Sponsored by:

Seat Control Modules

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts
Default Seat Control Modules

I know, this again?

I have read through most threads on this, and the "programming" part still eludes me.

Backtrack: Car is new to me. Passenger side is "dead", and both control modules were hanging off the wires when I got the car. Someone has been there before!

So, I did the swap test, and the problem follows this one module. Aha, one module is bad. So, after sending it out for a repair that proved unsuccessful, I decided to open the box and test. There is no obvious breaks in the tracks along the edge, where the hard plastic touches. And a meter shows zero ohm end-to-end for any track that is routed to the edge. Bizarre, I guess.

Here is the weird part: If I unplug the smaller connector to the module, then plug it back in again, the seat module works just fine (possibly with the exception of the heater). This can be repeated at will, it works consistently. This is with the key off the ignition. After a bit, it stops working, as when the key is inserted and moved to Acc. Does this mean it needs to be programmed in? Both modules look identical. Same part#, same number of "ports", 3 of them, including the middle memory port that does not have a corresponding connector on the passenger side. Both boxes have a sticker with "This part programmable". There are no messages in the cluster for any of this.

Pretty sure the local dealer would charge me an hour labor for this, so I wanted to be more informed before pulling the trigger. Thanks for any input.

Part# LJE2160AB/XXX

Guess: I have 2 driver modules, one original, and one from eBay.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

While the modules are the same, the one in the driver position requires programming to be able to communicate with the other modules. Any correct part number module should work in the passenger seat.

I have an electronics background from many years ago and could not see any issues with the circuit board tracks but there were 4 that did not work.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
....... Car is new to me. Passenger side is "dead", and both control modules were hanging off the wires when I got the car. Someone has been there before! ......
Not necessarily. Ripping the fixings through the lid is a regular issue from continued flexing with use of the seat. Here is one ready for a replacement lid:

Seat Control Modules-10-passenger-seat-module-removed.jpg

If the module works intermittently as you describe then I'd conclude it's NOT a programming issue. A program fault would result in a continuous fault.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 07-08-2015 at 02:26 AM.