XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote door un/lock

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote door un/lock

Ny new (to me) '97 8 did not come with a remote fob so off to eBay I went, first getting the wrong one. I found this out by some posts on this forum, thanks!, that suggested I call the dealer, supply my VIN and get the paert number for the correct fob, done. Sent the first fob back, the seller graciously accepted the return and won an auction for the correct model, arrived today.

I follwed the instructions, again thanks to this forum, and managed to get a light flash from the shifter area acknowledging fob button push from ALL four buttons. However, the only three buttons seem to be functional, but not the door un/lock. The other symptom is that there is no chirp during any of this process, just the light flashing in front of the shift lever.

Is there some more trouble shooting/iolation that I can do? Where/what is the electronic module that might fix this?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

If the key will unlock the door then the fuse and door module are ok. The Security and Locking Control Module is powered by fuse 10 in the trunk fuse box but if you got through the sync sequence that is also probably ok.

The lock/unlock button gets most (all) of the fob's use over its life and is therefore the first to fail. I suspect that is your problem rather than being a car issue. I have taken the rubber contact pad apart and cleaned it with some success. The chirp is very soft on my car.

Last edited by test point; 12-13-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Yes, the key will un/lock and when I perform the sync, the light will flash when the un/lock button is pressed. I have taken the remote apart and carefully cleaned everything. Regarding the chirp, with the diminished state of my hearing, maybe it is happening, I'm just not hearing it. The problem however remains, can't un/lock with the remote fob. Anything else I can check?

Originally Posted by test point
If the key will unlock the door then the fuse and door module are ok. The Security and Locking Control Module is powered by fuse 10 in the trunk fuse box but if you got through the sync sequence that is also probably ok.

The lock/unlock button gets most (all) of the fob's use over its life and is therefore the first to fail. I suspect that is your problem rather than being a car issue. I have taken the rubber contact pad apart and cleaned it with some success. The chirp is very soft on my car.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:56 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by jabingb
Yes, the key will un/lock and when I perform the sync, the light will flash when the un/lock button is pressed. I have taken the remote apart and carefully cleaned everything. Regarding the chirp, with the diminished state of my hearing, maybe it is happening, I'm just not hearing it. The problem however remains, can't un/lock with the remote fob. Anything else I can check?
The flashing light next to the shift confirms car security module is entering programming mode and it's most likely to be worn lock/unlock buttons on the remote as Test Point described which is then preventing the remote responding.

However, you purchased the remote on eBay. As well as checking the right LJx2610xx number, you definitely did get a US frequency (315 mhz) fob and not a European (433 mhz) frequency?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:18 PM

I appreciate all of your inputs. But I am embarrased to report I have found the problem and it is me! I finally read the security manual last night after I managed to set off the alarm to the displeasure of my neighbors. I now understand how the remote fob functions and the upper left button is not the panic button, as you all know that is accomplished by the lights 3 times, found out the hard way. So all is well, works as advertised and I still find it hard to believe the Jag dealer charges $80 for "programming", they should be ashamed.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguars!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:51 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Jab;

We all do that kind of thing, no worries, now you know and so do we thanks to you.

That is good to know all that stuff, especially the panic mode, still haven't gotten around to reading all of my manual....too busy having fun driving it.

Thanks,

cheers,

jj

Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 AM
GGG

Pleased to hear you solved the problem. The remote programming procedure is more like casting a spell than science.

It's always a good plan to make sure the neighbours know exactly what your Jaguar alarm sounds like!

Old 01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all ,

Can amyone help !

Just had my x-type jag serviced , for some reason when i got car back found my osf door panel had been removed , took car back as remote for unlock / lock was intermiten , thought this may be due to panel ? just before car went to garage found spare key to be working fine.

Garage phone to confirm panel was removed and re fit was ok , however i would need new key flob as remote is faulty , is it normal for 2 keys to go faulty at same time or is the fault inside car ?

Old 01-07-2012, 01:42 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by dd07
Hi all ,

Can amyone help !

Just had my x-type jag serviced , for some reason when i got car back found my osf door panel had been removed , took car back as remote for unlock / lock was intermiten , thought this may be due to panel ? just before car went to garage found spare key to be working fine.

Garage phone to confirm panel was removed and re fit was ok , however i would need new key flob as remote is faulty , is it normal for 2 keys to go faulty at same time or is the fault inside car ?
You should put this question on the X-Type list where there's more likely to be direct knowledge. The X-Type uses a different key / fob pattern to the XK8's.

The following users liked this post:
dd07 (01-07-2012)