XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replaced hoses, no power to pump & error message

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default replaced hoses, no power to pump & error message

I had the convertible latch hoses replaced by a competent mechanic (doesn't typically work on Jags though) who I've been working with for years, and we've run into a problem.

The latch mechanism and that plate which it is mounted to are sitting on the dash so that we can observe it and work on it easily.

First, the latch seemed to be functioning opposite of the way it is expected to, but it wouldn't close completely and seemed to spring up after power was turned off, as though there was air in the lines. We switched the lines and added fluid, activated the top, could hear the motor working air out of the lines, the top came up fully and then the latch closed, snapping into place as one would expect it to.

At this point everything seemed to be functioning as one would expect.

I then noticed a message on the dash, "convertible not latched". The latch appears to be in the fully closed position despite this message. I pressed the button to retract the top, and the pump would not run. After testing the electrical system, he determined that the pump is no longer receiving power. The 40 amp fuse is OK, and we can hear the solenoids clicking.

Any idea what might be wrong? I did notice that the rear windows were not moving at all, even when the top is up, the latch is closed, and I continue to press up on the switch.

edit: just got a call from the mechanic, apparently a sensor was not plugged in, everything is supposedly working as expected now.

Last edited by OhioXK; 06-22-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The 2 micro-switches are NOT PLUGGED IN??????????

The hose with the F needs to be on the lower connector on the pump assy.
The other end with the F needs to be the longer hose going on the fitting closer to the latch 'piston'.

If you removed the hydraulic cylinder you might have damaged/bent the micro-switch levers???? I don't remove the cylinder unless I have to clean or replace it.

I just did 2 XK8 hose sets this week so it is still fresh in my mind.

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
OhioXK (06-21-2012)
Old 06-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks bob, I read your reply to the mechanic.

Before the latch mechanism and plate were placed on the dash, the entire assembly was left hanging by the hydraulic lines coming out of the A-pillar, as well as the electrical line which goes to the micro switches. So perhaps the weight of the assembly pulled the wires loose inside the plug. I suppose it's possible that the micro switches were damaged, but that the damage did not interfere with pump operation until the latch closed. once the latch closed, we haven't been able to get the pump to function again.

He said that he "didn't remove the entire latch, but removed 4 screws and loosened it enough to get to the hoses"; I didn't get a close look at it, so I'm not sure what he's referring to.

Regarding the hoses, he said that the replacement hoses (Colliflower, not factory) were not marked. I think we have them going the right way now, but I'm really not sure. Reversed hoses wouldn't prevent the pump from running, would it?