XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

self jacking wheel dollies - part II

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:58 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default self jacking wheel dollies - part II

My 2003 XK8 arrived a day early and is sitting in the garage now, but I'll save the details & pics for another thread (and man now I see what all the fuss is about - this is one incredible car!).

I have a more immediate concern that I would appreciate some input on. I purchased a set of these: Dannmar 105415 and was shocked at how difficult they are to use. I lift weights regularly and had another strong fellow helping me, and we could still barely get the car to move on a smooth concrete floor. I was concerned about denting the sheetmetal due to all the force required to move them. They're going back tomorrow, as they are so difficult to use that they're essentially useless. I suspect, and hope, that it has something to do with the polyurethane material used for the wheels. I'm thinking that perhaps the polyurethane wheels are compressing slightly, just enough to make them difficult to move; a steel wheel shouldn't do that. I hope.

These GoJak UTG6200PR are much more expensive, but the wheels are made of steel and use some kind of ball bearings.

"itspec60" mentioned in my previous thread that he uses the smaller GoJak's and said they work great, just wondering if anyone else has used GoJak's specifically, or others with steel wheels? If so, were they easy enough to move around by only one person?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

You will find that a key factor is the diameter of the casters. The bigger they are, the easier they roll.

The following users liked this post:
OhioXK (04-16-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just an update on this:

I returned the Danmar dollies and bought the GoJak 6200's. They cost more than twice as much as the Danmar units, but they work sooo much better. If everything is pointed in the right direction, I can move the car with light pressure from one hand. If the casters are all in the wrong direction, it's still not too difficult to get it moving correctly. The ratcheting mechanism seems safer than the pump on the other one. It can be ratcheted up and down smoothly, while the other unit relied on a bleed valve which lowered the tire uncontrollably (causing the mechanism to go flying out at great speed). The GoJak's can be opened up much, much wider so they slide around the tire easily, while the Danmar dollies were so snug that everything had to be lined up just right and they'd still rub the tires when installing them, requiring extra pressure. The GoJak wheels seem to be made of some type of hard plastic or phenolic material while the Danmar was a softer polyurethane.

They're simply superior in every measurable way. If anyone else is in need of these, don't waste your time or money on the cheaper units, they simply don't work right on such a heavy car.

edit: btw, the advertisement was wrong regarding steel wheels on the GoJak's. they're not steel, they're just a hard plastic material, but still better than soft polyurethane.

Last edited by OhioXK; 04-17-2011 at 02:47 PM.