XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions from a new member and owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 10:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions from a new member and owner

I am sure if I did a search I could find the answers but I am trying to get my 10 posts in. These questions are in no particular order of importance.

1. I really like the wood dash, however the gearshift knob is much lighter shade of wood and I want to replace it. I found a replacement on ebay. Does the knob just unscrew? I don't want to force it off and break the lever or something like that

2. I have the stock 5 spoke OEM wheels but in chrome. On at least one of the wheels the chrome is shot and not sure why it's still on the wheel. Is there a name out there for this wheel or is it just called the 5 spoke OEM wheel? I have found some used chrome wheels on ebay. I have no interest in finding another 17" style of wheel or going larger.

3 I have what I believe is the Harman Kardon stereo. there are two speakers one on each side near the mirrors, triangle in shape with the H K logo on the speakers. The radio just has he word "Jaguar" on the face plate. The car was missing the owners and the sound system manuals which I have on order. It also has the six disc CD player in he trunk but I know that could be ordered separately with the standard stereo. Which radio do I have?

4. What is "Sport mode"? Does this allow you to use the select ship function or something else?

5. I also own a MG and Moss Motors has a great deal of parts available for the MG, Triumph, Austin Healy but not the Jaguar. Is there any company out there that has a catalog available, not the on line type for the XK8?

More questions later!

I have watched the Jaguar new owners video and have gotten much information by watching that.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Saw your post in the photo sticky, great looking car. I love the Alpine Green.

As for your questions:

1 - it just screws off

2 - they are called Revolvers and chrome was not factory, very common for dealers to chrome the wheels and sell as an add on.

3 - Someone else with more knowledge will answer this

4 - Sport changes the shift point to allow the transmission to make the car feel like it has more power

5 - SNG Barrett is our sponsor and has a great parts catalog free for the asking. As for aftermarket accessories it's hit and miss but there are several good companies but none that I know of with a print catalog.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with a great car.

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-10-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 01:40 PM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by bar20
I am sure if I did a search I could find the answers but I am trying to get my 10 posts in. ......
YES - you could find the answers.

You don't have to get 10 posts. It's the minimum for full forum membership but there's no time limit or even requirement to do this.

Graham

Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

"Which radio do I have?"

It sounds like you have the exact same sound system I have, which I believe it considered the premium package.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Interesting how the video didn't discuss the exterior lighting...like the rear fog lights...

Old 04-10-2015, 07:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

10 posts that is all you need.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey, congrats on your jag. I have a shift knob from a 2000 xkr, brown I will give to you for free if it meets your color desires. If you know how to post a picture of yours, I can tell you if mine is darker than the one you have. just let me know.

frank in fl

ok, I just looked at yours in your profile pics and mine is probably a little darker than that one. i'll dig the one I have out and let you know.

Last edited by stetson1; 04-11-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Saw your post in the photo sticky, great looking car. I love the Alpine Green.

As for your questions:

1 - it just screws off

2 - they are called Revolvers and chrome was not factory, very common for dealers to chrome the wheels and sell as an add on.

3 - Someone else with more knowledge will answer this

4 - Sport changes the shift point to allow the transmission to make the car feel like it has more power

5 - SNG Barrett is our sponsor and has a great parts catalog free for the asking. As for aftermarket accessories it's hit and miss but there are several good companies but none that I know of with a print catalog.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with a great car.

The chrome wheels were a $1000 factory option. If they were not installed at the factory then my guess is it was done at POE. I can't see Jaguar trusting a dealer to get a quality finish on the wheel for possible warranty work on them down the road.