XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple extra cold air for 4.0 air filter boxes

Old 07-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Simple extra cold air for 4.0 air filter boxes

My 2000 XKR came with a cone filter and a terribly designed plate that was supposed to block engine-heated air from coming in. That set up didn't work!

I replaced it with a factory filter box to be able to access cooler air through the factory snorkel. I could not find a used XKR unit, so I installed one from an XK8. It has the nicer throttle body intake tube without the 2 silencers (also needed some trimming and a different way to secure to the throttle body). After getting things back to near stock condition the Jag had access to cool air the way that the factory engineers had intended.

I found out through discussions here that the 4.2 engine XKR air filter boxes have a nifty flap that opens under WOT to allow access to even more cold air! Those are pretty cool, but why not have the same for my 4.0 XKR? Also, why not have access to that extra cold air all of the time?!

I removed the thin black plastic beauty panel from behind the headlight that sits just forward of the filter box to give things a study. Guess what... the fender snorkel is right inside of where there is access to even more cold air. I happened to have a broken down TORO garden blower so I stole the black plastic snout from it to use as a second snorkel. The big end of the snorkel has an enlarged area for latching which worked great to keep the snorkel from sliding out of a custom made hole in the filter box.

I studied the angle that I needed, lined up the shortened section of TORO snorkel against the factory filter box, then marked where to grind material away. That new access hole became the place to locate the new secondary snorkel. It fit right into the cold air area behind the headlight. I also ground a little off of the inside flange of the TORO snorkel to clear the air filter inside. I have added access to almost 75% more volume of cold air as compared to what came from the factory.

No kidding... this only took 30 minutes to do and about 3 cents worth of electricity. It's definitely my sense of humor to have left the TORO logo visible! I do a lot of carbon fiber composite work, so, if I choose to replace the secondary snorkel with carbon, someday, it will be no big deal.

After test driving, I can sense a slightly harder pull (power) in the higher RPM range. Yep... glad I did it.

Here are some photos:

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 07-16-2012 at 04:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff in Tucson:
Bad Cattitude (07-23-2013), The Coupe (12-14-2012), WhiteXKR (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Great solution Jeff, I like the Toro tube a lot. It is great to see new owners finding ways to mod their cars a decade or more after they were 1st built. My car was totally stock for 10 years with the original owner but I am working on finding the maximum potential of our cars. 100K + may be high miles to start but, hey, I am not worried about voiding any warranties

Did you rebuild the suspension yourself?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

You may actually have done better than the 4.2 version as there is no mention of a secondary snorkel in the original thread. That would mean the flap just opens into the engine compartment and sucks in more air, but it is not cold air.

How is the induction sound with the extra snorkel and no resonator tubes?

The following users liked this post:
steveinfrance (07-17-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Default Suspension and whine

rocklandjag: I had the suspension work done at Falconworks Jaguar repair in Tucson. I'll have them do my intercooler and Avos' supercharger install next Spring. =) I'll be installing a water/methanol injection system myself in about 2 months (I'll do the smaller jobs).

plums: It seemed to make sense to reach over *into* the cold air supply with a snorkel, rather than just cut a hole in the front to equal the 4.2 set up. The risk of bringing hot air in is higher without the snorkel. The whine is fine, sir. It seems to whine a bit more with things opened up and no presence of silencer tubes. I left a friend off at his place of work after lunch today; he spoke to me later to see if my car was OK, due to an obnoxious whine that he heard coming from my car as I sped away. Haaaaah!

Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default sensor changes

I wonder if the added air would change the way the sensors MAP and MAF would operate?

Would the sensors adjust automatically to the increased airflow?

A XKR supercharger has both types of sensors.

Would this create more whine (noise) at acceleration?

What would benefits of added cool air flow be?
Power, MPG, Happier Engine, Cooler oil, Cooler Coolant Etc.?

Thanks and
Happy Motoring...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vettegood
I wonder if the added air would change the way the sensors MAP and MAF would operate?
Not in the least. The change is upstream of the air filter.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
You may actually have done better than the 4.2 version as there is no mention of a secondary snorkel in the original thread. That would mean the flap just opens into the engine compartment and sucks in more air, but it is not cold air.

How is the induction sound with the extra snorkel and no resonator tubes?
Sorry Plums, pressed the 'Thanks' button while aiming for 'Quote' - more OF disease but you get another 'Ta'!
Yes, you're right, I don't know if you saw my post that mine had stuck open, so I was getting warm air all the time.
I don't know what tells the flap to open - it isn't the kickdown switch alone since it doesn't open with ignition on + WOT when 'training' the throttle.
Short of wiring an LED across the drive I don't know how to see when it works.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Sorry Plums, pressed the 'Thanks' button while aiming for 'Quote' - more OF disease but you get another 'Ta'!
Yes, you're right, I don't know if you saw my post that mine had stuck open, so I was getting warm air all the time.
I don't know what tells the flap to open - it isn't the kickdown switch alone since it doesn't open with ignition on + WOT when 'training' the throttle.
There was a manual page posted by someone in the original thread. The page has some discussion of the factors that the ECM takes into account. It must be a table that sums up all the factors and makes a decision. Apparently, it is not a full open/closed logic. It can open in degrees according to the amount of vacuum applied.

You could always tie a piece of ribbon to the flap and let it dangle out the hood seam. The degree of opening is the amount of ribbon flapping in the breeze

Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
The whine is fine, sir. It seems to whine a bit more with things opened up and no presence of silencer tubes. I left a friend off at his place of work after lunch today; he spoke to me later to see if my car was OK, due to an obnoxious whine that he heard coming from my car as I sped away. Haaaaah!
That whine was likely you screaming out "wheeeeeeee" as you pulled away!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Probably needs 3000 RPM plus Throttle Open.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Default More oomph...

I've never had a car with an ECU that 'learns' from changes to the vehicle like this car.

I swear it feels like it is way more powerful in the higher RPM range today. FUN!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Default A little cheese with my whine, please.

I shot a short video of driving up a steep grade on the mountain which allows you to hear the extra whine that I've got now. There is a bit more power at the high end, too. (One hand on the steering wheel and one for the camera... no super-fast cornering in this video. Hah!)

Last edited by Jeff in Tucson; 09-02-2012 at 03:25 PM. Reason: PM sent
The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (10-12-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Default Sounds with convertible top and windows up:

Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello all
I just did the additional tube on the front of the air box into the hole I added in the headlight beauty plate cover and it is a NOTICIBLE difference. Oh yeah, I also added a fiberglass bubble to the top of the intake tube where it makes the 90 deg turn into the butterfly housing.......there is a LO of room under the hood for this change. I coated the whole thing with plastidip. It works great and looks pretty stock.
Again.....Noticible improvement.....girlfriend noticed it immediately and wants me to do the intake system on here xj8.......even easier than the XK8, but will just have to make a cover for behind the headlight to create a hole to seal tube from hot engine compartment air

Old 06-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Old thread and I'm glad this "feels" like an improvement but I call it a little bit of a false improvement.

I run a scanguage in my car and have a Mina intake which replaced the stock air box. Monitoring the intake air temp from the MAP sensor and at speed the intake air temp stays about 10 degrees above ambeint air temp. Sitting at a stop light it will climb but drops quickly as soon as the car starts making rpm's.

Granted the mod may provide cooler air while stopped but other wise the Mina intake does not cause the car to ingest hotter air than a stock setup and the intake sound is wonderful!

Jaguar XK8 & XKR Performance Intake Kit 2003-2006 models - Mina Gallery Inc

Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Old thread and I'm glad this "feels" like an improvement but I call it a little bit of a false improvement.

I run a scanguage in my car and have a Mina intake which replaced the stock air box. Monitoring the intake air temp from the MAP sensor and at speed the intake air temp stays about 10 degrees above ambeint air temp. Sitting at a stop light it will climb but drops quickly as soon as the car starts making rpm's.

Granted the mod may provide cooler air while stopped but other wise the Mina intake does not cause the car to ingest hotter air than a stock setup and the intake sound is wonderful!

Jaguar XK8 & XKR Performance Intake Kit 2003-2006 models - Mina Gallery Inc
Thank you for taking the time to do this..I just got one myself and got a little bit wary after members said that it's a hot air intake...I guess your observation proved that it's not.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

+1 on the Mina Gallery intake air temperature. I have the Torque app for my phone, and while driving the intake air temperature stays within 5-8 degress of ambient.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Don't like to be a spoilsport - but one of the reasons why I didn't buy an R (there was one next to the 8 I bought in the Lot) is because under acceleration it sounds like the diff is shott. With the mod it sounds like the diff is REALLY shott!!

Old 08-31-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for posting your experimental work. Your pictures are no longer available though. Can you add them back to the site where they're referenced?

Gary