XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent oil change experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Recent oil change experience

Took my car to Firestone for an oil change(they had a special), while waiting for my car, I could not help but overhear one customer telling another that he could ruin his engine by not changing the oil every 3k miles. Normally I do not get into these types of arguments, but the guy seemed very sure of his facts, so I asked him why he thought that and proceeded to tell me his mechanic told him that and he had read up on it and that many engines fail for lack of frequent oil changes and that oil actually goes bad over time. That is when I started laughing (loudly), when he finally finished is quote, I asked him who his mechanic was and where he worked (wanted to avoid him). He said he was the manager of a oil change shop (leaving the name out on purpose), now I was was chuckling so hard my sides hurt.

Save your money and go by what the owners manual says, the 3,000 miles was from when the roads were dirt and there was no detergents in oil. Nowadays oil has detergents, filters are better and you can go 5,000 - 18,000 miles(diesels) between oil changes, even Jiffy lube is backing off the 3,000 mile interval, below is a recent story, note what GM spokeswoman says.

>

Debunking the 3,000 mile oil change myth

JOSH MAX
Tuesday, February 14, 2012

“Lather, rinse and repeat,” says the label on shampoo bottles, but some say the “repeat” part is a ploy by shampoo companies to get you to use up the product, and buy more, of course. Now, some are saying the same about motor oil – that the old adage of “Change your oil every 3,000 miles” isn’t a hard and fast rule, but rather a way for oil companies to increase profits at the public’s expense – and pollute the earth while doing so. Edmunds.com reports that Americans waste something like $1,850 over the lifetime of a vehicle by getting rid of perfectly good oil. “Although the average car’s oil change interval is around 7,800 miles — and as high as 20,000 miles in some cars,” the site reported last July, “This wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend.” Another reason carowners take their vehicles in for oil changes more frequently is because that’s just about all anyone can do to service a modern car. Cars used to be owner-friendly repair-wise, but a look under the hood of any engine today reveals a tight space that doesn’t allow for much, if any, home tinkering. “I used to love to work on my car,” says Tom Pistone of Bay Ridge. “Used to change spark plugs, replace the air cleaner, change my own oil. Now you void the warranty if you mess around down there. Cars definitely work better today but they’re not as much fun. You change the oil to feel like you’re helping your car along and run better. It’s psychological as much as anything.” There isn’t any doubt that engine oil changes are vital to the smooth operation of a car, but some automakers are now recommending changes in as many as 10,000 miles. "Oil-change intervals are determined by operating conditions and driver habits, not by miles driven — busting the 3,000-mile oil-change myth," says GM spokeswoman Pam Flores.
JiffyLube, one of the country’s best known oil-changing businesses, hasn’t explicitly defended the 3,000-mile rule, but they have capitulated to the changing trend by offering customers a diagnostic service combining driver’s habits and the instructions in their owner’s manuals to determine whether or not an oil change is necessary.

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (08-07-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Just for the record, not trying to tell people what to do with their car. I have stock in Mobil/Exxon, so I am happy if people want to waste money.

I should clarify this post, as some have taken offense. It was meant to be a little sarcastic, but humorous, sorry if I offended anybody.

Last edited by randyb; 08-10-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

While I do not intend to run conventional oil to 10,000 miles, I do run it to between 6,000 and 7,500 miles without giving it a second thought. Changing today's oil at 3,000 miles is essentially throwing money down the drain. But more power to you if that's what you think you need to do to keep your engine purring....

Old 08-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to agree on this one, I used Mobil 1 on each of my wifes Benz ML, changing around every 10-12K - both ran to over 150K without any issues, but it always made me smile on the MB Boards to see people almost proudly admitting they changed every 3K - with Mobil 1!

I use Semi-Synthetic on my Jags change around 6-7K mark and it has served me well - may use the Castrol Full-Synthetic on my newly acquired X350 - need to research.

Personally I don't trust oil change places - even the dealer - plus I enjoy doing it myself.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to get shiat for this, I change my oil based on the car, the Jag and Cad every 25,000 or one year (AMSOIL 5w/30 with MANN Filters) the rest 10,000 or one year (Valvoline 20w/50 with WIX filters) the Dragcar once a year (Valvoline Racing 50w) I've been turning wrenches and building engines for 35 years and not one failure with extended drain intervals...

The biggest problem with most people/oil lube facilities they cheap out when it comes down to the filter, use only quality filters with a rubber/silicone anti-drain back valve with a real coil spring not the cheap Cardboard bent metal spring Fram slow death engine killers.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragman
The biggest problem with most people/oil lube facilities they cheap out when it comes down to the filter, use only quality filters with a rubber/silicone anti-drain back valve with a real coil spring not the cheap Cardboard bent metal spring Fram slow death engine killers.
Yep. I've been using Wix for a long time now. Although, I did get a deal on Ebay on Jag oil filters, but, just used the last one. Back to Wix.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Had a 350 ci, '85 Caprice wagon. Changed oil and filter every 5000 miles. This was highway going to work and weekend grocery getter milage. Sold the car with 276,000 miles years ago. Saw the new owner recently. Wagon has been used to pull a trailer since he bought it from me. Still changes every 5,000 miles. Odometer now reads 354,000 miles with engine never opened up. Pretty sure it wasn't built on a Monday or Friday with those numbers. pophen

Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 AM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but the "oil change shops" will tell you anything to make money. I do not take any of my cars to those places.

There are so many factors involved when it comes to changing oil, that it is almost impossible to make a rule when oil changes are needed. There are times to change more frequently, and then there are not.

My preference is to change once a year, and not because the "oil can go bad", according to the mechanic by randyb, but to keep the oil clean.

Just my 2c

Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by JSC
................There are so many factors involved when it comes to changing oil, that it is almost impossible to make a rule when oil changes are needed...............
Jaguar put their reputation on the block with this one.

Recommended oil change frequency is every 10K miles OR 12 Months - whichever comes sooner.

Graham

Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Dragman, who makes a good oil filter for a Jaguar?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Consider this, that carbon particles in your oil will even be beneficial to lowering the friction so you do not even want to change your oil too often.

You can chck the condition of your oil by smelling. If it smells sour, change it. If not, leave it.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragman
I'm going to get shiat for this, I change my oil based on the car, the Jag and Cad every 25,000 or one year (AMSOIL 5w/30 with MANN Filters) the rest 10,000 or one year (Valvoline 20w/50 with WIX filters) the Dragcar once a year (Valvoline Racing 50w) I've been turning wrenches and building engines for 35 years and not one failure with extended drain intervals...

You shouldn't get shiat for stating your own personal experience, especially when it represents the results of an extended period of time. Thanks for posting it!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NeilJones
So Dragman, who makes a good oil filter for a Jaguar?
I use (MANN filters #W7197 around $20 each) I order them from an Amsoil dealer. http://

Old 08-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Am also using the Mann filters.

There is no one answer to oci's, if you want to know what the best is for your car/driving habits, do an oil analysis for instance with www.blackstone-labs.com, very cheap. I learned from it that I could easily do 10Kmiles with the M1 0w40 I use.

The following users liked this post:
jaguarcraver (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

I have been in the automotive servi e business for 37 years. While I will agree that the modern car needs less frequent oil changes, I will say this about the "3,000 mile oil change": Today's drivers typically stop only for fuel. They wouldn't add oil, check their tires, or anything else if the warning lights did not tell them to do so! 3,000 miles equates to about 3-4 months in most average drivers. In that time, it is important to check fluids and tire pressures, etc. So, you may not need an actual oil change... but the general inspection of the vehicle that comes with it is pretty important. The people on this forum are an exception. We are "car friendly", and probably prone to over-maintenance. But, I can't tell you how many cars come into my shop with low tires, serpentine belts in poor condition, very low oil levels, and hardly any air in the spare tire!

The following 2 users liked this post by chopr:
Bob OB (04-10-2013), Mikey (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by chopr
I have been in the automotive servi e business for 37 years. While I will agree that the modern car needs less frequent oil changes, I will say this about the "3,000 mile oil change": Today's drivers typically stop only for fuel. They wouldn't add oil, check their tires, or anything else if the warning lights did not tell them to do so! 3,000 miles equates to about 3-4 months in most average drivers. In that time, it is important to check fluids and tire pressures, etc. So, you may not need an actual oil change... but the general inspection of the vehicle that comes with it is pretty important. The people on this forum are an exception. We are "car friendly", and probably prone to over-maintenance. But, I can't tell you how many cars come into my shop with low tires, serpentine belts in poor condition, very low oil levels, and hardly any air in the spare tire!
No argument there!

Old 08-11-2012, 05:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by chopr
I have been in the automotive servi e business for 37 years. While I will agree that the modern car needs less frequent oil changes, I will say this about the "3,000 mile oil change": Today's drivers typically stop only for fuel................
You've got to hold your hand up to a slight personal interest in seeing customers across the door more frequently!

Got to agree with you about average drivers not checking fluids and tyres. In the UK many use the MoT (annual inspection) to find out something is wrong in place of regular servicing.

The condition of our member's cars from all countries bears this out. Even the most careful buyer usually finds some neglect in a used Jaguar when they first get it home and several here are rectifying major issues.

Count yourself lucky the majority aren't as "car friendly" as people here - your family would starve!

Graham

Old 08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree that changing oil at 3k is a waste of money & good oil. With the cost of Mibil 1 going for $10.00 a quart, why would anyone want to change it so soon?

I use 0-40 Mobil 1 in my 4.4 v8 740il BMW and the inside of the engine is as clean as it was the day the put it in the car at pover 135k.

I can see through the oil cap, my Jag it is pretty nasty. I guess the other owner really believed on long term oil changs or used Dino oil. I am considering using 0-40 Mobil 1 in my Jag as well, seeing as it burned a quart in less than 3k on 5-30 mobil 1. and I got some great advice form a very smart forum member.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and do a couple less then 10k changes in order clean out the nasty stuff that is in there from the last lazy owner.

Anyone know of aother way to clean out gunk?

I really enjoy this forum, unlike others there is no rock throwing.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recent oil change experience

Tired of pay $100 for the local dealer to change oil + filter...the last two times I have had major leaks, hoses disconnected, etc. immediately after., can I really go to Jiffy lube? What is now the recommended oil/syntheetic for my 2000 XKR?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigvettefreak
Anyone know of aother way to clean out gunk?
Brutal likes adding a quart of ATF to the oil and letting it run awhile before draining.

Most JF members regard his word to be good as gold.

Quick Reply: Recent oil change experience