XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat mechanism cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat mechanism cover

My seat mechanism (hinge) cover, left side, is broken and I cannot find a replacement. For my color code (LHJ - Dove), there are absolutely none in the Jaguar Dealers system worldwide, and it's been this way for a year. The manufacturer is not making them any more, so there will never be new ones.

I have been given a number of phone numbers and websites of several reputable places in the USA that sell secondhand and used parts. None of them have this part, aside from just one where the part was broken (worse than mine). The trouble is my car is not all that old (2005) and these places deal more with older "classic" cars. I believe that the same model seat was in the XK8 from 1998-2006, but the Dove color may not have been there the whole time.

I would appreciate any tips of places that might have a large collection of secondhand interior parts for the XK8. They don't have to be in the USA - I'll try anywhere. My model is LHD, driver's seat, but it's quite likely that the left side (passenger) seat of a RHD will be the same part I need. The part number is GJE4731AALHJ so it's simple to check.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know, what you suffer:-) Some time ago I had the same headake. My both hinge covers were broken. My interior is coffe (SDC), so rare as well. I spent a lot of time on searching for covers in my color. No success:-(. Finally I got used covers in "oatmeal" for 100 USD/pair and painted them with a special "flexible" paint (in coffee color) for plastics. Cost 10 USD for a can. Put 3 layers on the covers. Looks pretty good. Now it's almost 6 months since I put them in and all looks fine. No damage, no discoloration. That was my way...:-)

Old 04-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

They really are as rare as rocking-horse poo ! I have been searching for two years now with no success. Breakers (parter-outs) won't sell that part separately, and no longer available from Jaguar.
This really is a part that a 3D printer could make. Colo(u)r could be matched with paint, and it's not unduly stressed so anyone out there with the kit ??

Old 04-10-2015, 05:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

interesting post, I found one of mine in bits after transporting passengers (kids) in the back. I took it off and used plastic metal filler (fibre glass repair would work too) on the rear of it. This stuck it all together again then painted it with some leather repair paint I had. I only used that because it was a perfect match. Once fitted you can't tell it's been repaired. there was one small piece I couldn't find so I just fabricated that with the filler and sanded to shape before painting.