XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hub Carriers

Old 04-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hub Carriers

Thank you guys for having me. On my 97 XK8 I have a loud cyclic chirping coming from the driver's side rear wheel area. I changed the pads and the noise remained. I then thought maybe it was the rotor so I swapped the rotors from side to side. The noise remained. Then as I was making a u turn on my street at moderate speed the noise changed. I repeated that u turn a few times which points me in the direction of a bad wheel bearing. I have a couple of local sources for complete hub carriers and I can install the bearings and abs ring at my work. My question is what year rear hub carrier assemblies interchange from XJ or other models with the XK8?

Old 04-29-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Check to see if a part in the parking brake has failed. I had what sounded like a dragging brake and then a loud pop. Drove with a scraping noise and thought I had a bad u joint. Shop pulled wheel and a part to the parking brake had failed, exploded. Replaced the entire half shaft with a used one as the new parts are too costly and lots of labor. The shop was a Jag only shop and had never seen the problem in 17 years. All good, $700 later.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by MACKVIII
Thank you guys for having me. On my 97 XK8 I have a loud cyclic chirping coming from the driver's side rear wheel area. I changed the pads and the noise remained. I then thought maybe it was the rotor so I swapped the rotors from side to side. The noise remained. Then as I was making a u turn on my street at moderate speed the noise changed. I repeated that u turn a few times which points me in the direction of a bad wheel bearing. I have a couple of local sources for complete hub carriers and I can install the bearings and abs ring at my work. My question is what year rear hub carrier assemblies interchange from XJ or other models with the XK8?
MackVIII,

I don't know the answer to your question about XJ fitting XK and all that stuff but I do know that you can check the Bearings by jacking the wheel off the ground and push-pull for movement from top & bottom.....If it moves a bunch you need to replace the assembly! I had a so called Mechanic do mine and then about 6 months later Jaguar replaced them the right way......That's been several years now......The Mechanic forgot to put in the little spacers....!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-30-2017, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the responses. I actually removed the drivers side e brake shoes and the noise remained. I went online and searched for hub carriers and the most parts lists populated certain year XJ models as the same. I will call tomorrow and verify but if that is the case I will be very happy.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

A complete hub carrier! That's an expensive approach to fixing a worn hub bearing.

Graham

Old 05-01-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
A complete hub carrier! That's an expensive approach to fixing a worn hub bearing.

Graham
A friend of mine has a 2000 XJ8 that he is parting out. If the hub carrier is interchangeable between the xk and xj then I will pull the part from his car.