XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse stopped working at 160K

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse stopped working at 160K

So my beloved 98 coupe decided to stop engaging reverse the other day, no prior symptoms. My mechanic said that it'd need a new transmission, so I went out and bought a low mileage 2000 convertible for short money. The old coupe looks sad sitting out in the weather behind the shed, is there a fix for the lack of reverse before I post a for sale sign on her? Also the new ragtop has not had the tensioners replaced, any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

Jim
98 coupe, 2000 convertible

Old 11-16-2017, 05:30 AM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

you've not said what checks your mech has done to deduce that you need a new box, most of the time its a cop out because most don't even understand auto boxes but I may be doing them a disservice? first i'd check if the selector micro switches are asking for reverse? does the message center say 'transmission fault?' , the selector cable may need adjustment is one place to look , if you get the fault message, sometimes its the selector switch is OK but the corresponding switch on the box isn't made, again, a cable adjustment or replacement switch may be needed. If they are OK, then the reverse solenoid in the box may be faulty. Any decent mechanic should be able to eliminate all of those before condemning the box.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:24 AM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

+1 on the above recommendations. Did the mechanic provide any fault codes? Has the transmission ever been serviced (replace fluid/filter - every 60K)?

As this is your first post - welcome but take a moment to stop by the new member section and post an intro. In return, you'll receive a warm welcome and useful tips to navigate the forum

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I've been a member for about 8 years, but had forgotten my username and password. There are no codes as far as I know, but the reverse lights come on. The transmission had not been serviced since 70K miles, so 100 or so with no servicing, or apparent issues. I'd check for codes myself, but the code reader is i the new car at the shop having the timing chain tensioner service done as well as a new exhaust, intake and the inevitable abs module replacement.