XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purple Treadplates....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Purple Treadplates....

I've scratched the tread-plate (and insert) on the drivers side of my '03 XKR. I've already got a replacement insert, but am having some problems finding the actual tread-plate.

The ones on my car (which I believe are original) are definitely tinted in a purple color (which looks pretty good against the black carpets, and seems to match a similar tint in the seat belts).

All the other cars I've looked at seem to have an aluminum (Silver) finish. I can also only find a single part number ( HXD6060AB ) for the LH Tread-plate; Rimmer were pretty non-committal when I asked what the color of this was, but did indicate others had returned them because they didn't match.

Anyone know if this was standard, and if there's a different part number?

Thanks
Steve

PS. Note to others: If removing the seats, put a blanket over the door sill first!

Old 10-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Steve
There was never any tread plates that were tinted purple from the factory, The standard color is silver. I know of no mention of any other color through the run in any of the factory information.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by RCSign
Steve
There was never any tread plates that were tinted purple from the factory, The standard color is silver. I know of no mention of any other color through the run in any of the factory information.
Thanks. After looking at a few cars yesterday, I had begun to wonder whether someone had anodized these. The effect is subtle, but does look good. I think I'll live with my scratches (which, in reality, won't be that bad once I've replaced the insert)

-Steve

Old 04-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by RCSign
Steve
Update on this - as I'm still searching. But I found this on e-bay, which definitely seems to show another car with purple tread plates.

2004 Jaguar XK8 XKR Left Chrome Door Sill Plate | eBay

So I decided to take another look at the parts list, and find that there are two different sets of part numbers listed (not sure how I missed this last time I checked)

HXD6061BA / HXD6060BA XKR100, LH & RH
HJA6061AB / HJA6061AB Except XKR 100, LH & RH

Original Pricing shown for the HXD6061xBA in the parts list is double that for the HJA6061xBA, so I'm guessing that's the purple ones (!) - though the parts list description doesn't mention any difference.

-Steve

Last edited by thefixer; 04-28-2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Found different part numbers
Old 04-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

If that is the part number for the insert it would be different as the XKR100 has "XKR100" script. Still in silver.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by MarcB
If that is the part number for the insert it would be different as the XKR100 has "XKR100" script. Still in silver.
No - I think these are all part numbers for the actual tread plates (also called sill plates), not the inserts. I've attached a page from the parts catalog that shows these four different part numbers,

Regards

Steve

Attached Thumbnails Purple Treadplates....-treadplates.gif  
Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

There are a lot of misrepresented colors in product description photos on ebay. To be a seller on ebay you don't need to know how to color correct an exposure. I think the purple tint you're seeing is unintended color error by the vendor. Black is not easy to get right photographically - especially on ebay. Check out what a sun faded black cloth interior looks like (purple?). I doubt the sills are sun faded but I think some pixels got confused during the photo session.
RB

Last edited by East Haddam; 04-29-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member

Steve
They do look like they have been anodized, it even looks like the anodization is worn off the top of the sill. We anodize extruded aluminum sign cabinets for painting and it changes the aluminum to a purple color similar to the pictured sill. I have read most of the books about the XK-8'S & XKR's and have never seen a reference to colored anodized sill plates, but who's to say that they didn't.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Slightly off topic but has anyone ever tried polishing the sill plates?

Wondering if that can be done.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Aluminum can be polished it's a tedious process. I have hand polished some aluminum parts and it's time consuming.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve:

Any chance that the purple might be from a protective film that someone forgot to take off?

I see a lot of things with this sort of film (usually more of a blue tint but sometimes purple) that people don't realize is supposed to be removed after unpacking the product after shipping.

Just a thought....

Mark

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rocky125
Steve:

Any chance that the purple might be from a protective film that someone forgot to take off?

I see a lot of things with this sort of film (usually more of a blue tint but sometimes purple) that people don't realize is supposed to be removed after unpacking the product after shipping.

Just a thought....

Mark
I'd thought that might be the case, and I know what you mean - that thin sheet of blue plastic protector you often get on new parts.

However, I'm pretty certain that's not the case. I think it's anodized, but from the factory. The guy on ebay (link a few posts back) has sent me a few more photos, and it definitely has the same purple tint as my car. I also think that where I scratched it that would have loosened any protective film.

I've attached a photo of my car; note that the seat belts seem to match as well (in a JCNA concors I was marked down as they felt my belts had faded, but they seem to be that color the entire length, so I think it's original)

-Steve

PS I did think of replacing both treadplates with a regular 'silver' color, but I think the purple looks great - so I'm trying to find a replacement

Attached Thumbnails Purple Treadplates....-img_2436%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I noticed this in the "wow" thread. Looks purple here too.

Though why the purple is in the green/cashmere car I will never understand.

Attached Thumbnails Purple Treadplates....-240213dsc02208copie.jpg  
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by rothwell
I noticed this in the "wow" thread. Looks purple here too.

Though why the purple is in the green/cashmere car I will never understand.
Thanks! I was beginning to think I was color blind! I have to agree that I think they look a lot better with a dark interior.

Just wish I had dragged the seat across mine - I cussed at the time, but hadn't realized the challenge of finding a replacement.

-Steve

Old 09-27-2014, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the dark tread plate in a black 2005 XKR at concours. I think it is original for special models with dark paint. I know this owner takes great care to maintain a car that always places very high, so nothing non authentic would be added.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I just found a website that noted the dark tread plate for the XKR100 cost $136.12. If you still need one, maybe they still have them:
www.terrysjag.com

Old 09-28-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bobcat
Funny, I just found a website that noted the dark tread plate for the XKR100 cost $136.12. If you still need one, maybe they still have them:
www.terrysjag.com
Thanks! I assume you saw these TREADPLATE - Terrys Jaguar Parts - HXD6061BA (Part # HXD6061BA)

From the description it says they are black (not purple), but I will drop them an email - they seem to have an incredible number of different treadplates, and it's the first 'offiical' sign of seen of anything other than the regular anodized silver. I do still need a left plate; I'd have been a LOT more careful when I next have to remove the drivers seat if I'd have known how difficult it was going to be to find a replacement!

-Steve

Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat
www.terrysjag.com
Thanks - that was it. It took me a couple of years, as Terry's (and Jaguar) listed them as black, so I didn't do anything, but that scratched plate was really annoying me (and I got dinged for it a couple of times in concors), so I asked Terry's to check the color last week - they said it looked kind of purple.

Received it yesterday, and fitted to the car - perfect match, and definitely purple in color. I've also discovered that these 'black' (purple) treadplates were part of the 'R-Performance" Option fitted to XKR's. They should have stainless inserts with the text "Jaguar R" (note, NOT "Jaguar XKR")

Here's the part numbers (left and right) for anyone else who is looking:

HXD6061BA
HXD6060BA

Nice to close this out after two years.....

-Steve