Sponsored by:

Quaife qdf5w lsd differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Quaife qdf5w lsd differential

MY IMPRESSION AFTER INSTALLATION:

after installing the polyurethane rubbers in the back by completing the complete replacement of the same and you install the limited slip differential, I write my impressions below.

The car has a much more stable behavior with these tires, and the curved face without feeling frantic reactions, as it did before.
In a straight line at high speeds the car feels much more "planted" on the ground and the steering, although very reactive, is firm and solid instilling some confidence.

The standard electronic suspension system (CATS) seem to work better and feel a greater responsiveness on corners where, thanks to a reduced flexibility of the whole, the car maintains the trajectory set to embark less.
Everything works very well without sacrificing comfort.
Only the sudden bumps or potholes, it feels a blow drier than before. But of course you can not have everything!

However, the level of satisfaction after this installation is 9/10 and therefore, for my needs, very positive. But we come to treat technique: the Torsen differential.The driving of the car after installing the Torsen has changed more prominently.
The tight curves on different road clash with ¼ turning less and, even more evident, the exit of Turn the steering is realigned! One of the things that left me surprised at this car (which has the standard detachable wheels BBS 20 ") is that out of the corners, while accelerating, not riallineava.

I had already had an XKR (but with 18 "wheels and tires with higher shoulder) and did not suffer from this defect.Now, pushing out of the corners in the wheel with more grip, ie the external, probably helps the steering to realign the trajectory and driving enjoyment all offers incredible.

The car then, in other situations, seems to have undergone an upgrade of 40 HP! Accelerates and resumes with greater force and not the car never breaks down unless you overdo it too much and send in crisis both tires 285/30.Li, with a slight delay, enter the controls to put all right but the margins are up and the situation is much more "racing".

Under braking, then, the improvements are obvious. I have yet to understand what makes the self-locking of differential release but, in addition to brake better (and I think this depends exclusively on the new pads that do not change the geometry of buoyancy) the rear of the car remains straight and composed, as if issuing the differential locks and helps to maintain the trajectory.
Finally deceleration without braking, engine braking is felt. With the automatic transmission is usually not the case but now even that seems to give little help.This differential has been a revelation and, compared to a complex task of centering and tolerances, now the car goes very much better than before in all situations. 10 and praise to the torsen!

I also bought the cams to adjust the front camber so we did a job of trim that is accurate even if it still does not satisfy me.The values of the house give the front toe +1.0 but I do not like. At speed it lightens the front and does not give security.Moreover, where each ball is connected to the steering gear are after the central axis of the front wheel, that is towards the rear of the car and if my information is accurate, with a provision like this, the front toe should be - 1.0 instead of + 1.0! In these days I'll come back and put the tire - 0.5 to see how it behaves.
Many thanks to : Martin Slade ( Racing Green Cars ) for his tech support and to Quaife.

Last edited by Norri; 06-19-2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Readability
Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

It is very hard to read for me without any formatting, its one big block of black and grey.

Regarding the front toe, Jaguar provides + 0.25° decimal as standard, with a tolerance of + or - of 0.17 degrees. Where did you got the +1.00 from? Can't help with suggesting different settings though, haven't played with that.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

you have an private e-mail about my impressium of Quaife. now i have - 0.3 front toe, and the car is perfect. Official jaguar deler ( SEA Auto, Rome ) told me +1!

Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with the mail, there was also no formatting, so haven't been able to read all ;-). Am somewhat dyslectic, maybe it is easy for others to read, just not for me.

The jaguar documents states +0.25 decimal, so don’t understand why that dealer said than +1.00.

Is the -0.3 decimal or degrees?

Last edited by avos; 06-20-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: must have read +0.25
Old 06-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

What brand of bushings did you use?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

With out brake standing, will your car lay out two black strips of rubber?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
what brand of bushings did you use?
powerflex

Old 06-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
I have the same problem with the mail, there was also no formatting, so haven't been able to read all ;-). Am somewhat dyslectic, maybe it is easy for others to read, just not for me.

The jaguar documents states +0.25 decimal, so don’t understand why that dealer said than +1.00.

Is the -0.3 decimal or degrees?
-0.3 are decimal

Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks.

With our ancient tracktion control (though admit that I don't drive without), taking 1/4 turns could be life threateming when it kicks in, I can remember the traction control pulling power by 0.5 to 1 second (bit scary when traffic is comming).

The torsen LSD certainly helps already there, although the clutch type I have now is even way better. This one allows me to actually pull hard thru the this type of corner, and I can slide a little even ;-).

Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, been lurking and learning from all members....THANKS !
I have both a 2000 and 2002 XJR (BRG). Seriously considering installing a Quaife LSD QDF5W. I would very much appreaciate a wrenchers experience installing this unit. Specifically, if new shims and crush spacer are required to be on hand when installing the Quaife into Stock X308 diff.
Thanks, Victor.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by avos
The torsen LSD certainly helps already there, although the clutch type I have now is even way better. This one allows me to actually pull hard thru the this type of corner, and I can slide a little even ;-).
That's good to know. I've been pushing my traction control hard the last few weeks just so I'll have a better feel for the OS Giken when it's installed.

I thought I would like the Quaife better, but after reading numerous reviews, I'm certain the OS Giken is more suited to my spirited driving. It also appears to be a much more highly regarded part in comparison, so the extra bucks spent on it should be worth it.

I can't wait to get it.