XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems pairing garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Problems pairing garage door opener

I am having trouble pairing my garage door opener in my 01, I am pressing the middle and left button, while pressing the garage door opener button and pointing it at my opener in the car and it will not work. The lights blicks slow, but never rapidily as sdescribed in my owners manual.
Anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I just did this the other day. First, you hold the two OUTER buttons until the light comes on steady. Then you simultaneously press the button you want to program and the button on your garage door opener. The garage door opener must be near the center console thingy because the garage door opener in the car is reading the code from the the opener that came with your garage door. Then, you have to go to the actual opener in your garage and press the "learn" button. Then go back to the car and press the button you just programmed. Then press the "learn" button, then the button in the car... Back and forth two or three times.

That's assuming your garage door opened uses a rolling code. if it doesn't, then I think you just hold the two outer buttons until the LED comes in steady, then press the button you want to program while simultaneously pressing the button on the garage door remote.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Duplicate post...

Old 10-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

wow, thats a very long, convoluted process...I think its much simpler than that.

(1) if you want to clear all of the buttons, press and hold the outer two buttons until it blinks. If not, proceed to (2)

(2) take your opener you want to program to the car, hold it near the homelink unit, press and hold the car's button, it will start to blink. Press and hold your garage door opener. When the homelink changes from a slow blink to a fast blink, release both buttons. Test the newly programmed button, and if successful, done.

(3) for additional remotes/codes for the other buttons, just repeat step too, hold buttons, wait for blink to change to fast, and viola.

I just did this the other day also.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

That works IF your garage door opener doesn't use rolling codes. Mine does, so you have to teach the Homelink unit the rolling codes. That's why I had to go back and forth several times. I'm not sure what kind of garage door opener the OP has, but I thought maybe he has the same kind as me.

But... I did notice that he said he was pushing the left and middle buttons. I don't think that will work.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealt with this too

I had the same problem with my 99, just wouldn't grab the clicker code. Same thing, get to the point that it should, slow flash forever then nothing. Try various positions of the clicker to the console where the homelink lives, I finally got mine after countless tries, I was sucessful holding the clicker ontop of the header, just over the edge of the windshield. It also helps if you insure the clicker has fresh batteries. Crippled hands are highly probable, I held those stupid buttons over and over, but take heart! It will catch if you get it just right

Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube about it. I didn't see one specific to Jaguar, but this one for Land Rover may help...

Homelink on a Range Rover - YouTube

Old 10-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The 2001 should have the rolling code GDO (yellow LED in the overhead console).
If the LED is RED then it is NOT a rolling code compatible GDO. I believe the 1999MY was the introduction year for the rolling code GDO (yellow LED). Some early cars were retrofitted with the later overhead consoles. The lucky ones were the convertibles with the leaking top latch hoses and Jaguar replaced the interior trim parts along with the overhead console and 'J'gate illumination module etc. You can get a salvage yard overhead console from a 1999MY or 2000MY onward to replace the non rolling code GDO.

The rubber buttons are of different lengths between the rolling and non rolling code GDOs so I was never successful in just replacing the GDO module in the overhead console.

I don't have TSB 419-05 in .pdf but I copied it to a Word .doc

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: doc
419-05 GDO.doc (504.5 KB, 221 views)
Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a '98 early model (bought 10/97) and it came equipped with the amber rolling code version. Over the years the middle button lost it's ability to learn but the other two, which is all I need, both operate rolling code openers.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I've tried every variation of button-pushing and aiming the remote I can think of and nothing has worked. Incidentally, my '06 seems to only have red LED's. I finally gave up.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts
Default Never did get a Fast Flash!!

Originally Posted by Gator8
I've tried every variation of button-pushing and aiming the remote I can think of and nothing has worked. Incidentally, my '06 seems to only have red LED's. I finally gave up.
I have 1 Non-Rolling Code Door and 1 Rolling Code Door.

The Home Link in the XKR picked up (Fast Flash) the non-rolling code almost instantly.

However, the Home Link NEVER indicated that it picked up the rolling code signal (Fast Flash never came on), even after holding the remote energized near the Home Link for 45 Seconds..

HOWEVER, It actually DID pick up the Rolling Code after a number of attempts (but NEVER had a Fast Flash). Then, after Pressing the Button, the Garage Door mechanism indicated that the signal was received from the Home Link.

My Garage Door Mechanism with the Rolling Code has to be put into the "Learn Mode" (or was it "Test Mode"?) to be able to indicate that the Signal was being picked up from the Home Link.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Just did my new 02 XKR this weekend. Same experience here as the Reverend in post #2, which is also what is in the manual. Both my garage door openers and gate opener are rolling code.

Buttons wouldn't learn on my first try.

I reset it by holding the two outer buttons for 20 seconds until the (yellow) light flashed.

There are two phases for rolling code openers - Homelink talks to the remote, and Homelink talks to the door opener.

Simultaneously press Homelink and garage door remote buttons. Homelink light starts to flash faster.

Release both buttons. Go press learn button on garage door motor.

Quickly go back and hold down the Homelink button again while it talks to the door motor.

Release button and push again. Garage door should activate.

HTH,

Jack

Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

When working with a rolling code GDO, it is helpful to understand that there are two phases:

1. cloning the handheld GDO remote

2. linking the new "virtual" GDO remote(homelink)

That is why it is a multi-step process involving the learn button on the motor unit. It is what accomplishes #2 above.

It is also wise to use a fresh battery in the handheld. This is because the homelink units not only mimic the signal seen coming from the handheld, but also the signal strength.

Then there is the problem of the heated windshield if you have one. The fine wires in the windshield act as a really nice faraday cage exactly where you do not need one. This will severely limit the range.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

I gave up as well. The Homelink folks just kept telling me to go to their website for answers. Anyone have any thoughts on a universal receiver kit add-on?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Homelink Remote - suggestion

Originally Posted by Jag#4
I gave up as well. The Homelink folks just kept telling me to go to their website for answers. Anyone have any thoughts on a universal receiver kit add-on?
Hi - I am new to this forum and a new Jaguar owner - 2005 "S-Type R"

I had issues with programming my garage door also - read many of these posts and tried multiple options.

This is what worked for me ==> I have three buttons on my remote opener and one of them was programmed to operate the head. All previous attempts I was using the same remote button to train the Jaguar system - and it would accept the programming. When I attempted to have the garage door opener learn the Jaguar signal - it would fail.

I had a brainstorm - maybe I should use one of the other two buttons on the remote to teach the Jaguar system. It learned it the first try and then the Garage door head recognized it first try.

So if you are having problems - try one of the alternate buttons on your remote and see if it works.

TonyP - Lawrenceville, GA

Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Just did it today on my MY99. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE MANUAL TO A "T". I wasted 6 month of my time not following the specifics. I did 3 cars today at our new house and everyone was the same process (all Homelink, Nissan, Ford, Jaguar). You need to do the remote process first then the learning mode. Trust me, it works.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

The fix for me was replacing the garage door opener itself. Not planned, but glad I did. It is a much quieter units, using belt drive vs. chain. A bonus is that the Homelink on the Jag programmed first time with no issues.

After two Jags and an Audi not working, it turns out my garage unit was the real problem. Too old I guess.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Following Instructions in Land Rover YouTube Vid

Follow the YouTube video for 2011 Land Rover posted by Skid Mark - it worked on my 01 and 06 XKs for the rolling code GDO. I did both in 30 seconds.

The following users liked this post:
johns427 (10-11-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

After moving into a new home with, of course, brand new openers, I could not program the doors to my 98 XK8 or the 05 BMW while the 14 Highlander was no problem. The garage door guy came over with a device to accommodate older cars. Apparently there are new frequencies or formats being used in some of the newer garage door openers. In this case the openers are Liftmasters (aka Chamberlain, Sears).
The device itself is about the size of a deck of cards and plugs directly into a nearby outlet (we used the same outlet as the opener). It comes with a remote too. Using that remote the Jag and BMW paired with no problem. The single device will work for multiple doors which is fortunate since we have two.
So, if you're having trouble pairing and you have a new opener the problem may not be in the car.

Old 08-05-2021, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was facing almost the same garage door opener problem and I tried all shared your tips and it worked for me.

Quick Reply: Problems pairing garage door opener