XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio info and adding Aux

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Radio info and adding Aux

I've searched through many posts about this topic before, but am having some trouble shifting through all the info to get the definitive answer for my car.

I have a 1999 XK8 with the stock, base radio. No amp. No CD changer. I want to add an AUX-IN. How do I do it?

I see lots of info...even plug'n'play solutions for cars with CD changers. I also see lots of references to AI-Net, PIE, M-something-or-other, etc...but am not smart enough to decipher the meaning of it ball. I also see cryptic allusions to things that make me think that there were two different generations/makes of radios in these cars? If this is the case, how do I figure out what I have?

Last edited by JonLee; 12-27-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 PM

To add a little clarification...I really am looking for details. What specific parts should I buy (from which vendor), etc.?
I'm looking for something as simple as possible. I'd rather not have to have additional displays/controls cluttering the interior. Just an aux-in jack located somewhere discreet.

Last edited by JonLee; 12-27-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by JonLee
I've searched through many posts about this topic before, but am having some trouble shifting through all the info to get the definitive answer for my car.
I have a 1999 XK8 with the stock, base radio. No amp. No CD changer. I want to add an AUX-IN. How do I do it?

I see lots of info...even plug'n'play solutions for cara with CD changers. I also see lots of references to AI-Net, PIE, etc...but am not smart enough to decipher the meaning of it ball. I also see cryptic allusions to things that make me think that there were two different generations/makes of radios in these cars? If this is the case, how do I figure out what I have?

Without a CD changer or amp, you will need to get hold of a used Alpine KCA-410C to do a aux-in. They are often available on ebay: Alpine KCA 410C AI Net Versatile Link Adaptor RARE Discontinued Item | eBay.

Alternatively, a high quality WIRED FM modulator type adapter will give quite good results.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Please don't take this as patronising, but are you sure you don't have a CD changer in the boot (trunk) ? If so, there is a way of using the CD audio connection for an "aux" input. I assume you have a "cassette radio" in which case there's another way - which is what I have done - buy a cassette adapter like this - Buy BELKIN F8V366-APL Cassette Adapter for iPod - 1.2m | Free Delivery | Currys - which looks like a cassette and has an "aux" cable. It's not the best audio quality, but is fairly good EXCEPT when I use mine to play music off a mobile phone when it also amplifies the "network noises" from the mobile phone signal - probably because the phone also has built-in FM radio and the headphone wire (which is the connection you are using) also acts as an FM aerial.
Works fine off and Ipod or "normal" MP3 player.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Yes, I'm sure. :-)

I have a cassette adaptor, but after playing for a little while I get a continuous chirping noise coming from the left speaker. I imagine the player just needs cleaning, but I'm not even sure if they make cleaning cassettes anymore. Or if most people even know what a cassette is anymore.

I've also tried FM adaptors before, but haven't been overly impressed with the quality.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:05 PM

How hard would it be to add the CD changer? They seem to be readily available on Ebay. There is a "CD" button on my head unit. How much of the wiring is already in the car?

Old 12-27-2013, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by JonLee
How hard would it be to add the CD changer? They seem to be readily available on Ebay. There is a "CD" button on my head unit. How much of the wiring is already in the car?

The car should be prewired for the changer. Look for the round connector in the right wall of the boot.