Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random questions about my newly adopted XKR x100

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 12:17 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Random questions about my newly adopted XKR x100

Hi everyone,

I'm a new jag x100 XKR owner, i've always loved this car since my teenage years and having it in my garage is really a fantastic feeling, i genuinely think it's one of the best looking cars ever made (along with the E type and the modern F type, i think i have something for jaguar coupés...)

The car is working fine but i have some questions about the car in general and about my particular one, i've looked for some time for answers on the forum but i haven't exactly found what i was looking for and it's also nice to engage a discussion (i'm new to this place!)

1. I find the course of my brake pedal quite long : it's breaking fine and the pedal is neither too soft nor too hard, brake pads are Ok and rotors are not new but still usable (30% left i would say). The brake lights lighten up as soon as i touch the pedal but the actual braking needs quite some more push, is it normal for an xk8/xkR or do i have a brake liquid problem ? (max level checked)
2. My trunk lights are not working properly : when i open the boot they don't light up but they do after a while, maybe 10 minutes. I've read that it could be the sensor in the boot latch mechanism, is that right? If so, has anyone the part number?
3. I have two plugs not connected in the battery area in the trunk, does someone know what they are for ? They don't plug in one another. Here is a picture : https://photos.app.goo.gl/zo6GhJaey96xyFMq9
4. My turning signals located in front AND rear bumpers don't lighten up when i have my indicators on (all four of them) are they intended to blink like a regular turn signal or are they there just to "reflect" light like the ones i have on my bicycle wheels ? The other indicators all work nicely
5. Can someone please tell me if this antifreeze is Ok for my car? https://amzn.to/2S5Bb4A The Expanson tank says it has to be orange and meet WSS-M97B44-D requirements and this one does. Actual antifreeze is orange and the car is not overheating or anything, but hasn't been changed for 6 years so...
6. What type of oil do i need for my gearbox, it has never been flushed. According to my readings, it seems that i have the mercedes 722.6 gearbox but i've read so many different opinions about the type of oil it needs that i'm completely lost. Is ATF4 Okay? Also is there any "how to" that i can follow to do it? I've found one on youtube but it's rather badly filmed.
7. Is there any how to about bluetooth or at least jack connection for the original audio system ? Or am i doomed to use the tape adapted (crappy sound) or the FM radio emitter)
8. Where is the cabin air filter located?
9. My user manual came in...italian. Does anyone have one to sell ? I already downloaded the pdf files i found on this forum but i also want to have the original booklet too.

I hope it's not too much questions and that some of you could help me out with my new car, i love it and want to take good care of it !

Thanks

Old 02-15-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,416 Likes on 754 Posts
Default A lot of questions and some answers

congrats on your car choice. The XKR coupe is a beautiful girl but needs a lot of maintenance. Everyone on the forum has been through what yo’re seeing. Here’s a few quick answers.
Trunk lights - Check bulbs first. Make sure you replace with proper spec. next - common problem is the latch micro switch part no LNC6242AC. If replacing that doesn’t work try the diode by the battery - Ford part E9RY10374A

Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Default Antifreeze

You are right to go with the red/orange longe life anti freeze coolant, but the problem is whether the previous owners did. The cheaper green colour stuff may have been used. Do not mix the two different colours as it’lol gell inyour system and cause all sorts of problems. If in doubt flush the entire system. Refilling should take about 9L

Old 02-15-2019, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Default Soft brake pedal

easy one. Either you have old brake fluid which has absorbed water or you have a leak, spot red leaking fluid under car. First thing is to drain brake fluid and replace. Next inspect all lines for leaks. Worst case is the brake master has gone putt! That’s an easy replacement

Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Default Cabin air filter

Some cars didn’t have a cabin air filter. It should be located under the bonnet in front of the firewall... if you have one

Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Default Gearbox oil

fluid choice depends on your budget. ZF Lifeguard is the preimium, ESSOATF 71141 next, Mobil ATF, or lastly Carlube RX1942 in ascendency of your budget

Old 02-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Welcome to the forum: Let me try to help where I can:

1. I find the course of my brake pedal quite long : it's breaking fine and the pedal is neither too soft nor too hard, brake pads are Ok and rotors are not new but still usable (30% left i would say). The brake lights lighten up as soon as i touch the pedal but the actual braking needs quite some more push, is it normal for an xk8/xkR or do i have a brake liquid problem ? (max level checked)

No this is not normal. You may see some difference in engagement height after a spirited braking but that only lasts til things cool off. I'd check for air in the brake lines first (IOW, bleed the brakes).

2. My trunk lights are not working properly : when i open the boot they don't light up but they do after a while, maybe 10 minutes. I've read that it could be the sensor in the boot latch mechanism, is that right? If so, has anyone the part number?

Its a switch in the latch mechanism (female side). Many many of us deal with the same thing, myself included. Look down the receptacle to view the switch. Others have fixed it, there are posts, I've always had something more pressing to deal with. I'm sure others will have better advice than me.

3. I have two plugs not connected in the battery area in the trunk, does someone know what they are for ? They don't plug in one another. Here is a picture : https://photos.app.goo.gl/zo6GhJaey96xyFMq9

I admit I did not look at the photos. Nevada this is such a common question from new owners I'm going to jump ahead to the default answer: These are there for the original delivery of the vehicle to the dealer. Don't recall what they were for but there are and should be 2 orphaned connectors near the battery in all our cars.

4. My turning signals located in front AND rear bumpers don't lighten up when i have my indicators on (all four of them) are they intended to blink like a regular turn signal or are they there just to "reflect" light like the ones i have on my bicycle wheels ? The other indicators all work nicely

I think we need to narrow down which lights you mean. As I recall there are 4 bulbs (2 left, 2 right) that blink with turn signals. All bulbs are either facing forward or rearward. The parking lights on the outer fenders were not designed to blink.

Sidebar: Do read about the mod to support the ground plane for both sides' rear lights. In summary, Jaguar used a black ground wire to support all the lights in the rear facing light pods (brake, fog, reverse, turn, running) - the wire guage is too thin. Sooner or later it will cause issues. Easy fix: solder/bolt/or rivet a thicker ground wire to the plane (IOW the metal sheet that all those lights reside on when you pull the pod out from the trunk interior) and attach it with a connector to any of the metal nuts/bolts protruding right next to it. [I forgot the name of the gent on our forum who discovered this, wish I could give him credit] If you have no issues now, good, but think of this as preventive maintenance - fast easy job.

5. Can someone please tell me if this antifreeze is Ok for my car? https://amzn.to/2S5Bb4A The Expanson tank says it has to be orange and meet WSS-M97B44-D requirements and this one does. Actual antifreeze is orange and the car is not overheating or anything, but hasn't been changed for 6 years so...

Once color was more reliable, it no longer is the be all end all. You must (glad you asked) match the specs Jaguar published. If no one jumps in here - go to Jagrepair.com. a side created by one of our most esteemed posters here. Tons of good info including fluid specs as I recall.

6. What type of oil do i need for my gearbox, it has never been flushed. According to my readings, it seems that i have the mercedes 722.6 gearbox but i've read so many different opinions about the type of oil it needs that i'm completely lost. Is ATF4 Okay? Also is there any "how to" that i can follow to do it? I've found one on youtube but it's rather badly filmed.

I don't blame you for being confused. I'm going to let someone else address this one since I have a different tranny in my Normally Aspirated XK8. FWIW, I had the job done (new fluid, filter, gasket) for about $130. For that price I have to wonder if it's really worth climbing under a vehicle supported on jack stands in the driveway to do it yourself. It's up to you.

7. Is there any how to about bluetooth or at least jack connection for the original audio system ? Or am i doomed to use the tape adapted (crappy sound) or the FM radio emitter)

Good news. There are many ways to support bluetooth. I can tell you of one that i use and love. Go to Discount Stereo. Look for their Jag CD-HF (CD= CD player works if you want to use it/ HF = Hands free). You will have to run a cable from the CD changer input wire to the area underneath the compartment at your left elbow in the left hand drive car. Costs about $135, 30 or 40 minutes to install if you solder the power connections. Sound = far superior to the CD changer IMO.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/jagcd-hf.pdf

II assume you have a hard top, Moot option with a convertible right? Cabin filter buried under the windshield wipers/cowl area. Major PITA to get to. From what I recall few cars even came with this option anyway. I've never heard anyone say it was worth the effort to change it if they tackled the job.

9. My user manual came in...italian. Does anyone have one to sell ? I already downloaded the pdf files i found on this forum but i also want to have the original booklet too.

The manuals are available on line / download. Have you been on the forum long enough to do a search? I think it was WhiteXKR who posted the links for me once.

If you need help with a search (as I recall new members need a few posts before they can do so) - just ask.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 02-15-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Default Spare power points in rear trunk

Jags came with a spare 12V plug in the boot and behind the front glove compartment. This was akin to an option if customers wanted retro fit something. Your second trunk spare looks like it went to either the Preium option Alpine Amp or to the optional navigation unit. Hope the previous owner didn’t rip it out

Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Default Apologies

the later XKR may not have ZF transmission, so disregard my advice on the transmission fluid

Old 02-15-2019, 01:18 PM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Ryan, I see that your location is Paris. When it comes to side indicators, in continental Europe it seems only the side indicator will flash when you apply turn signal. My car was also originally sold in Italy. I recently changed the side indicators and the reflexes mounted at the side of the bumpers. The reflexes had partly support for mounting bulbs in them, but no bulbs was ever mounted. There are also wiring done, but wire ends not connected to the reflex

Old 02-15-2019, 01:42 PM

@DavidYau Thanks a lot, as i said in my question the lights work if you... wait for 10/15 minutes. So the bulbs are Ok,probably the latch part i'll order that from ebay since new it cost a little fortune for such a small switch

Last edited by Ryan B; 02-15-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
You are right to go with the red/orange longe life anti freeze coolant, but the problem is whether the previous owners did. The cheaper green colour stuff may have been used. Do not mix the two different colours as it’lol gell inyour system and cause all sorts of problems. If in doubt flush the entire system. Refilling should take about 9L
No antifreeze mix problem : the one i have in the car right now is orange (looks green on a black surface, nearly got me fooled but checked it with a seringe and it's as orange as an... orange. Is the one i linked Okay ? Manual says i need 11,5 litres

Old 02-15-2019, 01:53 PM

easy one. Either you have old brake fluid which has absorbed water or you have a leak, spot red leaking fluid under car. First thing is to drain brake fluid and replace. Next inspect all lines for leaks. Worst case is the brake master has gone putt! That’s an easy replacement
Okay so i guess it's not normal then. I have no leaks : no red liquid under the car, i've checked many many times because i've changed the engine oil 2 weeks ago. Also, level is slightly above the max in the tank so if there was any leak it would probably be lower. According to the maintenance history, brake fluid has been changed 5 years ago so maybe it's time to do it. And yet another fluid to find / buy, yay !

Old 02-15-2019, 01:57 PM

the later XKR may not have ZF transmission, so disregard my advice on the transmission fluid
Yeah i have the mercedes 722.6 i think. same gearbox is on a lot of ford / jeep / mercedes / aston martin cars and Jag says you don't need to change the oil, hence the confusion i'm in !

Old 02-15-2019, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Higgins
Ryan, I see that your location is Paris. When it comes to side indicators, in continental Europe it seems only the side indicator will flash when you apply turn signal. My car was also originally sold in Italy. I recently changed the side indicators and the reflexes mounted at the side of the bumpers. The reflexes had partly support for mounting bulbs in them, but no bulbs was ever mounted. There are also wiring done, but wire ends not connected to the reflex
Yes i'm french and bought the XKR in France but it originally came from italy. Thanks for the answer, my car behaves exactly like you say : the regular 4 indicators (front and rear) + the side indicators work fine. The 4 mounted on both sides of the front and rear bumper do not flash, i'm fine with it (3 indicators for each side should be enough right?) just wanted to check if it was intented this way.

According to your answer it's okay, but does it mean that for models sold in the UK or US they're flashing because of the regulations?

Old 02-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Jags came with a spare 12V plug in the boot and behind the front glove compartment. This was akin to an option if customers wanted retro fit something. Your second trunk spare looks like it went to either the Preium option Alpine Amp or to the optional navigation unit. Hope the previous owner didn’t rip it out
Weird, i have no navigation (2 analog gages for battery and oil pressure + a clock) and the radio is the stock one but with harman kardon speakers, i don't know if this was an option.

Johnken says that it's meant that way, 2 spare plugs for nothing much. And really it makes sense because everything in the car is plugged / working so i really don't have any idea what's for

Old 02-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan B
Okay so i guess it's not normal then. I have no leaks : no red liquid under the car, i've checked many many times because i've changed the engine oil 2 weeks ago. Also, level is slightly above the max in the tank so if there was any leak it would probably be lower. According to the maintenance history, brake fluid has been changed 5 years ago so maybe it's time to do it. And yet another fluid to find / buy, yay !

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. You want to buy DOT 4 brake fluid. Pentosin SuperDot 4 is ideal. One large can is enough. Should cost you about $12.

Do not use DOT 5, the low weight DOT 4, nor hybrid blends. Dot 3 can be used in a pinch but is not ideal.

If you have ever bled brakes before then forget what you know. Bleeding brakes on this car is counterintuitive. It is not bled from the farthest brake for the master cylinder first but instead the other way around. I don’t know why, it just is.

The following users liked this post:
Ltd (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Welcome to the forum: Let me try to help where I can:

1.No this is not normal. You may see some difference in engagement height after a spirited braking but that only lasts til things cool off. I'd check for air in the brake lines first (IOW, bleed the brakes).

2.Its a switch in the latch mechanism (female side). Many many of us deal with the same thing, myself included. Look down the receptacle to view the switch. Others have fixed it, there are posts, I've always had something more pressing to deal with. I'm sure others will have better advice than me.

3.https://photos.app.goo.gl/zo6GhJaey96xyFMq9
I admit I did not look at the photos. Nevada this is such a common question from new owners I'm going to jump ahead to the default answer: These are there for the original delivery of the vehicle to the dealer. Don't recall what they were for but there are and should be 2 orphaned connectors near the battery in all our cars.

4. I think we need to narrow down which lights you mean. As I recall there are 4 bulbs (2 left, 2 right) that blink with turn signals. All bulbs are either facing forward or rearward. The parking lights on the outer fenders were not designed to blink.

Sidebar: Do read about the mod to support the ground plane for both sides' rear lights. In summary, Jaguar used a black ground wire to support all the lights in the rear facing light pods (brake, fog, reverse, turn, running) - the wire guage is too thin. Sooner or later it will cause issues. Easy fix: solder/bolt/or rivet a thicker ground wire to the plane (IOW the metal sheet that all those lights reside on when you pull the pod out from the trunk interior) and attach it with a connector to any of the metal nuts/bolts protruding right next to it. [I forgot the name of the gent on our forum who discovered this, wish I could give him credit] If you have no issues now, good, but think of this as preventive maintenance - fast easy job.

Once color was more reliable, it no longer is the be all end all. You must (glad you asked) match the specs Jaguar published. If no one jumps in here - go to Jagrepair.com. a side created by one of our most esteemed posters here. Tons of good info including fluid specs as I recall.

I don't blame you for being confused. I'm going to let someone else address this one since I have a different tranny in my Normally Aspirated XK8. FWIW, I had the job done (new fluid, filter, gasket) for about $130. For that price I have to wonder if it's really worth climbing under a vehicle supported on jack stands in the driveway to do it yourself. It's up to you.

Good news. There are many ways to support bluetooth. I can tell you of one that i use and love. Go to Discount Stereo. Look for their Jag CD-HF (CD= CD player works if you want to use it/ HF = Hands free). You will have to run a cable from the CD changer input wire to the area underneath the compartment at your left elbow in the left hand drive car. Costs about $135, 30 or 40 minutes to install if you solder the power connections. Sound = far superior to the CD changer IMO.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/pdf/jagcd-hf.pdf

II assume you have a hard top, Moot option with a convertible right? Cabin filter buried under the windshield wipers/cowl area. Major PITA to get to. From what I recall few cars even came with this option anyway. I've never heard anyone say it was worth the effort to change it if they tackled the job.

The manuals are available on line / download. Have you been on the forum long enough to do a search? I think it was WhiteXKR who posted the links for me once.

If you need help with a search (as I recall new members need a few posts before they can do so) - just ask.

John
Thanks for your answers john, and thanks for the grounding trick, i had no idea about the issue.
The indicators i'm talking about are those in the bumpers, front and rear.
130$ for oil transmission change is not a lot, you're right but i love to work on my cars and this way i'm sure the work is done properly with the best possible oil and components !
Thanks for the Jagrepair.com and the CD/HF mod i'll check them out !

Johnken (02-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years. You want to buy DOT 4 brake fluid. Pentosin SuperDot 4 is ideal. One large can is enough. Should cost you about $12.

Do not use DOT 5, the low weight DOT 4, nor hybrid blends. Dot 3 can be used in a pinch but is not ideal.

If you have ever bled brakes before then forget what you know. Bleeding brakes on this car is counterintuitive. It is not bled from the farthest brake for the master cylinder first but instead the other way around. I don’t know why, it just is.
Thanks a lot, is 500ml enough? All cans i found are 500ml but it seems very little to me.
I never changed brake fluid but i guess i can find some tutorials on youtube or here. Makes me think i have to change it on my other cars, brakes are working perfectly fine but didn't change brake fluid for a while...

Old 02-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Bienvenue et bien joué!

The two unused plugs are for the optional trunk power source, and the 'transit device' which is removed and discarded by the dealer on delivery.

You most likely don't have the cabin air filter, and you most likely don't want one either... See this post by Brutal for the location:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...67/#post195970

The orange side markers are just reflectors in the European market. However, the wiring is present to activate them if you so wish 'Volvo style' (as I did).

Great thread on Benzworld on the 722.6 transmission (fluid type, servicing, etc., etc.) :
https://www.benzworld.org/forums/3647154-post1.html

Johnken (02-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Random questions about my newly adopted XKR x100