XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat switch removal issue

Old 12-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Seat switch removal issue

I am going to have my seats recovered next week. I have read that you have to be careful removing the seat switches, so I thought I would do it myself rather than the trimmer. I have read JTIS on removing the switches. My question is where is the tab you need to depress. The switch pack seems to sit in a plastic case that seems to be screwed to the metal frame. I see no tabs to push. Do you get to it from the edge of the switch cover or is there a slot you stick the screw driver in? Is it on the side or the bottom? I am lost. I am trying not to break the damn thing, but all I can see to do is to pry the thing out. Please help.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

After doing more research, I found some old pictures on ebay and figured. The tab is on the back rear of the switches, opposite side of the switches. You pry the tab back and the switches fall right out. see phoyos

Attached Thumbnails Seat switch removal issue-seat.jpg   Seat switch removal issue-seat2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (12-09-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I managed to break mine, while poking around with a screwdriver looking for the tab, so be careful.

I've got some double-sided velcro to "fix" it, but that's on my todo list.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Seat Switch Removal How without Breaking it!

My Passenger seat is all the way to the rear. It will not move forward. It appears to be the switch as you can hear it engage briefly (click) when you move it to the back position, but the other positions wont engage and the button feels stuck. It therefore does not go up or down, or forward, or will it "click" pressing the button to get to those positions. It feels like the switch itself is off track. However, I have been fighting to get the switch removed without removing the seat and have been unable to do so. I understand how it is clips in, but I am unable to disengage it while the seat is mounted in the car. I would like to remove the seat, as I did the front driver seat and remove it from the underside of the seat; however, I am unable get the rear bolts out as I can't move the seat forward. I have seen threads which include jumping the motor however this appears to be dangerous from what I have read. Is there any other way to move the seat forward so I can get the rear bolts out?

Last edited by FRE801; 07-05-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by FRE801
My Passenger seat is all the way to the rear. It will not move forward. It appears to be the switch as you can hear it engage briefly (click) when you move it to the back position, but the other positions wont engage and the button feels stuck. It therefore does not go up or down, or forward, or will it "click" pressing the button to get to those positions. It feels like the switch itself is off track. However, I have been fighting to get the switch removed without removing the seat and have been unable to do so. I understand how it is clips in, but I am unable to disengage it while the seat is mounted in the car. I would like to remove the seat, as I did the front driver seat and remove it from the underside of the seat; however, I am unable get the rear bolts out as I can't move the seat forward. I have seen threads which include jumping the motor however this appears to be dangerous from what I have read. Is there any other way to move the seat forward so I can get the rear bolts out?
Swap the grey seat modules (under the seat, attached with 2 bolts) between the drivers side and passenger side and see if the problem follows the module. The problem you describe is far more often due to breaks on the copper traces at the edge on the circuit board in the seat module than the switch assembly. Do this before rmoving the switch assembly and risking breaking the plastic mount.

If the seat module is the problem search the forum for repair instructions or a tech who repairs these at a reasonable cost.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Issue Resolved, Switch issue

Thank you for your input. I finaly got the switch out and the issue was the white slide (retangular item in switch) which became stuck. As for removing the switch, I finally got it out without removing the seat. It wasn't easy but I ended take a flat head screw driver, prying up on the lip of the switch ever so slightly, and then inserting a very thin screw driver which I had bent into a hook at the end. After working on in for about 5 minutes I unhooked the tab and switch came out. What was most interesting is that I found out my passenger seat does not have any equipment for height control, except for the switch which was not set up for height control, in that it did not have the internal components in the switch. There was no height motor or hardware on the seat. I have had the car about three years and just finally got to the switch. I was wondering if anyone knows, was height adjusting passenger seat an option for a 1998 XK8 or did I just inherit someones prior work of just removing it? My driver's seat has the height adjustment, just not the passenger seat. I wonder if this was an option?

removing the Seat. It was to say the least, a careful and interesting task.