XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventative Time or Wait to Fail ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Preventative Time or Wait to Fail ?

Hey Guys,

My 2006 XK8 is coming up on 100k miles. The car has been loyal to me for the past 5.5 years and has yet to fail.

I change oil regularly. I have replaced most of the hoses. I have replaced the air intake (plastic pipe). I have replaced the thermostat. Transmission was replaced at 55k miles.

Car runs great.

I have a trustworthy mechanic.

Should I take the car in and get some preventative work done? If so what should I have done?

Or do I just wait for something to wrong?

Thanks

Dave

Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Sounds like a solid car. I'd consider changing the transmission fluid.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ok so I don't own an XKR unfortunately, but my Audi A6 is getting close to 110k miles now and 7 years old.

Probably like you I routinely take good care of her with regular servicing and bigger ticket items as they come up

Brakes all done recently and tyres all good, intank lift pump and high pressure tandem pump replaced, fuel filter done and lines cleaned around a year ago.

Recently had an interim oil change but a service coming up to include, oil & filter change, transmission fluid change, air, cabin and fuel filter too.

Again & probably like you I'm taking care of the other issues as and when they appear so they don't build up.
Was advised today of a broken rear coil spring, the drivers door switchpack and top hinge to be replaced, so a hefty enough bill.

In summary Dave, take care of the basics and go over everything else in a checklist fashion to be as sure as you can be.

Lets face it, you didn't get to 100k miles fairly trouble free by not doing any of the above.

Best

Jim

Old 11-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

o2manyfish,
Obviously, you have a convertible, so if you haven't replaced the hydraulic hoses of the top, it's a "green shower" waiting to happen. My 2002 XKR just passed 130,000K and running very well. Tirefriar and I are also in Encino, and we try and get together on a semi-regular basis, and Seismicguy is also in the Valley. Come join us sometime.

Also, what happened that your transmission had to be replaced at 55K miles?

Finally, any relation to Steve Botwin?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Tberg,

Yes it is a convert. The hoses were replaced before I bought the car in July of 08.

The tranny was replaced when I hit a rock (about the size of a golfball) with the front right tire, it popped the rock against the center of the car and took out the oil pan, tranny, pan, cross members, muffler and exhaust pipe. The transmission fluid drained and by the time the tranny fault light came on the transmission had destroyed itself.

24K in repairs. Got a new transmission.

Would love to meet up with you guys sometimes. Let me know when.

Dave

Old 11-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

o2manyfish,
That must've been some kind of rock. I had something similar happen a couple of months ago where I ran over a truck's drive shaft that fell off a truck on the 101, had no time to do anything but try and center it between the tires so I didn't lose them as well. It punched a hole in the steering rack. The car behind me which hit me fairly hard in the rear (although I could only find a microscopic 1/16" scratch on my rear bumper), ran over it and destroyed the front tires that the driver had just put on the car that afternoon. Her front end was also pretty smashed up.

I am going racing up at Buttonwillow, this weekend, but I'll get in touch with George (Tirefriar) when I get back and maybe we can get together after Thanksgiving.
Ted

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Tberg,

Yes it is a convert. The hoses were replaced before I bought the car in July of 08.

The tranny was replaced when I hit a rock (about the size of a golfball) with the front right tire, it popped the rock against the center of the car and took out the oil pan, tranny, pan, cross members, muffler and exhaust pipe. The transmission fluid drained and by the time the tranny fault light came on the transmission had destroyed itself.

24K in repairs. Got a new transmission.

Dave
Wow!! 24K. How much of that was the transmission. How much does it cost to replace the transmission?

Jack