Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear parking aid sensor fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts
Default Rear parking aid sensor fault

after doing the prerequisite forum searches on this topic I have narrowed down the failure of this system to one of the inboard sensors. It figures the-easy-to-get-to outboard sensors are just fine. But the driver side inboard sensor is silent. Maybe it's a wiring issue, or poor connector at the sensor, or the sensor itself.

Some posts mention that "small hands" are needed. But all the access I see for the two inboard sensors are a wiring hole for each one about the size of a half-dollar. No room for fingers in there to turn and release the bayonet fitting holding the sensor in place.

My question is, on a 2002 XKR coupe, does the bumper have come off to access the sensor. ?? From the posts I've read, some cars seems to have access holes, and some don't. I don't see any holes that are large enough fort any access.

It looks like only the plastic part of the bumper needs to come off. Will it come off without taking off anything else ?

Z

Last edited by GGG; 12-28-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

Try giving the offending sensor a sharp rap with a screwdriver handle our similar. It brought one on my son's car back to life.

The following users liked this post:
zray (12-26-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
.....It looks like only the plastic part of the bumper needs to come off. Will it come off without taking off anything else?
YES. There's four fixing bolts and then it slides off rearwards. Useful to have an assistant as it's suprisingly floppy

This is my 2001 XK8. The mountings on US specification vehicles are different from European. Ours are just a plastic bracket but US ones have an energy absorbing strut as shown in the drawing.

Graham

Old 12-28-2018, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I have always managed to get to my sensors by reaching up underneath. Usually find its a loose wire etc. As suggested before a good tap usually fixes it too. If your not sure which sensor is faulty you can listen to them and they give off a faint tapping/clicking sound if they are working.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
YES. There's four fixing bolts and then it slides off rearwards. Useful to have an assistant as it's suprisingly floppy

".......The mountings on US specification vehicles are different from European. Ours are just a plastic bracket but US ones have an energy absorbing strut as shown in the drawing.
Graham

thank you for the illustration. As soon as my unheated garage warms up a little I'll tackle the bumper removal.

Originally Posted by frankc
I have always managed to get to my sensors by reaching up underneath. Usually find its a loose wire etc. As suggested before a good tap usually fixes it too. If your not sure which sensor is faulty you can listen to them and they give off a faint tapping/clicking sound if they are working.
I've a pretty good idea it's only the left inner sensor. All the other ones sing out when the can is in reverse. I'm hoping a good cleaning of the sensor connection to it's wiring harness will do the trick

I have a fair understanding how the sensor is removed from the bumper, similar to old type taillight bulb. Just push in against the spring and rotate. But I don't know the wiring comes off of the sensor . Just looking at the end sensors, I don't see a bale that has to swing up, or anything similar etc.

Can anyone describe how the wiring connector is freed from the sensor ? So far I haven't broken any of my cars's connectors, but that possibility is my #1 concern whenever I work on it.

I'm experienced on what we now consider to be "vintage" cars and vintage motorcycles. But a novice at modern engineering fasteners. I think a sticky that illustrated the proper way to remove ALL the cars wiring connectors and hose connectors would be a great addition to the forum for the other Rip Van Winkle's like me.

Z.

PS FrankC, I can reach the2 outboard sensors easily enough, but the 2 middle sensors do not have any access other than the hole the wiring goes thru, well under two inches in diameter more or less. Too small to get more than a finger inside of it.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Here you go. For the main bit skip to 2:26 ish.

The following users liked this post:
zray (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

finally had a day above freezing and took the bumper loose far enough to use a pair of needle-nose pliers to turn and remove the non-operational sensor. Still don't see how a persons hands could access the middle sensors without enlarging (butchering) the access hole.

Cleaning it and the wiring connection did not result in a resurrection. Switching it out for one of the good sensors confirmed the fault follows the sensor when it is plugged in in a different spot.

Z