Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self levelling headlights 3 steps forward, 3 back

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Self levelling headlights 3 steps forward, 3 back

Hi all
This refers to a XK8 1997, reference previous posts.
Excuse this tome but I require more assistance with my low focused headlights.
To spare sensible people further reading I will pose the question first then describe what I have done for those with time to spare to read on.
# Can the headlights levelling motors be reprogrammed?
# Where an how does the self levelling get its signal from, I believe it's in the rear suspension ?
# what common problems and fixes exist with this system?

The car's headlights are focused to low. With the manual adjustment full up , high beam is marginal, low beam terrible.

I removed the servo motor from RH headlight. I disassembled the motor, no easy task with the destruction of some plastic clips (how many does this car have?) I observed that the geared quadrant that drives the lights up and down was in it's lowest position.
I manually reset the position into near the highest position ( no easy task for a mug)
I reassembled and installed the servo (multi pin connector to servo left unconnected) and objectively rechecked the focus. Brilliant, lights much higher and with manual adjustment mid range, all looked good.
I then plugged in the wiring to the servo. To my disgust the servo motor whirred away and dutifully drove the light back to its lowest position. (Once familiar with the system, it's easy to judge adjustment by looking at the gap between the top of the lens and the reflector)
I then jacked the rear of the car up thinking that the car would recognise the rear suspension is extended and compensate by driving the headlights up.
No joy, the headlights remained stubbornly down.
I guess I have the option of manually resetting the servo motors ( no fun) and leaving the wiring off. On one hand the self levelling seems a bit of a **** as the car is effectively a 2 seater and shouldn't need self levelling.
On the other hand it does seem wrong to have a connection off.
Sorry for the length of this but any experiences or suggestions gratefully accepted
Al

Old 07-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

There is a front and rear level sensor connected to the lower suspension arms. Check that they are both there and connected with good harnesses. Other than that, you will need the dealer WDS to troubleshoot and reset them.