XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Select Edition Expiring in March, Car is in for a 61pt inspection...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Select Edition Expiring in March, Car is in for a 61pt inspection...

With 82,000 miles on the ODO, I dropped her off with Autobahn here in Ft Worth on Tuesday, and here is what my thorough inspection has found.

(1) I found my slow coolant leak... it was not at the thermostat housing as I had suspected from previous owners. The water pump was failing, weep holes were producing coolant. <Covered>

(2) Hose to water pump in poor shape. Needs replaced <not Covered>

(3) Transmission pan showed a slight seepage point on the seal. New fluid, filter and gasket required <Covered>

I have always suspected that my suspension bushings may be going as I get some small 'clunking' noises when going over small bumps and cracks at low speeds. A visual inspection did not result in any recommended replacements. Since the sway bar bushings should have been easy to diagnose failing, I still think I am going to have all of the control arm bushings replaced in the near future. Parts are relatively cheap, just need to find a mechanic to do it...or kidnap GordoCatCar, if he's in Texas for some reason.

Got a Land Rover for a loaner and feeling really good about the prospect of this car lasting another 5 years or more. Anyone have any other 'points' to ask they check out that would not be on the 61-pt inspection?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Were you looking into buying another extended warranty either through Jaguar or some aftermarket source?

Doug

Old 02-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Matt, are you really going to keep it another 5 years? I thought you wanted to sell it and get a newer one?

A heads up select edition doesn't cover an rubber hoses which i m sure you knew but also damage caused to other components if they fail (not sure if you knew) as a result of the hose leaking/breaking etc

Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

You know Doug, I had considered another extended warranty, but I am now considering just taking a chance with all of the 'major' stuff already taken care of already. I really can't think of what else might go wrong... at least of the issues that we hear about around the forums. Can you think of anything? The warranty will most likely cost me $3k or more for another couple years, especially with the high mileage on her.

BMW, I have mentioned wanting to get an 07, and I still may...just no hurry I suppose. I am still paying off this xk, however, and would be upside down for another couple years if I decided to trade it in anytime soon (I paid a premium buying it from a jag dealer). Plus, I still love getting in it every day and driving it as much as the first day. Until the desire and appreciation fades a bit, I will be keeping it.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Make sure you get the metal updated thermo housing and water pump so you won't encounter this again.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Veteran member

Will have to ask him about that Lew when I take it back on Monday.

In addition to the items listed above, they found, and replaced, the LF engine mount. It was leaking. Having driven it home, i think that was the cause of my clunking sound over small bumps and cracks that I was observing. I would never have thought about the mounts being the cause.

Also, they got the 'hard plastic' bleeder hose replaced under Select. Apparently, rubber hoses not covered, hard plastic... yup. Noting out of my pocket at all for this very large service visit. A couple gift certificates to dinner and 2 dozen golf ***** is all I 'paid'. My service guys rock.

Now, what I am not too happy with... the steering wheel is at 2:00 when driving straight! how the holy heck can you miss that when doing a test drive? I can't even see my gauge on the far left for the airbag in the way. I am pretty sure the steering was disconnected when replacing the mount, and it pulls crazy to the left!!!

Do I ask politely for a re-alignment, or let them straighten the steering wheel and not mention the pull?

Last edited by H20boy; 03-01-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Will have to ask him about that Lew when I take it back on Monday.

A couple gift certificates to dinner and 2 dozen golf ***** is all I 'paid'. My service guys rock.

This brings up an etiquette question I have never dealt with before. Do you guys generally "tip" or "gift" the service advisor? I had never done so before with any other cars I have owned but then again I have never owned a Jaguar. It had not occurred to me that I should be offering some gratuity to the service guy as I thought it could be construed as tacky, but maybe it is tacky NOT to be doing so?

Doug

Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

So far, the jag service and the guys who worked on my stereo system (for like a week) have been getting 'tips' over the last couple years. you can tell the ones that go the extra mile for you, the ones who stay late to wait for me to pick up the car, the ones who work hard to get $175 hoses covered under warrant, the guys who email you 'options' that are not going to earn any revenue for the dealer or company they work for. I like being known as the guy who brings kolaches when the car is scheduled in. I even did a 4-pizza delivery when it was close to Christmas time for the mechanics as it seems like a give-give relationship. Of course, the 'amount' of the tip is always in proportion to the savings that I perceive, such as this last trip for the transmission parts, engine mount, and water pump... $100 out of pocket seems like a deal to me.

Everyone will have a different take on the subject, but I remember waiting tables in college. Those regulars who tipped me well always got my 'A' game, and even threw in dessert once in awhile. Managers did the same thing, keeps the customer happy and referring others to the establishment.

Plus, it makes me feel good knowing I might make those guys day a little better, whether its with breakfast that they may have skipped, or taking their significant other out to dinner for a nice night out, on me. Call me a softy.

Doug, there hasn't been a thread that has discussed this before, feel free to start one and perhaps others may benefit from our experiences.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing the bushings was a $350 job if you're looking to get that fixed.

About tipping the service folks, it's kind of hard to justify when the dealership charges $125 per hour for labor (BMW is $85). I just carry a smile and be nice to the service department. The mechanics, however, are cool and very knowledgeable so I don't mind too much spending on repairs that are Jaguar specific.

For all other repairs (eg: oil change, alignment, etc), I take the XK8 to a local shop which I have been going for years and they often extend me discounts without me asking or find ways to help me save some money here and there.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
In addition to the items listed above, they found, and replaced, the LF engine mount. It was leaking. I am pretty sure the steering was disconnected when replacing the mount, and it pulls crazy to the left!!!
Do I ask politely for a re-alignment, or let them straighten the steering wheel and not mention the pull?
I just had both of my motor mounts replaced. I thought I had an oil leak. My mechanic advised me to replace both, because it was just a matter of time before the other one would leak too. Turned out the other one was already dry. Sure made a difference in the feel of the car at idle. If you are as close to your mechanics as you say, they should be happy to correct the steering issue! Yes the steering had to be loosened to get to the left mount.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

I talked to him today, he's going to get my steering wheel centered, but he didn't mention an alignment...guess i may be on my own there.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Lew, I asked my service guy about the other motor mount, if i was destined to be back for that in the near future. He told me the LF is the most troublesome, as it makes sense with the torque from the motor pushing against. he said the other one is more of a pulling force, and unless I run the car hard alot, i should be ok. XKRs may obviously put more strain on both sides... one good consequence of not having all that extra horsepower like you. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, steering wheel is back to center, and they aligned it as well, but it still pulls to the left a bit. Oh boy.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You shoud tip the tech unless you have a really good advisor that works with you well. I work with alot of customers and Im the 1 doing the owrk and would e the 1 willing to work with you on different problems and (warranties) like rear view mirrors arent covered, but auto lights not working with the sensor in the mirror is. And I am alot more willing to go out of my way for customers that apprieciate and ask for me, and take interest in their cars and whats going on with it. Some advisors are knowledgable, some are just, well much less than. And to Appear knowledgable just flat out le or says totally erroneous crap that I have to overcome later. Like "well Joe the advisor said......" well then maybe Joe should come out and diagnose the car and fix it then, since he knows so much....You know many times theyre right, my only irritation is when a advisor opens their mouth to insert their foot and ive got to explain whats really wrong....Ive evn had advisors order parts and I havent look at the car yet and i have to explain why this expensive part was ordered thats not needed and Im not putting on cause it wont fix the car....

Old 03-06-2009, 12:56 PM
Veteran member

Good to know, but often you can't find the tech that works on your car when you pick it up close to closing. At our dealer, I rarely ever see a tech/mechanic actually in the service advisors area.

Also, is it kosher to ask for the same technician on every repair job? That would be nice to know.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I have alot of customer that only want me to work on their cars and most of them have my card. I talk to alot of customers as i feel its much better customer service if you know who's working on your car each and everytime instead of playing the lottery on who's gonna get it this time, someone good or a butcher..goes for wherevever you you go. Yes i know alot of tech arent people persons but alot of us are too. I have customers that give me gallons of patron, gift cards, money, tickets. I do a great job for them not because they do, but because i just do and they know i do. Many times its to my lessening of a paycheck too since i give even better deals to regular customers i know. Kinda like.."you extended warranty company is paying for suspension work in front and i have to take the brakes off, so you buy the brakes that you need soon and ill call it a wash on overlapping labor".. But then again we have people that wouldnt even do that, they just say well theyll be back when they need brakes and ill charge them for that too...and so the old mechanic rips me off syndrome starts.....

Old 03-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I def think its great to ask for the same tech everytime. Ever since my first visit ive always asked for the same tech. He mainly does Aston Martins but He even has an S type R himself and is a really nice guy, met him my first visit. When you have the same tech they also have the advantage of knowing the car and what they have done to it before.

Im also a firm believer in tipping, regardless of the make if they take good care of you. I dont think its neccesarely the dollar amount as it is the thought. Sometimes I have $5 for them sometimes $20 but either way it can buy them a beer or it can buy them lunch. I think 90% of customers dont tip. I agree with Brutal (besides him being a tech lol) the techs deserve it just as much (if not more) then the service advisor or in my case manager. They find way more then I complain about and after the 2 first initial visits ive had only a handful of other problems.

The BMW dealer where my family is long established has horrible service and techs that miss half the stuff we even tell them and a very rapid turnover of advisors, plus way too many. The only person we tip there is the Valet driver who takes it the 25-70 miles each way (depending what house were at) to bring it to us and is always very nice.