Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Speaker Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:06 PM
agd
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Replacement Speaker Fit

All four of the speakers in my base system stereo rattle badly in the bass range, so I have little doubt that the surrounds and possibly the cones have deteriorated to the point that replacement is warranted. I want to retain the original grilles and factory look so I am looking for advice on fit.

Instead of a co-axial in the door, I would like to install the Polk DB6501 component set: the mid-range in the door and the tweeter in the dash. The Crutchfield site says the mid-range will not fit in the door because the top mount height is .688 inches and the XK8 only has .578 inches between the mounting ring and the grill. One of the forum members, xkreagle installed these exact speakers, but that was a while ago and he may no longer be active, so I wonder if anyone else can advise me if in fact they were able to install these or other speakers of similar mounting height and how much modification was necessary. I have read some reports of individuals replacing the original speakers with various after-market models, including co-axials with protruding tweeters, that have not indicated any problem mounting them. Is Crutchfield too conservative in their recommendations, or will I face major fitting problems if I try these?

Thanks in advance for any advice and experience.

Andy

Old 06-02-2016, 12:06 AM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

QUOTE: "The Crutchfield site says the mid-range will not fit in the door because the top mount height is .688 inches and the XK8 only has .578 inches between the mounting ring and the grill." END QUOTE

I read that post and saw the pictures/video. I believe the new speaker mounting rings were removed and the original vehicle rings were substituted to clear the grille. If I remember correctly, he cut the new rings and old rings off, and switched them. That post was relocated to the audio/visual electronics section, if memory serves.

This link is to the audiophile section, where discussions of speaker upgrades of various types, styles and price ranges are ongoing; with lots of specific help. Follow this like to the Brand Review>audio/visual electronics> Audio/Visual Electronics - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Last edited by 03 XKR; 06-02-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:20 AM
Received 93 Likes on 30 Posts

I installed Kicker 41KSS654 a while ago and they were a direct fit and I've been very happy with the audio quality. Definitely a big upgrade from the Jaguar base system.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:50 AM
agd

That is good to hear! As an aside, where and how did you mount the crossovers?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am pretty sure I installed the Polk db6501s (I would have to check the box at home). I did have to drill new holes in the Jaguar ring that is installed in the door and it was a little larger but it did fit.

I also plan on replacing the dash with the component speakers as well but haven't taken the opportunity to do so yet. You will not need the crossovers unless you have abandoned the OEM amp as the crossover is built in.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This is how i fixed my speakers in the back.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 06-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I am not much of an audiophile, as long as its loud AC/DC sounds just fine. When my rear speaker went out and got rattly on the bass. I sent them to Orange County Speaker (California) and they rebuilt/re-coned them. No problems removing and reinstalling. Even with shipping and repair the cost was less than the cost of a new speaker.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:53 AM
Received 93 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by agd
That is good to hear! As an aside, where and how did you mount the crossovers?
They are tucked away inside the doors. Just made sure they didn't foul the window mechanism. The tie-ins for the dash tweeters are also accessible in the door frame.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:18 PM
agd

Thanks for all the replies.

My current system is the base system in the coupe, so no amp in the back, simplified 4 speaker harness from the head unit, 2 front door and 2 rear panel full range speakers and an empty space on the back deck where a sub-woofer would have been in the premium set-up. No dash or pillar tweeters, no rear seat woofers like on the convertible and no active crossovers.

My plan is to replace the existing deteriorated speakers with the component Polk db6501 up front: the mid driver in the front door and tweeter in the dash. The rears will be replaced with co-axial Polk db651s. I am hoping these will be a straight forward swap with very little modification needed.

To fill in the bass ,the Kicker 40CWD84 8" sub-woofer would fit into the original location on the back deck. It is the only 8" sub-woofer I have seen that advertises it is suitable for infinite baffle or "free-air" installation and I do not want to take up space with an enclosure. This could be powered by a Rockford Fosgate mono amp using speaker level inputs.

Overall, a relatively modest and simple repair upgrade that will remain visually unchanged from the factory set-up.

Andy