XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rejuvenating Your Leather Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Rejuvenating Your Leather Seats

I spent the day today rejuvenating the leather on my 2005 XKR Ivory Recaro seats. To do so I used Leatherique. I have to say that in these times of over-the-top hype and advertising superlative excesses it is great to find a product that actually lives up to its claims. Based on my experience today I can give Leatherique an unconditional A++. The product worked absolutely great. I applied the product as directed, we had one of those mid 80s central Florida days, and the difference from start to finish was truly remarkable. I thought that my Ivory Leather Recaros were still in good condition but the end result left the passenger side looking like new and the drivers side looking excellent. I was stunned at how much crud and grime was liberated from the leather and I never thought that the seats could look so good again. So, in nutshell, If you have been thinking about rejuvenating your leather seats then give Leatherique a try and you will not be disappointed. The key factor is to pick a warm day (80 F +) and follow the instructions. It is very easy to do!

By the way, I have no connection to Leatherique in any way other then using the product.

Regards to all.

Tim V.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Here in central NY that is around August, we normally still have snow on the ground in April. I would be happy to just pull the STR out of the garage and just sit in it with the engine running, but we had a bit of a blizzard yesterday 1 foot of snow and 50mph winds so right now there is a 2 foot drift in front of the garage that I have to clear, can't even get the newspaper yet. But I know spring is coming, just not as quick as I would like!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Been driving the vert for a week now with the top down. Unusual weather even for Atlanta, but I'm not complaining!!

I agree with the Leatherique recommendation. I have been using it for years on my Jags and RR.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Bought a quart, then another quart, then a gallon. While I do not believe in magical ATF fluid the Leatherique stuff is magical.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed...Leatherique

I've been using Leatherique conditioner and cleaner (in that order) for years on my Lotus Esprit. I had an XJ-8 a few years ago and used it on that as well, and I've recently picked up a 2000 S-type w/ less that 50K miles (love the retro styling that so many tasteless reviewers say looks dated now...I guess I'm really gettting old!) and it's done a great job of softening up old leather. Still, a few cracks and wear marks exist. I'll be driving to Aiken, SC (where Leatherique is based) soon from from Atlanta to pick up some exact match dye for both the Lotus and the Jag. I'll take the head rest from the Lotus. Leatherique provides great lether preservation stuff, but the restoration stuff is just as amazing. If you're not close, you can mail parts or leather samples for an exact match. I've had an affinity for British cars for years and most everyone I know in car circles who really cares uses Leatherique (especially the owners of Brittish and Itallian cars).

I've got not affiliation with the company. I rarely (maybe never?) provide recommendations like this...but I think my affinity for preserving the cars motivates me to want to make sure the word gets out. Leatherique really does help preserve the cars for all of us.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Okay you've convinced me...so please tell me where do you get it? Is it mail order only or what specific Auto Parts stores have it?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

To the best of knowledge it is only available online or their store directly. I concur with the hot day. It works with heat and time.

The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (03-22-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by test point
Bought a quart, then another quart, then a gallon...
Wow! I was just looking at the site, and the gallon kit is a steal, a gallon of both Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean for $170, that's $98 savings over the individual price!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MidlifeXJR
Wow! I was just looking at the site, and the gallon kit is a steal, a gallon of both Rejuvenator Oil and Pristine Clean for $170, that's $98 savings over the individual price!
I just ordered the 128 oz. (1 gallon of each) special kit. With $2.50 handling and $39.99 shipping by UPS to Oregon, the total was $212.49. That's a considerable savings over the individual price.

What with my wife's saddles/tack and the XK8 interior and maybe the leather furniture (if I feel really industrious), I hope it lasts. It does get rave reviews from anyone who's used it, and I'm looking forward to reporting my results.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Leatherique gets my vote. It's amazing to treat a car that you think looks o.k. After letting the conditioner set up, the nasty gunk (sweat salts, dirt, etc.) that floats to the top will make your stomach roll. Once you've seen it you'll never again eat a french fry you just dropped on the seat.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Nce Kty
I just ordered the 128 oz. (1 gallon of each) special kit. With $2.50 handling and $39.99 shipping by UPS to Oregon, the total was $212.49. That's a considerable savings over the individual price.

What with my wife's saddles/tack and the XK8 interior and maybe the leather furniture (if I feel really industrious), I hope it lasts. It does get rave reviews from anyone who's used it, and I'm looking forward to reporting my results.
So you have used this on saddles and tack... is she only using the cleaner or both? I have two horses, soon to be three, and 5 saddles and the associated tack, but I was stingy and reserved the Leatherique for the Jag. The horses get the Lexol... is it worth it to use on the tack?

Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . and it worked miracles on a large leather sofa.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I found that the Mcguires leather cleaner & restore works well, and its a fraction of the cost.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by alfred
I found that the Mcguires leather cleaner & restore works well, and its a fraction of the cost.
It's o.k. for maintenance but doesn't come close to what Leatherique does. Kind of like the difference between a good burger and center cut prime rib.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that some might disagree but I've found that Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser with just water does a great job of getting dirt out of wrinkles & creases. I tried several products and none worked as well. I followed up with Lexol. I think the Magic Eraser is very slightly abrasive and really gets the dirt out. I may try Leatherique to see if it helps restore the old leather.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I've tried almost all of them. I agree that Leatherique is very good. I am particularly fond of their "Pristine Clean" product. My favorite combination is Pristine clean for cleaning and Lexol for conditioning.

IMHO (and *everybody* has an opinion on this subject...like tires and oil) is that any of the over-the-counter conditioners, used regularly, will keep soft leather soft. A friend of mine has been using Meguiers leather conditioner on his seats for years and they look and feel wonderful...at a fraction of the cost of Leatherique. However, if you're starting off with dry leather the Leatherique conditioner is probably the best bet in bringing it back to life.

Just my 2-cents :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
Leatherique gets my vote. It's amazing to treat a car that you think looks o.k. After letting the conditioner set up, the nasty gunk (sweat salts, dirt, etc.) that floats to the top will make your stomach roll. Once you've seen it you'll never again eat a french fry you just dropped on the seat.

If you really wanna get grossed out, clean your leather steering wheel :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

...but don't scrub too hard, it can come apart!