XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing XKR Seat to Adjust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing XKR Seat to Adjust?

This might be a crazy thought, and I'd like to run it by people more experienced and I. I have a 2002 XKR 100 and the passenger seat control (at least the fore-aft and up-down parts) don't work. While I'm trying to figure out what part needs to be replaced to get these to work again, I have had another thought...

Is it possible to remove the seat and manually adjust it forward?

I ask because my kids often ride with me and I need to move it forward about an inch to make it comfortable for them. If I can pull it out, push it forward, and then remount it, I can wait on fixing the controller almost indefinately....

Am I crazy? Thoughts?

Dave

Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Dave
Check the forums the fix might not cost you anything, if I remember it might just be a wiring sheath rubbing through, but if your going to take it out might as well fix it correctly
Doug

Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Actually, I'd like to do something similar. My passenger seat isn't broken, but it doesn't move up and down. My wife thinks it's too low (she's only 5'2"). I had a similar problem on a Z3 that I had, and on it I removed the seat, inserted some 1 inch spacers between the seat and the floor, and reinstalled the seat using longer bolts.

On that same seat (the one in the Z3) the fore-aft motor quit working and it was too far back for my wife. I don't know if the XK seat is similar, but the Z3 had a motor underneath the seat and a flexible drive shaft came out of either side of the motor. The flexible drive shafts engaged in a mechanism on the seat rails. I removed the motor, then used a cordless drill to turn the drive shafts. I had to go back and forth, from one side to the other, to adjust both rails equally.

I actually dug around and found the old drive motor and took a pic to show you what I'm talking about. The motor is there in the middle, and the two things that stick out from either side of the motor are just the plastic sleeves that protect the drive shafts. The actual drive shaft is that thin thing in the bottom of the picture. I removed the motor without even removing the seat, and then attached the drill to one of the shafts, and turned it to move one side of the seat forward a half inch or so. Then I did the same thing to the other side. I had to go from one side to the other a few times, but I eventually got the seat moved to a position where it was comfortable for my wife.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Of course, the XK seat may be completely different...

Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Take the control from the driver’s seat and move it temporally to the passenger’s seat and give it a try. I understand that both are interchangeable after adjusting the seat move the control back. I have links on my page for the repair of the control box and the cleaning of the control switch on the seat if you need it.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Do what Gus says.

But if that doesn't work, I just looked in the JTIS to see how to remove the seat. It's very simple except you need to be able to move the seat fore and aft! With the seat all the way back you can remove the bolt at the front of each seat rail, then with the seat all the way forward you can remove the bolt at the rear of each seat rail. I'm not sure how you do it when the seat won't move. However, there are just four bolts holding the seat in. Remove those and the seat comes out. The JTIS also says to disconnect the battery first to avoid an airbag deployment.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gus
Take the control from the driver’s seat and move it temporally to the passenger’s seat and give it a try. I understand that both are interchangeable after adjusting the seat move the control back. I have links on my page for the repair of the control box and the cleaning of the control switch on the seat if you need it.
Gus:

Thanks! Excellent idea. I saw your webpage w/the 1995 controller...I'm guessing that the controller on a 2002 is very much the same.

Does the control unit just pop out? Or are there tabs/screws holding it in? I'm just adverse to breaking pieces off because I didn't realize what was there before I started digging...been there, done that way too many times...

Dave

Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I have not had the pleasure to work on mine; however, I do understand they have a type of nut to hold them in place. Be prepared they often get lost or broken. Just take your time.

Attached Thumbnails Removing XKR Seat to Adjust?-searmodxk.jpg  
Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Two small bolts, two electrical connectors easily reachable.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

I just took out my passenger seat because I'm going to raise it about an inch to make my wife happy. I learned quite a bit about the seat and the seat control module in the process.

In regards to the control module, the one for my passenger seat was loose and just flopping around under the seat. The module itself is encased in plastic, and the plastic had broken where the bolts hold it in place. But for your situation that doesn't make any difference. The plastic enclosure is attached to a metal plate, and the nuts holding that metal plate in place are what you want to remove. By doing that you'll just remove the entire assembly. Those two nuts are 10mm and they are locate on either side of the plastic box. You should be able to reach under the seat and remove them by feel.

Here's a tip: only remove one nut and just loosen the other. The nuts hold the metal plate in place, but the plate is slotted. You can slide one side of the plate out once one of the nuts is removed. Here's a pic. Keep in mind that in this picture the seat has been removed and it's laying on it's back on a tarp in my garage.