XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs noisy and and has low power

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs noisy and and has low power

Hello everyone I'm Paul from New Orleans and I'm thinking about buying a 1997 Jaguar XK8 cheap but I'm told that it runs noisy and and has low power, though the chains and tensioners are all fine. I'm thinking it maybe a fuel filter or full pump but I thought I would ask ya'll. I know my way around cars but I'm not sure if I should try a jaguar yet. Thanks for your help!

Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 AM

Hi ratfink,
Does the car have any other problem? It is very valueable if you buy a good second-hand car.
I found one equipment is fit for your car Trip Computer A301_vehicle - www.scannerobd2.com
I recommend it to you. I bought it before, it works well. It has many functions:
Quickly retrieves vehicle Diagnostic Trouble Codes and other vehicle security information.
Displays real time oil consumption data, helps lowering maintenance cost.
Clears trouble code information and saves maintenance costs.
Real time vehicle trouble alerts include vehicle malfunction high water temperature, over-low battery voltage, fatigue driving, over-speed, maintenance reminding, shift reminding.
Displays vehicle parameters, including engine speed, air pressure, real time oil consumption, acceleration performance, coolant temperature, oxygen sensor voltage.
Provides a variety of graphic and digitized images or texts under various driving modes including idle mode, tour mode and race mode.

Hope this can help you!
Best regards

Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Received 112 Likes on 56 Posts

Hard to say Paul, those early xk's did have more problematic motors...could even be low compression, car could have overheated, etc. Would be best to see it in person and report back with specific observations, or have a Jag mechanic do a pre-sale inspection.

gelomeloman, seems like you joined the forum just to advertise your OBD scanner online store?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

dont touch it with a barge pole

Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

What do you mean "noisy"? That doesn't tell us much. If it's a low heavy metallic sound it could be lower engine problems that are death for sure. If the car was not maintained properly the nikasil liners could be damaged....also death. A compesssion test would tell you a lot.

You need to find the source of the "noise", but with a '97 if it doesn't seem almost flawless (like mine ), you'd better stay away.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 AM

I have an OBD scanner that works on fords. Do you think that would work? The car is in show room condition from all the photos that I've seen and the guy only wants 2k for it. I going to try and look at it this weekend and hear it run. I figured if I bought and put a used motor in it I would only be in for 3-5k and have a nice jaguar. I've been also looking a the XJS for awhile now and for some reason now I feel I need a jag lol. I'll try and get more info when I go. Thanks for the quick replys! I'm glad I came here!

Old 10-11-2011, 12:57 PM

Be aware that you can't just grab any AJV8 engine...or even just any XK8 (pre-2003) engine to replace yours. These engines were built with changes every year...or even more often. The S/N will make a big difference.

For $2K your seller must know there is a serious problem....maybe numerous ones. Is it a flood damage car? If so, all the electronics could be ruined, a very expensive proposition. Plus, rust in hidden places could also be waiting for you. If it is a local car I can tell you that I've seen LA cars that literally drip water from the frames when they sit (bought a fully restored 67 GTO some years back that came from just up the road).

It sounds like you've only seen pics so far? Be careful. When I bought my dry CA car it looked almopst perfect but pic angles can hide lots of flaws (had to repaint my rear deck)...and then do ALL the typical XK8 issues over the next 2 years. But now, even with everything done, you can buy a much nicer one like mine for about $6-9000 depending on the normal considerations. I don't think you want to get into one that needs lots of work unless you just enjoy the challenge of restoring your own.

I like first year models because waaaay down the road they can be worth much more money, but then you have to deal with all the first year bugs.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Be aware that you can't just grab any AJV8 engine...or even just any XK8 (pre-2003) engine to replace yours. These engines were built with changes every year...or even more often. The S/N will make a big difference.

For $2K your seller must know there is a serious problem....maybe numerous ones. Is it a flood damage car? If so, all the electronics could be ruined, a very expensive proposition. Plus, rust in hidden places could also be waiting for you. If it is a local car I can tell you that I've seen LA cars that literally drip water from the frames when they sit (bought a fully restored 67 GTO some years back that came from just up the road).

It sounds like you've only seen pics so far? Be careful. When I bought my dry CA car it looked almopst perfect but pic angles can hide lots of flaws (had to repaint my rear deck)...and then do ALL the typical XK8 issues over the next 2 years. But now, even with everything done, you can buy a much nicer one like mine for about $6-9000 depending on the normal considerations. I don't think you want to get into one that needs lots of work unless you just enjoy the challenge of restoring your own.

I like first year models because waaaay down the road they can be worth much more money, but then you have to deal with all the first year bugs.
excellent advice

Old 10-12-2011, 06:53 PM

Of course, the parts alone are worth far more than $2000.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Go drive it and then see how you feel. XK8's don't usually have noisy engines unless the timing chain tensioners are failing. But noisy can be many things, hole in the exhaust, worn cams or lifters, bad rod or main bearings or even a bad bearing in the water pump or idler pulley. You need to go over it and see.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to check it out this weekend. If I was to part it out how much ya'll think I may be able to get?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't know what you'll get for parts but pretty sure it will be over $2,000.

Just give us all here at the Jaguarforums first shot, OK?