XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems- window,coolent low, dashboard lights out

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems- window,coolent low, dashboard lights out

hello to everyone. been reading the threads on this forum for a couple of days and now decided to join as i see that there are many helpful guys here, so i hope you can help me with a couple of problems with my recent purchase of a 1999 XK8 coupe.

1. drivers door window - goes down when you open the door but then goes up too much when you release the handle thus causing the glass to go over the rubber when you close the door. happened before (when the battery was disconnected) and i got away with doing the reset (window down until 'click' then window up until 'click') but this does not seem to be working now and the battery has not been disconnected since the first time. any other methods of sorting this out?

2. 'coolent low' message in display - first two times this message appeared, it only took, at the most, about half a glass of water, however the third time this happened, it took about a litre of water. these three occassions happened in the space of about 2 weeks. have i got a leak somewhere, and if so, where is the best place to start looking?

3. when the engine is at running tempreture (i.e temp needle in the middle of the gauge) there seems to be a strange smell, and i can only discribe this smell as smell of 'boiling water'. this smell was evident before the 'coolent low' message started to appear. could this be connected to item 2?

4. finally, the dashbaord lights seem to go out and come back on by themselves (when headlights are on, night time driving). the first time this happened, i was indicating to turn and noticed that when i fiddled with the indicator stalk, the dashbaord lights 'flickered', so a bit more fiddling and lights came back on. but the last time this happened, the headlights went out as well and no amount of fiddling could bring them back on, but since i had reached my destination, i parked up. when i returned about 20 mins later, all working fine.

any/all suggestions for the above problems would be most appreciated. by the way, what an awesome car, my first and only Jag and well proud of it!!! now a member of the elite!!! [sm=shades.gif]

Old 01-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: problems- window,coolent low, dashboard lights out

Perhaps Admin can move this to tech help for everyones benifit as this is common problem.

1. Window dropping and moving back up when handle released with door open. Start vehicle and open the drivers door - does it say drivers door open on message center? If not, the drivers door latch is bad. Replace it and will be fine. It is tricky to replace due to the fact window channel needs to come out.

2. I would say if you went from half a glass to over a litre (not sure but is that like 1/4 gallon?) Then you have a leak. You need to pressure test it and find the leak and repair. Do not let that nicasil block overheat. If you see temp gauge go into hot zone, shut off car IMMEDIATELY and get it towed. You are proud of your new car.....prevention is better than the cure. You don't want to cook the motor.

3. Yes....coolant smell burning. Related to #2

4. Turn signal switch is probably bad. Common problem with 97-02 XK8. The updated switch doesnt seem to go bad. I think about $130.00 or so for part and maybe an hour for install. Don't quote me on that though.

Hope this helps and [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 01-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  6.4 KB

First of all welcome to our site Mr T and so glad you enjoy it and your Jag.
post up some pics when you get the chance and show her off a little.......we all do...lol

F J T..........Thanks for your help.

* Moved to General tech help forum *

Jim

Old 01-13-2008, 02:35 PM

many thanks to FJT for prompt reply.

i'm probably going to have a go at sorting the window problem out myself, i'm not an expert but can do most work myself. could you please clarify which 'latch' i should be looking at changing, i've read somewhere that there is a microswitch on the inside of the door handle, is this the 'latch'? or is it something else, and where can i find it? would you happen to haveany photo's of it in place (just so that i know what it looks like and its position). i'll do the indicator stalk as well. any tips on removing/re-fitting the said two items? with regards to the coolant loss, i'm afraid that might be beyond me, so off i go to the mechanic. hope he doesnt double the price when he see's the car! probably do the work in the next week or so, and if it helps other users of this forum, i'll post the results.

JimC64 - thanks, i will post some pics of her, after all, you always want to show off the mistress [sm=smiley4.gif]

best regards

tariq

Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM

OPen the driver door. Look on the back edge and you will see 3 torx30 bolts. They are holding the latch in place. The tricky part of the latch is removing the anti theft bar inside. Supposed to stop people from being able to get into car. You should throw it away once you get it out. Just remember to put the 7mm bolt back in otherwise your outside handle will be loose.
Maybe someone a little more savvy than I could post pics. Also I will post how to on door latch and turn signal switch in a little while.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:13 PM

thanks FJT, will await further info from you.

T

Old 01-13-2008, 03:23 PM

Door Latch (76.37.12)
document.write(languageText("removal")); Removal newStep(0);
stepNum(0); 1 . Turn ignition key to position II.

stepNum(0); 2 . Motor door glass to fully raised position.

stepNum(0); 3 . Turn ignition key to position O.

stepNum(0); 4 . document.write(languageText("warning")); WARNING: BEFORE COMMENCING WORK WITHIN A DOOR INTERIOR, THE GROUND CABLE MUST BE DISCONNECTED FROM THE BATTERY TERMINAL TO PREVENT INADVERTENT ACTIVATION OF THE GLOBAL GLASS CLOSING FEATURE.
Remove battery cover and disconnect ground cable from battery terminal. Refer to 86.15.19

stepNum(0); 5 . Remove door escutcheon. 1) Holding door handle in the open position, remove the escutcheon screw cover. 2) Remove the escutcheon screw, remove escutcheon from door casing and return door handle to closed position.

stepNum(0); 6 . Remove trim mat from rear of door pocket and remove the screw.

stepNum(0); 7 . Position door switch pack for access. 1) Using a suitable plasrtic hook, release plastic stud and remove trim from front of door pocket. 2) Remove switch pack to door casing screw and position switch pack for access.

stepNum(0); 8 . Remove casing to door bracket screw.

stepNum(0); 9 . Remove door casing for access to multiplugs. 1) Release the eight casing to door studs. 2) Position the casing for access and disconnect the door switch pack and puddle lamp connectors.

stepNum(0); 10 . Remove door casing from vehicle and detach switch pack.

stepNum(0); 11 . Remove door water shedder. Refer to 76.58.07.

stepNum(0); 12 . Remove the door glass rear runner lower screws.

stepNum(0); 13 . Reposition door glass rear runner. Mark the position of the glass rear runner upper screw. Remove the upper screw and move the runner away from the glass.

stepNum(0); 14 . Where fitted, remove door lock security shield . Remove bolt securing lock barrel operating rod security shield. Release shield from spring clip at rear and remove shield from door.

stepNum(0); 15 . Disconnect door handle and lock barrel (driver door only) operating rods from lock links.

stepNum(0); 16 . Remove the three screws and position lock/motor assembly for access.

stepNum(0); 17 . Remove lock motor harness connector from mounting bracket and disconnect connector.

stepNum(0); 18 . Release operating cable from door handle. Move inner door handle to the locked position. Remove cable outer from support bracket. Disconnect cable inner from door inner handle.

stepNum(0); 19 . Remove lock/motor assembly from door.

stepNum(0); 20 . Remove lock/motor assembly cover screw.

stepNum(0); 21 . Releasing upper retaining boss, remove cover from lock/motor assembly.

stepNum(0); 22 . Remove motor to lock screws.

stepNum(0); 23 . Release lock motor from lock operating arm.

stepNum(0); 24 . Remove lock from door.
newStep(0); document.write(languageText("installation")); Installation
stepNum(0); 1 . Connect lock motor to lock operating arm.

stepNum(0); 2 . Install lock motor screws.

stepNum(0); 3 . Install cover. Position cover on lock motor ensuring upper locating boss is correctly located. Install cover screw.

stepNum(0); 4 . Position lock/motor assembly in door.

stepNum(0); 5 . Move inner door handle outwards to the locked position.

stepNum(0); 6 . Connect lock/motor assembly cable to door inner handle. Place lock assembly in door. Connect cable inner to door handle. Install cable outer on support bracket.

stepNum(0); 7 . Connect harness to latch assembly. Working through door aperture, position latch assembly for access. Connect harness connector. Install connector on mounting bracket.

stepNum(0); 8 . Position latch assembly in door and and install screws.

stepNum(0); 9 . Connect door handle and lock barrel (driver door only) operating rods to latch assembly.

stepNum(0); 10 . where fitted, install lock security shield. Install security shield over lock barrel operating rod and locate under spring clip at rear. Install securing bolt.

stepNum(0); 11 . Install glass rear runner. Position rear runner on glass. Install but do not tighten lower screws. Install upper screw. ensure it is aligned with marker then fully tighten. Fully tighten lower screws.

stepNum(0); 12 . Reposition PVC secondary water shedder.

stepNum(0); 13 . Fit door main water shedder. Refer to 76.58.07.

stepNum(0); 14 . Install new securing studs on casing.

stepNum(0); 15 . Position but do not secure switch pack on casing.

stepNum(0); 16 . Position casing at door and connect switch pack and puddle lamp connectors.

stepNum(0); 17 . Align casing to door and press and fully seat securing studs into door locations.

stepNum(0); 18 . Install casing securing screw at front of switch pack location.

stepNum(0); 19 . Align switch pack to casing and install screw at rear.

stepNum(0); 20 . Install trim to front of door pocket and fully seat plastic fastener.

stepNum(0); 21 . Install casing screw at rear of door pocket.

stepNum(0); 22 . Install trim mat at rear of door pocket.

stepNum(0); 23 . Holding door handle in open position, install escutcheon on casing.

stepNum(0); 24 . Install escutcheon screw and fit screw cover.

stepNum(0); 25 . Return door handle to closed position.

stepNum(0); 26 . Connect ground cable to battery terminal and install battery cover. Refer to 86.15.15.Remeber to reprogramme windows once you are done. You MUST disconnect battery before you start to dismantle it. Otherwise the wondow will come down and cut your arm off.

The turn signal switch is a little more complicated. You need to remove the air bag. Also the steering colum cowl and the underscuttle. Also steering wheel gotta come off, then the cassette reel or cancellation module or clockspring, depending on your terminology. If you want further instruction, let me know.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

thanks again FJT. will post and let you know when the work is done.

incidently, i just read one of your other threads about DSC and traction control, you seem to have alot of knowlegde on these cars, how long have you worked with these cars, and where/how did you get acquire so muchknowlegde? i've always enjoyed working with cars, but its always been a hobbie for me.

T

Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM

I have only worked on Jags for 3 1/2 years. But I grew up with them. Always been a passion. If I can help you further please let me know.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 AM

back with the results, and some more questions for FJT.

coolant loss being caused by one hose leaking. this hose isrunning from the thermostate and under the inlet manifold. there are in fact two hose pipes so i changed both since the inlet manifold and throttle body had to be removed. the cost of the hose pipes was 25 (GBP) and 1.5 hours labour. mechanic tells me that these hose pipes are a common failure. this was done a couple of days ago,no more coolant loss as yet.

question for FJT..... as per your recommendation, i have just finished changing the indicator stalk and door latch. will know if the problem with the dashbaord lights has been resolved later tonight when i take the car outin the dark.problem after changing the door latch..... window now lowers and raises with the pull of the door handle, however, the dashbaord display says 'passenger door open' wheninfact its the drivers door. also, the drivers side window switches, the drivers side window switchnow not working but the switch for the passenger window is now operating the drivers windows! (this is from the 'double switches on the drivers side). electric mirrors and central locking now not working. cant see what i could have done wrong sinceall the connections are plug-in/plug-out. any suggestions?

thanks

T

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM

Glad you got the coolant leak done as well as the rest.
The problem you are now having is common and normally resolved by hard reset.
Take key out of ignition with both windows down. Disconnect battery for minimum of 15 minutes.
reconnect battery and programme windows as normal.
If this doesnt work then let me know.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:58 PM

hi there FJT

i was feeling restless after posting my last thread so without waiting for a replyi went and disconnected the battery for about half hour, reconnected it and all working fine now.

one more question for FJT i'm going to flush out the coolant in the next couple of days and replace it with fresh water and antifreeze, i'll obviously needto get all the air out of the system before putting on the reserviour filler cap, so my question is, do i just run the engine without the filler cap until no more bubbles, or is there a 'bleed valve/nipple' somewhere?

truly thankful to FJT for the advice and support. i owe you a pint mate [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

pics still to follow

T

Old 01-27-2008, 01:07 PM

Ok,
If you are using a two part flush (recommended), take off the cap from the reservoir and also the cap from the thermostat housing. Put the flush through the housing. To drain it, there is a petcock on the lower right side of radiator.
After flush is all done, and you have thoroughly rinsed through with cold water from hose. I advise replacing thermostat. You are already there and it is cheap insurance.

After you fill up the cooling system again, put on thermostat housing cap, start engine with the heater on high and bring up to about 3000 rpm. Hold it there until the temp gauge starts to move. Top off coolant at reservoir, replace cap securely and then sit in vehicle and bring RPM up again to 3000. Hold it there until you are getting hot air out and temp is to operating temperature. Shut off vehicle and let it cool. Remove cap from reservoir, top it off and go for a drive. Try and get out to freeway speeds as this will allow coolant to fully circulate. Shut off car again, let it cool and check level again.

Then you are done.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 PM

ok FJT, will do.

thanks

tariq

Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Default Door Switch & Looking for part numbers

Mr T of FJT,

I have the same problem with my window and door switch. I have a 2003 XK8 convertible. I need to order the new switch. Do either of you happen to know the part number and/or the best place to buy it? Any idea how much it costs?

Also, I have ordered the manual online but it hasn't arrived yet. Do you know if the manual is a good place to get the part numbers when I need to order something? If not, do you know where I can go to identify part numbers?

Thanks in advance. I have been checking out several of the posts before joining and I have found it very helpful. I was able to work on my convertible top without taking it in for service. It is always satisfying when you can do it yourself.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

resurrecting a very dead thread SC guy! lol

I tried to find the part number, and could not. sorry. Just call your nearest dealer and get a price on one. You don't need the part number to do that in this case. Its an easy item to identify. good luck.