XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors and Brakes - Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rotors and Brakes - Thanks!

Just taking a moment to give a big thanks to all the contributors on here. I just finished putting new rotors and brake pads on the front of my XKR, rear is next weekend. Although there was a little more muscle involved than I anticipated, it went great, in no small part to all the knowledge I picked up here. From using JTIS, proper jacking techniques, to sourcing supplies, to checking runout and break-in, everything was here in pics, video and description. Break in was the most fun- I've never done such a "hard stop" in the Jag before! Run-out was probably the most important lesson learned here that I would have skipped otherwise- but I got a gauge in advance and was able to reposition the rotors to eventually achieve .05mm.

I went with SNG Barrett rotors (drilled), Hawk ceramic (was OVER the squeal and dust of my OEM), and took a few minutes to replace my worn out purge control valve while the tire was off (which I diagnosed with the WDS I put together from help here, and saved me a trip to the shop to turn off my check engine light!) My original rotors were JUST at spec, so glad I replaced them this round.

I was shocked how easy a job replacing pads on those Brembo brakes is. Seriously, it was more work replacing my dash bulb than the pads. The rotors required increasingly larger hammers, but even that wasn't overly complicated.

So thanks, thanks, thanks. You guys just saved me a small fortune and I thoroughly enjoyed a fun Saturday afternoon in the garage.

~Chris