XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Start (the Rev's fuel pump valve problem)

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts
Default Slow Start (the Rev's fuel pump valve problem)

I recently developed the slow start problem with all the tell tale signs of a bad check valve letting the fuel drain back to the tank after some sit time.

I'm not against pulling the pump and attempting a repair but I'm curious what the experience has been from those who fixed vs replaced the pump.

It's a pricey thing but also a PITA to change so if the the experience is that the repair doesn't buy a significant amount of additional life, then I'm inclined to go ahead get a new one now, rather than change it twice.

What's the verdict?

Old 08-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Help my be within these lines....

Heaven help you, my friend...

Here's two good threads to read:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-runner-61147/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...tunists-61394/

You are correct in thinking that buying a new pump module (near to $1000.00 on any 2003-2006 XKR but waaaay less expensive on earlier models) would be the route to a better chance of not having to do the job more than once. I obtained a salvaged pump for mine and I cant remember, but I think the Reverend did also. If the electric pump is still good and all that you find when you open up the tank is little pieces of fatigued plastic check valve, you MAY be able to be creative and put them back together and have it work fine again. But, if you have the $$$$ buy the entire unit.

By the way, YOU CAN NOT purchase the individual parts that make up the entire Pump, swirl pot, check valve module. VDO makes them and one of their senior techs told me that VDO is under contract with Jaguar NOT to sell any individual parts to that pump module to anyone else.... Thanks Jag.!

Believe me, if/when mine goes out again, I fully intend on sourcing a electric pump from a Ford GT supercar (about $400) and building myself another full module with the parts from the two I have. I'm stubborn that way!

Good Luck,

Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I had the fuel pump in my 2004 xk8 go bad, not a check valve issue, but just not pumping enough volume under load, making bad buzzing noise etc. I had the jaguar dealership replace the fuel pump at $1200 just for the part. That pump was fine for about 2 weeks, then had this same slow start issue you and rev Sam had... dealer confirmed pressure at the rail was quickly dropping when the car was shut off, confirmed it was a bad check valve on the new pump. Dealer replaced pump again...a couple of weeks later same issue, bad check valve again, so they replaced again. This time the new pump worked for 3 weeks until same issue. So the dealer requested a pump from a different warehouse with a different build date, thinking there was a bad batch of pumps from the manufacturer. This pump lasted 8 weeks until same problem. Dealer checked everything to be sure it isn't something else, but sure enough the pump again was bad, check valve again. I know it sounds highly unlikely but it is fact. Each time, they confirm pressure loss at the rail, replace pump, confirm no pressure loss after replacement, ans so on and so on. I have only had to pay for the initial replacement, and they have provided a free loaner (2012 xf each time). My point is, if you replace it yourself and get a rash of bad pumps, you are stuck having to do all the labor yourself each time, and, good luck getting them to believe all those pumps are bad wherever you buy them from. I would say that if you are going to do anything yourself, repair the check valve rather than replace the pump.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Steve,
Go buy yourself a lottery ticket, you can't lose!

That is indeed a scary rash of failures. Irritating to be sure, but at least the dealer isn't giving you a hassle about doing it again (and again and again).

I think that's two votes for doing the whole module, and having a professional do the job.

I haven't had any running issues so far, but I got on her a little pulling out into the street today and heard some detonation. This is something that has never happened before, so further suggests fuel starvation and that I'm treading on thin ice.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by maxwdg
Thanks, those were two threads I hadn't dug up and a useful read.

Originally Posted by maxwdg
But, if you have the $$$$ buy the entire unit.

By the way, YOU CAN NOT purchase the individual parts that make up the entire Pump, swirl pot, check valve module. VDO makes them and one of their senior techs told me that VDO is under contract with Jaguar NOT to sell any individual parts to that pump module to anyone else.... Thanks Jag.!
I can afford it but that's really not the point...

<bourbon fueled rant>
As an engineer who builds complex systems for a living, and in some cases systems not so different than a PWM controlled pump, I find this whole thing pretty outrageous.

Not only does a $80k car deserve better engineering than this, there is no excuse for the cost of this part. For the most part I have found maintenance and parts for this car more or less reasonable in cost and complexity but this fuel pump thing smells of being one of those "because we can" moments.

Honestly, if one of my suppliers told me it cost a grand for something like this they would get an earful of expletives and in the end it would be made of billet aluminum and still cost half as much.

Actually, that's not a half bad idea. I should take the old one apart to reverse engineer its delicate bits and have them remade in lead and rock and other materials that are more fitting of a Jaguar.
</bourbon fueled rant>