XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt ECU Hookup and Alarm Goes Off

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt ECU Hookup and Alarm Goes Off

I just got my ECU back from being rebuilt. 97 XK8 Coupe. I installed the ECU with battery disconnected. I did the hard Reset, charged the battery all the way. I connected the positive battery cable. When I connected the the negative cable, I could hear the car going through its checks and then the alarm went off. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. The alarm kept going for a while and then stopped. The engine wouldn't turn over at all. Could the security system be stopping me from starting the car? I know there is an anti theft device in my car that deals with the battery being disconnected, but the drivers manual doesn't say how to get around it. Anybody got any ideas?

Jamesjag just went through the ECU Rebuild. James, if you see this, can you tell me if you had this problem??? Thanx, Ron "Jagula"

Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The ECU could stop you from starting the car. I would be talking to the rebuild shop.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM

I figured it out myself using common sense. This Jag has an anti theft system which includes someone disconnecting the battery. I pulled the fuzes which control the horn to not bother my neighbors. I hooked up the battery and let it go thru the alarm warning. After it finished, I used my key remote and locked and unlocked the car. That cleared the problem and the Jagula lives to run again.

During this ordeal, I found several things. One is that if a mechanic sets your spark plug gap 10 thousanths over, your car won't run as well. If you get codes that lead you to a bad ignition module and your jag has 2, switch them to see if the other bank shows bad. If it show the same side being bad, it's most likely not your ignition module. Next is that if your ECU needs replaced, go to ebay and get it rebuilt for $400 and get a lifetime warantee. If you need a throttle body, go to ebay and get yours rebuilt for $295 instead of buying a new one for $1800.

The last is if you have problems with your Jag, log into this website and lay your troubles out. More than likley, there's someone on here that's had the same problem.

I would like to thank JamesJag. His thread pushed me into the light and Jagula lives to ride another day. One day and runs better than ever. All I've done for performance is put a set of properly gapped fusion plugs, a K&N Air filter and a Rebuilt Brain. I'll give an update down the road. Thanks folks. Jag-On

Last edited by Jagula; 11-15-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default ECU and Throttle body Rebuild

So who on Ebay do you recommend for the rebuilding service? Do you know of someplace specific? I am asking for future reference....as you never know what is going to fail next on these cars.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 AM

Lookup seller "ate1234". They rebuild ecu's Throttle bodies etc.. I got my ecu back in less than a week. Prices are a lot cheaper than a dealer or a shop.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Here's ate1234's eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/ABS-ECU-ECM-E...REBUILD?_rdc=1

I'm not an eBay expert and it took me a few minutes for figure out how to find a specific member. Thought I'd save others the trouble.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, that's Automotive & Truck Electronics, the same people who rebuilt my ECU. Easy to work with. I even sent my ECU back to them under their warranty because of other problems after only a month or so; they worked on it some more and returned it to me, no problem. I only had to pay for the shipping. All has been perfect ever since.

John