XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Tensioner ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Secondary Tensioner ??

Started to replace tensioners on my 2000 xk8 Coupe tonight. Started on the right bank, so far so good, no problems. Went to bed and woke up at 2am with questions racing through my mind, so here I am typing away.
1. Gasket set came in today, Victor Reinz, the gaskets are all the same color, how do I tell RB from LB?
2. I'm going to rotate the engine to relieve pressure off of the exhaust cam, does it matter which direction I turn the engine over, clockwise or counter clock wise?
3. Socket size for crank pulley?
4. Thinking of replacing all spark plugs while I've got the coils off, what about cranking the engine by hand when all the plugs are out to get the pressure off the cam?
5. Has anyone used iridium plugs?
6. I'm thinking after I install the tensioners I could crank the engine over with all the plugs out to charge the tensioners then I wouldn't have to pull the fuel injection relay, good or bad idea?
7. Has anybody had any codes come up after replacing the tensioners?
That's about it, so far the job has been going good, I'm just about ready to pull the RB cam cover to see what lies beneath, tensioners have not arrived yet, hope they come in soon, when they do I'll finish the RB, charge the tensioners and start the car keeping my fingers crossed, if everything goes ok I'll start the left bank. Thanks in advance, I love working on this car, so far it's been fun, thanks to all for all of you that have gone before and documented the information I've read on the forum, it's been priceless. Well back to bed, maybe I can get some sleep. Chow

Old 12-03-2013, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by sshowell99
how do I tell RB from LB?
clockwise or counter clock wise?
Socket size for crank pulley?
cranking the engine by hand
iridium plugs?
fuel injection relay
any codes?
Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar repair. Just wait until you finish and can say 'I changed my own tensioners'. I have often thought that we ought to have a 'tensioner badge' to add to the car.

If I remember correctly the gaskets are the same. Don't forget the dab of RTV on the gasket at the front cover seam and don't tighten the bolts down too tight. Past 'two finger' tight will only break the plastic covers.

The engine rotates clockwise, from the front. Best to continue that but the only thing affected is the primary/secondary chains/tensioners.

Socket is 1 5/16"

Hand is best

Most use iridium plugs

You will need to remove the relay later anyway to pump up the oil pressure before starting. Can't hurt to do it first so you don't forget. Otherwise turning the engine by hand is not going to affect the fuel pumps.

Mine displayed no codes afterwards but who knows. The cat often likes to tease you.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Was the football game results Saturday evening good or bad?

The following users liked this post:
sshowell99 (12-03-2013)
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Ah yes, the game. I'm an Alabama fan and I'm very disappointed in the Alabama fan base, mainly those people who are never satisfied. I'm also confused as to why Saban went for the field goal instead of just taking a knee and going into overtime. I also think the Alabama players thought that when the ball went into the end zone "that was it" and didn't pay attention to the return play. At any rate I think Alabama had a great run and we all have to remember it's just a game. Auburn has to be the luckiest team out there, they fought hard and a win is a win, now it's on to the SEC championship then the BCS championship game. At this point I don't think FSU can be beaten. Your guess as to who wins the SEC. Missouri reminds me a lot of Oregon, small and fast. Maybe they can stop Auburns run. Thanks for the information, now tonight I'll remove the cam cover and take a look inside.
Thanks again!!!!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The crank bolt is actually 24mm but a 15/16" socket should fit.

The RH and LH gaskets are different so you just lay them out and pick the one that matches the one you just removed.

bob gauff

Old 12-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Are these the plugs members use in their XK8?
NGK Spark Plugs Iridium IX BKR5EIX-11 5464 x8 Fits JAGUAR S-TYPE 98- 4l 03/00- | eBay

These look to be a reasonable price, listed for an S type but checking on the NGK website it is for the XK8 also.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Yes, they are.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Default Project Update

RB tensioner removed, when I took the cam cover off the tensioner looked prestine, however when I looked at the forward side of the tensioner with a mirror I could see that the tensioner was cracked, the car made no rattling noise on cold start up, 50k on the clock, everything appeared to be fine, sure am glad I did this project, it's been a long time since I did any mechanic work but with everybody's help in was an easy job. Lifting the cam was easy since I rotated the engine to relieve tension on the exhaust valves. Everythings set for the installation of the new tensioner, hope they arrive soon from jolly ol England..

Attached Thumbnails Secondary Tensioner ??-dsc_0013.jpg  
Old 12-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club!

sshowell99 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

This could have been the result of not replacing your Cracked Tensioner:

Attached Thumbnails Secondary Tensioner ??-jagtimechain12_zpsbd90262b.jpg  
sshowell99 (12-04-2013)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Thanks to all for your help on this project, finished the job and the car runs great, now onto the next project.....Happy Holidays