XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I get a late 90's xj8 ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking should I get a late 90's xk8 ??

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I find these forums to be the best place to get advice. I want to get a late 90's XK8 because I love the way they look as a hard-top and I love the rims from this model year(s). However, I have done my research and I have heard thet these particular model years are not reliable (97-99, of course my favorite years). So, can anybody tell me if I should stay away from these model years or if there is anything I can do to avoid the mechanical/electrical problems that may arise? Is it possible to put rims from a 97-99 on a later model? Thanks for any info!! The best thing about the model years that I like is that you can get them for a great price, however, if it's not reliable, it can cost me a lot more in the long run (and it doesn't seem like there are any warranty companies that sell a warranty for a 90's xk8) Thanks, MikeyC,

Last edited by mikeyc; 10-21-2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 10-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

This is an often discussed subject that has earned itself a spot on the FAQ list above. The '97 to '99 cars had a set of issues that dwindled in the '00 to '02 years and '03 up appear to be as reliable as any cars on the road.

My suggestion is that the early cars through '02 are now 8 to 13 years old and need to be owned by hobby mechanics or to those to whom potential large repair bills are not an issue.

There is another FAQ link above on the wheels with pictures of all used throughout the years.

Good luck on hunting for the right car. The XK8/R series are keepers.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Thanks so much, I will check out everything you said........ Thanks!!!!! Oh yeah, it looks like I will shop for an 03 or newer, do you have any suggestions as to where to find one? I feel most comfortable buying from trusted sellers, you never know what you can find on ebay, etc. etc. I'm located in New York, I don't mind shipping, but I'd rather buy local.... thanks Again !! Do supercharged models from 03 or newer pose any problems, what kind of mileage can I expect from say a regular V8 as opposed to a suprercharged XJR ?

Last edited by mikeyc; 10-21-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:29 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Here is my thoughts on late 90s XK8s. There are incredible buys out there if you take your time and look for the right car and Ebay is your friend. I am coming off a 1996 Vanden Plas that I owned for almost 7 years and took from 60k to 123k miles and loved every mile. I just purchased a 1999 XK8 with 102k miles. The car looks and drives like it is new. I bought it for well under $10k. Well under. It came with the cam chain tensioners already done, but I had planned on spending $1,000 on any well running car I found that I could not document that preventative repair. That was the estimate I got from several very good independent repair shops.

Had the car for 3 weeks now. Little bits and pieces to sort out, biggest one being a cracked valve cover that caused a burning oil smell driving it. Had a shop (non-dealer) replace, change all fluids (oil, trans, brake). Came to $1200 parts and labor. Stuff I have done myself - replaced antenna (used, had one believe it or not), replaced rear view mirror (Ebay), flushed top hydro fluid (also have Walt's relief valve on order), bought a spare remote (Ebay, programmed it myself - very easy), replaced both seat switches (used off internet reseller), bought new tonneau cover (Ebay at 1/5 of the cost vs. dealer).

Yes, Jaguar repairs can be expensive - mostly due to the outrageous premium Jaguar dealers put on OEM parts. Labor is labor - here in Southern Cal a good mechanic commands $75 to $100 per hour whether they are working on my Jaguar or my Honda. Ebay and Craigslist are both a great source of lower priced used parts for older Jaguars as well as there being many other 3rd party Jaguar parts sites. Most decent independent mechanics don't care if you source your own parts and have them install them. Granted I don't count on this car as a daily driver - it's our fun sunday car so if I am waiting a week for a good priced part, it's no big deal.

Just as example, the seat switches both had broken knobs. The Jaguar dealer wanted $850 for the driver and $600 something for the passenger. Nearly fainted. I bought two used switches off the internet for $150 each and installed them myself. Didn't really even need to do this, I could still operate the seats, just me wanting everything sorted out correctly on the car.

Bottom-line for me - if you can find a clean late 90s XK8 (I would stay away from a 10 year old Supercharger personally) and can either document the car has had the major items done or immediately do them and include it in your budget (cam chain tensioners all, roof issues on convertible, throttle body is still free from Jaguar till end of the year) the difference in cost vs. a 2003 plus can buy a lot of repairs. Even with everything I have done I am still into the car for less than $10k. That's a lot of bang for the buck.

Coupes are hard to find, I think 80% plus were sold as convertibles. Southern Cal (and I hear FL) have lots of these cars that spent their whole life garaged and away from snow and salt. Find one that has been well taken care, continue that care and it should take care of you.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks so much, that's why I love these forums, you get the best advice fast, thanks !!! Seems to me that a late 90's Xk8 may not be for me because I'm looking for a daily driver. Even if I address the cam chains, etc. etc., it doesn't seem wise to get into a late 90's Jag as a daily driver, even if it's gone through mechanically, am I right?? I'm better with an 03 or later because I'll be driving about 70 miles per day. Is an 03 or later O.K. for all of these miles? Gas mileage is not that big of a deal to me, however, I'm just wondering what to expect to get MPG(high octane only?). Is an 03 or later supercharged OK as a daily driver, or should I stay away from a supercharged for a daily driver? Thanks, the advice is great ! Thanks, oh so much !!!!! Thing is, I love to drive my cars everyday, and I think the XK8 is one of the best looking newer cars on the road (had a v12 e type for a while-of course, not a daily driver, but I wanted to drive it all the time).

Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Location: Capitola, Calif - beach town - sunny side of Monterey Bay

You'll want to check if the car has had the timing chain tensioners upgraded, water pump/thermostat housing/ thermostat upgraded, and the throttle body replaced if a 97 or 98. The type of hoses that are used on the pump to lower and raise the top are also important as these can lead to problems. There are alot of recent posts on this topic. Those seem to be the four basic problem areas that appear frequently. I bought a very low mileage 98 xk8 at a good price and had all those upgrades done as insurance against future problems. The bill, along with other incidentals, was about $4000. If you buy before the end of Dec, the throttle body recall is still valid and will be replaced free at a Jag dealer.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 PM

So, if I do the upgrades, the car should be reliable for everyday use ?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

My vote would be yes... you address the known weak points and these are as reliable as any other car would be of similar age and miles. I like cars I can pay for in cash, which means sub $10k vehicles have great appeal to me. These are great cars in that class.

Any car can malfunction and all cars need maintenance. Keep in mind you tend to see a lot of problems when you read forums on any vehicle - because that's when people usually post. Don't see too many of the "another 5k trouble free miles" type of posts, which is good, cuz that would be darn boring to read...

Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 PM

The car I'm looking at is a 99 XK8. Now, for 99, there were some troubles, on the other hand, I think the throttle body was OK for 99? So, for this model year(99) I should address the timing chain tensioners, water pump/thermostat housing,thermostat upgrade,water pump hoses, and seat switch knobs? These things need to be upgraded for 99? When upgrading, what model year should I be replacing my 99 parts with? As always, thanks for the advice. So far, I have one vote that supports the 99 as an everyday driver with the above upgrades (just want to make sure I have the correct upgrades for the 99 model-throttle body is OK for this year)? Thanks again.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member

Any parts found today are going to be the latest specs. Perhaps there was an exception in that recently on eBay a number of the early plastic tensioners were up for sale.

The one issue that is not repairable in a '99 is the Nikasil failure which you do not mention. I have the opinion that most of the Nikasil cars that are still running are going to be as good as their steel sleeved cousins (see the Nikasil FAQ). But, check the breather tube and throttle body for oil. Any significant oil is justification for a compression test. Low compression is bad, real bad.

I would add to your list that all electrical items should work. Pull a copy of the owners manual on the sticky list above and understand the many things that move or operate. Check the climate control system. Make a list and verify that all function as intended.

You are doing the right thing to understand all the potential issues before buying a car, any car. Remember that there are lots of the XK8/R cars out there. Keep at it and you will find the perfect one.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks, I'm going back and forth between a later model and a late 90's model. I really do like the late 90's models better. I was thinking, I could get a late 90's xk8 for about 10 grand and put around 5 grand into her with upgrades and I'm only into the car for 15. An 03 can cost me closer to 20 and you always need to put at least 1 grand into any car you buy. Hmmm! With all of the upgrades, I can have a pretty reliable 99 for a lot less $, hmmm! This is where I'm cofused : how bad are the electricals on a 90's car? They can seem fine at first and crap out at any time ? Also, the whole Nikasil thing gets me really nervous. It's all about the high sulfur in gas right ? And if the car is still running now, it should be OK because today's fuel is low in sulfur? However, I should still check for oil in the breather tube and throttle body, and if there is oil present, I should run away from the car (I guess this is a car that I shouldn't buy and have shipped without seeing it first)? The bad throttle body is a seperate issue? What year cars need new throttle bodies? Also, with a late 90's car It has to be fully warm before operation as this can damage the engine because of the nikasil coating? I always warm my cars up, however, if the car is not fully warm, I don't bring her over a certain RPM until she is warm, is this OK? Wow, I'm confused ! I want one of these cars, I like the late 90's the best, I want to save money, but I also need a car for everyday use. Thing is, I'm a car guy, I can't drive say a Honda everyday, I need something cool, it's in my blood. I just don't have the time for a car that will be in the shop all of the time. Thanks for any help!!

Old 10-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Another thing to consider is that the 03 and newer has the 4.2 L engine and a six speed tranny. Major improvements indeed. Another thing to consider is pre-01 cars have the tail light that everyone wants to replace with a newer chrome trimmed jewel light. Also the 01+ have the adjustable headrest, albeit it has has been troublesome, but repaired easily.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar just isn't in Consumer Reports 'Most Reliable' list. I'm sorry, but even an 11 year old Honda can have problems.

If you are not one of the folks whose salary is being capped by the pay czar and need the car on a daily basis I would buy the newest, lowest mileage car I chose to afford.

Once again, the early cars are best owned by hobby mechanics.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 AM

You'll also get much better MPG. with a 4.2. On a recent trip of 100 miles on A & B roads here in the UK I got 32.9 MPG.
George

Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks all !!!!!! All of your advice and knowledge will help me with my decision, Thanks Again ( I had know knowledge of the XK8 except the fact that it looks real good. I have learned from experience not to base my decisions on looks alone and to do some research and ask questions. Funny thing, the better looking the car, the more problems they seem to have. However, there is away to have your cake and eat it, knowledge!!! Thanks!!).