you are determined, find a reasonable shop, the dealer is cleaning your clock. You don't say what car you are looking at so it's hard to help too much but even doing all this work doesn't guarantee the car will be like new, it could continue to come up with expensive repairs. One thing I will say, if the heater hoses are leaking, the intake manifold has to come out and this costs a few bucks to have done.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by oldmots
If a car I was looking at had all these probelms, I would run, not walk away from it. If you are determined, find a reasonable shop, the dealer is cleaning your clock. You don't say what car you are looking at so it's hard to help too much but even doing all this work doesn't guarantee the car will be like new, it could continue to come up with expensive repairs. One thing I will say, if the heater hoses are leaking, the intake manifold has to come out and this costs a few bucks to have done.
Sorry, its a 2000 xk8 Convert. This is teh 2nd PPi I have done in my search, and I walked from the first car. They have alotted in the price for thr itmes to be repaired. Still deciding...

All other items checked out ok. I only listed the problem items above.

Last edited by mambodave; 03-10-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with test point, that any one worth their salt and having the gumption to tackle it most of what you have described can be done by yourself. You just have to get past the fear factor. Its still a car.
I'll tackle most anything. They way I look at it is, if I can see it and get around it I can fix it.

Besides if you need help we are all here to offer guidance, laughter, and support, and the occasional ribbing.

How much are they asking for this convertable out the door minus the repairs?

If the dealer has this car you may beable to negotiate all of this with the sale, The value of the car plus the repairs vs. this car sitting on their lot another day could be a good negotiating point. That is if the car is on a Jag lot.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree, much of what is listed isn't all that tough to DIY, and I'm totally surprised a Jag dealer who supposedly knows the car did not suggest anything about the tensioners.

Some of those prices are ridiculous anyway. 91 bucks to replace turn signal bulbs? Six bills for some radiator hoses? Either learn to do this kind of thing yourself or find an independent shop with lots of Jag experience to do it all together with a major repair.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by daddyo007
I agree with test point, that any one worth their salt and having the gumption to tackle it most of what you have described can be done by yourself. You just have to get past the fear factor. Its still a car.
I'll tackle most anything. They way I look at it is, if I can see it and get around it I can fix it.

Besides if you need help we are all here to offer guidance, laughter, and support, and the occasional ribbing.

How much are they asking for this convertable out the door minus the repairs?

If the dealer has this car you may beable to negotiate all of this with the sale, The value of the car plus the repairs vs. this car sitting on their lot another day could be a good negotiating point. That is if the car is on a Jag lot.
Comes out to $12700 for the car with all the stuff done out the door.(the mechanicals done). Im CEO of a company and an MBA student, I don't have the time to mess around with it myself.

All in all, a fair shake for an extra toy. Lot of car for the money I think. The car overall is in 9 out of 10 condition otherwise than listed. (few rock chips, etc).

Ive decided to buy it, knowing it wont be the end of maintenance. HAS to be better than the Ferrari and the boat I just sold....Plus you get the Vert...

Oh, and I was wrong the car is a 1999 with 64,000mi, and is a private seller. I just had the local dealer do a run through on it.

I appreciate all the feedback. VERY useful to me so thank you all!

Attached Thumbnails PPI Results-img_0445.jpg  

Last edited by mambodave; 03-10-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
I agree, much of what is listed isn't all that tough to DIY, and I'm totally surprised a Jag dealer who supposedly knows the car did not suggest anything about the tensioners.

Some of those prices are ridiculous anyway. 91 bucks to replace turn signal bulbs? Six bills for some radiator hoses? Either learn to do this kind of thing yourself or find an independent shop with lots of Jag experience to do it all together with a major repair.
Tensioners addressed already. I only listed the items that need attention. Compression Test, tensioners, transmission, suspension all checked out. (with exception to the leaking shock. The top actuators were also replaced.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "mechanic" figures your a fool. $180 to change brake fluid?
The list overall is absurd in perspective.
You can be 100% certain that during the $180 brake fluid change he will announce your brake lines, rotors and pads are bad.
As he goes through your car, he will add dozens to many hundreds of dollars of discovered other matters.

The estimate is him recognizing you have no time, probably little knowledge and enough money to give him a few thousand believing then your car won't break down. It doesn't work like that.
It is so bad a list (and prices) I'd speculate he'd mess up parts of the car to insure you have to come back regularly.

Last edited by dfwx; 03-10-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The list of absurdities is long... $75 for wiper blades? Power steering fluid change $175? (but no transmission fluid change?)

How will you possibly know if he changed the power steering or brake fluid? In addition to absurd prices (and absurd list), he's not going to do it anyway. Just charge you for it - telling you more "must do" he discovers.

Having heard certainly over 1000 repair shop cases, I can tell you this is NOT a top-professional charging top prices. This is someone who operates on the PT Barnum theory - "there's a sucker born every minute."

Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

No need to address the new guy a fool. But to enlighten him to be a savvy car owner and to get a second opinion and price would have been a better tact to take.

As far as being a CEO and an MBA student well cudos to you. But you better wrap your brain around the idea that this car with this mileage is still an 11 year old car and @#$% will happen. You would be wise to check out Gus's page on the convertible top for starters.

Like I said earlier a little ribbing is included free of charge.

http://www.gusglikas.com/autorepair.htm

Last edited by daddyo007; 03-11-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Mr. Trump, I presume?

Originally Posted by daddyo007

As far as being a CEO and an MBA student well cudos to you...

http://www.gusglikas.com/autorepair.htm
Yeah, I saw that too and I'm waving the bull$hit flag there. Either it's a throwaway line designed to impress us or it's true and the company over which he executes decisions is tiny (think: selling stuff on eBay). In any event, most actual CEOs of any consequence don't have a lot of time to be farting around here with us car geeks.

No need for the 'how big is yours?' contest. We'd all still hate to see you get screwed if the car turns out to be a dud.